Home golf simulator

Dannyc

Visit site
Has anybody got any realistic prices for home set up
I’ve been speaking to someone from golfeurope.com first I found on internet and as good as they are from pictures 35 grand for his cheapest full set up is just ridiculous
Help please if u can

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been looking at one my self. I reckon for 3k ish I'll be able to build a decent setup built around sky trak
Yes that’s where a friend got to with the bits and bobs. However there is the room or building required to accommodate. He bought a shed 4x6m and I think that was what ever you could manage. Also it needs insulation and noise deadening (which people genuinely overlook)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm moving home soon and will be looking to buy a house with a garage to set up in.
My advice is get it installed quickly if you have a partner or all kinds of rubbish will make its way in there ;). My mx5 nearly got booted out and I have a load of wire garden obelisks, prams, photography lighting taking up my man space !

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And make sure you look at headroom. They reckon 10 foot ideally, and not many garages are anywhere near that...
Part of that is clearance for the overhead projector, so could be reduced down if you forego that option. I was thinking about this and I think I would consider removing some garage floor to achieve that.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Part of that is clearance for the overhead projector, so could be reduced down if you forego that option. I was thinking about this and I think I would consider removing some garage floor to achieve that.
Hope the MX5 has good suspension when you drive it back in.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope the MX5 has good suspension when you drive it back in.
Yeah the options are outside garage or use a false floor.
The problem is the wife, she doesn’t want a home office, despite there being a suitable place in the front garden where the grass is moss, there is some rampant bush and a garage wall .. so a discrete light olive green wall with trellis and a couple of climbing roses would do the business

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If it’s at home would you actually use it? When I do the back garden I contemplated either a putting green or decent range net similar to what most clubs have on the first tee and the misses asked “ would you actually use it? Surely you would rather go to the range or to the clubs short game area “

We only live a mile from the club so I think she had a point

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have thought about a sim, but actually, I use my net for the odd 10 minutes here and there. I don't think I would use it much more than I do anyway.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Mine is in my pitched roof garage. I had half the beams raised for £300 with 10 year guarantee on the work. £180 for a decent impact screen (golf bays uk). £400 for a proper range mat that holds tees 3x3m (golf swing systems) £530 for a beng mx631st short throw projector (projector point). Sky track for about £1800 plus £80p/a licence. Oh and I have my screen at the door end so I can hang things on the back wall so £70 for steel wire rope to hang the screen. £10 for big washers and bolts to pin one side of the screen to the wall and the I have a single detachable small bungee to fix it to the other wall as you need a little give to stop the stress and rebound from the screen.

That all in all is quite a quality setup. I had cheaper to start like white curtains for a screen, an £80 projector and some basic astroturf which all did the job initially.

Don’t underestimate the space you need in there. My garage is virtually empty. Before I got the beam raised from 8ft I was swing through the gaps with wedges but it wasn’t great.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
If it’s at home would you actually use it? When I do the back garden I contemplated either a putting green or decent range net similar to what most clubs have on the first tee and the misses asked “ would you actually use it? Surely you would rather go to the range or to the clubs short game area “

I live 10 mins from my range but would rather be in my garage with my simulator 90% of my range time. Especially this time of year. Saves the cost of balls, no elements to work on and I use the balls I use on the course. I still hit the range once a week to see a real ball in the elements

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Good point. I have a range five - ten minutes (depending on traffic) and another about twenty minutes away plus the club practice facilities. I get the fact you can learn from the monitor and the stats but personally I prefer to see a ball flight and where possible hit off grass. I admire the dedication and ingenuity of those that have set up simulators in their house/garage but for me I am sure it would be a "five minute wonder"

Given the fact one of the local ranges now has Toptracer, I think I can get all the information I'd need down there. Given the costs as Jigger laid them down, that's an awful lot of range baskets to get through to match the cost

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Good point. I have a range five - ten minutes (depending on traffic) and another about twenty minutes away plus the club practice facilities. I get the fact you can learn from the monitor and the stats but personally I prefer to see a ball flight and where possible hit off grass. I admire the dedication and ingenuity of those that have set up simulators in their house/garage but for me I am sure it would be a "five minute wonder"

Given the fact one of the local ranges now has Toptracer, I think I can get all the information I'd need down there. Given the costs as Jigger laid them down, that's an awful lot of range baskets to get through to match the cost
Definitely an argument for seeing your actual ball and toptracer ranges will allow you to do the other stuff like gapping etc. It’s just the damn wind and cold here in the north east homer.

What I would say is that I’ve often took my sky track to the range too with it being so mobile. Largely stays in the garage these days after the work I’ve had done.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m pretty spoiled if I’m honest:

My own club, less than a mile and has a great outdoor short game area including chipping green, putting green and bunker all the same as on course. An open range where you can use grass areas and an inside simulator. Only downside is our range has uncovered bays and is not floodlit.

A neighbouring club is less than 3/4 mile away and has a two tier floodlit which is great for just working on drills.

Two ranges with 5-7 miles fitted with pro tracer bays

A club within 5 miles that is an open unlit range similar to my own but a slightly better chipping area.

Looking back I have realised that I have some great facilities local, just no bloody time to use them. Time to look for a new job!

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends on the finish you want, a rough and ready, doing it yourself one can be done for under 3k. If you want a good finish with nice surround, astroturf, hd screen and projector from a proffesional you are 10k plus. As has been said there will likely be electrical work, insulating and boarding and other bits. I have done a few if you want to pm me feel free.