Home contents insurance

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have a policy that includes cover for your golf clubs and trolleys in your car or at your club can you please let me know who it is with. Thanks

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
If you have a policy that includes cover for your golf clubs and trolleys in your car or at your club can you please let me know who it is with. Thanks
Can you not just add things on to your policy? Every time I renew they always ask if there's anything you want to insure specifically.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You need personal possessions cover for your contents, you can pick a value eg £5,000 of personal possession cover away from the home. This means any items stolen while away from the home will be covered up to the amount covered. Some policies will require you to specify individual items over a certain amount for example Ping Golf club set - £2,500 may need to be specified rather than unspecified.

Most policies cover golf clubs in this way however if you have cover for items stolen from your car via your car insurance that is likely to take precedence over home insurance.

If you aren't really sure what you are doing speak to a Broker.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have separate golf cover which covers all my specified equipment whilst in the car whether or not I am travelling to and from the course, but only if the equipment is not visible from outside ie in the boot. I asked my home insurance provider if they could provide the same cover but they would only cover me for taking equipment to and from the course. My golf cover, which is around £60 pa, covers me new for old, international travel, third party and personal injury. For that cost I think it is better cover than the house policy.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have separate golf cover which covers all my specified equipment whilst in the car whether or not I am travelling to and from the course, but only if the equipment is not visible from outside ie in the boot. I asked my home insurance provider if they could provide the same cover but they would only cover me for taking equipment to and from the course. My golf cover, which is around £60 pa, covers me new for old, international travel, third party and personal injury. For that cost I think it is better cover than the house policy.

Who is that with Clive?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can you not just add things on to your policy? Every time I renew they always ask if there's anything you want to insure specifically.
You need personal possessions cover for your contents, you can pick a value eg £5,000 of personal possession cover away from the home. This means any items stolen while away from the home will be covered up to the amount covered. Some policies will require you to specify individual items over a certain amount for example Ping Golf club set - £2,500 may need to be specified rather than unspecified.

Most policies cover golf clubs in this way however if you have cover for items stolen from your car via your car insurance that is likely to take precedence over home insurance.

If you aren't really sure what you are doing speak to a Broker.

Thanks both. I understand personal possessions away from home but wasn't sure if specific sports equipment was needed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use Direct Line and have it covered including all the stuff that is left at the golf club.
Not sure about left in the car overnight as I never do it anyway

One important bit for me is that they also cover me for third party liability when I am using my own buggy and several companies would not.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not likely allthough both may share the risk. There is a much lower level of cover for personal possessions in the car and probably no where near sufficient to cover golf clubs.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Not likely allthough both may share the risk. There is a much lower level of cover for personal possessions in the car and probably no where near sufficient to cover golf clubs.
Again that depends on your cover. For example if you have a Chubb/Hiscox/Zurich Private Clients/Aviva HNW policy all will cover you for more than enough. Again the better the policy the better the cover, but most likely you are right :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again that depends on your cover. For example if you have a Chubb/Hiscox/Zurich Private Clients/Aviva HNW policy all will cover you for more than enough. Again the better the policy the better the cover, but most likely you are right :)
You having mentioned Aviva I checked my policy - Personal Belongings cover is £200

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
We are insured with Tesco.
I have cover for 2 sets of clubs and 2 trolleys for me and the boy. Plus bikes and other stuff. All new for old.

The golf club cover was at no extra cost.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You having mentioned Aviva I checked my policy - Personal Belongings cover is £200
Aviva HNW (HNW = High Net Worth not Aviva standard) you know there are lost of different products for all types of clients including those who are willing to spend a little more to get more cover.

Most policies fall in to 2 categories - Standard and High Net Worth. There is mid net worth but not as much choice or wide a coverage. A decent high net worth policy in motor might cost you £1k+ instead of £700 odd quid but they come with all the bells and whistles as standard including breakdown, european driving, driving any car, having anyone drive yours , legal expenses, large personal belongings cover, agreed value and so on. Not suitable for everyone but there are really good policies out there and their claims service is a lot better than the standard arm, they employ different staff and claims team to work on these products unlike the call centre mentality for standard market.

To be fair, and it isn't fair the wealthy get better products and better service but have to pay for it, which of course they can afford.

Last edited:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
To add, we were informed that Zurich have from 1st January 2024 have pulled out of the standard home and motor market and are only offering policies via their High Net Worth teams and market. I have 2 motor policies with Zurich and recently and had an idiot ram my car and Zurich hjd a brand new curtesey car with 24 hours and the car repaired within 10 days, amazing service especially as it was a non fault claim on my part and my premium is under £500