• YES

Votes: 34 32.7%
  • UNDECIDED

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At risk of misrepresenting what the Transport Secretary said yesterday morning...I think he was very clear. I quote from his interview on the Today programme yesterday morning.

"People shouldn't be booking holidays right now, not domestically or internationally...On the shrinking chance that there's anybody listening to this interview at the stage and thinking of booking a holiday under the current circumstances...please don't go ahead and book holidays for something which at this stage is illegal actually to go and do...Wait until the situation is clear...Do nothing at this stage"

D-S

Visit site
At risk of misrepresenting what the Transport Secretary said yesterday morning...I think he was very clear. I quote from his interview on the Today programme yesterday morning.

"People shouldn't be booking holidays right now, not domestically or internationally...On the shrinking chance that there's anybody listening to this interview at the stage and thinking of booking a holiday under the current circumstances...please don't go ahead and book holidays for something which at this stage is illegal actually to go and do...Wait until the situation is clear...Do nothing at this stage"
Well that advice kills off pre booking Autumn, Winter and 2022 holidays as well then.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Illegal really .
He needs to sort out the European football and Rugby ,Cricket etc.
Far to many exemptions to make it illegal for Joe Public.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do nothing, wait for a mad rush and pay over the odds.............I would be staggered if holidays in England at least are not happening, all of the UK in reality, so if that is all that is on offer then I don't blame anyone for booking now. If covid means it can't happen then nothing is lost. Pretty much all booking sites are giving a covid escape route so there is no risk on that front. Overseas..........more unlikely

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does rather leave us hostage to fortune given we have a week in Cornwall booked for June :(

But currently a 2021 holiday out of the country is nowhere on our radar, and we'd be very surprised if that changed. And TBH we are not bothered. Neither of us have ever felt we needed a holiday abroad - we like one - we don't need one.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Do nothing, wait for a mad rush and pay over the odds.............I would be staggered if holidays in England at least are not happening, all of the UK in reality, so if that is all that is on offer then I don't blame anyone for booking now. If covid means it can't happen then nothing is lost. Pretty much all booking sites are giving a covid escape route so there is no risk on that front. Overseas..........more unlikely

Exactly, as long as you do your research in terms of Covid cancellation policy with whoever you are booking with you'd be silly to sit and wait. Availability and cost will be a huge issue should they announce that holidays in the UK can happen but there will be no travel abroad.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Exactly, as long as you do your research in terms of Covid cancellation policy with whoever you are booking with you'd be silly to sit and wait. Availability and cost will be a huge issue should they announce that holidays in the UK can happen but there will be no travel abroad.
Not what the Transport Secretary is telling us...

Last edited:

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree, and on that basis we have just booked a week in Devon in mid June. If lockdown prohibits us from going we can opt for a refund or voucher. As we have no plans to go abroad if it gets deferred (at least if the deferment is reasonable, and not 2022!) that is something I am comfortable with (both being retired).

And I think Shapps' advice isn't being heeded - one holiday cottage website I looked at said only 19% of summer bookings were still available for their cottages.

D

Deleted member 18588

As I heard it Shapps was quite clear in that he said No to holidays abroad this summer, and also that 'nobody' was actually at the moment even thinking of booking a holiday abroad (I'll maybe go listen to his interview again just so that I am not misrepresenting). Johnson said something different.
What an insidious little man you are.

Constantly sniping and attempting to circumvent the rules on politicising threads.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally I think covid passports create an unnecessary discrimination and would not be required once the full vaccine programme has been rolled out. If introduced before, this would disadvantage those who have not been fully immunised and would cause tremendous dissatisfaction for those that are free to travel.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What an insidious little man you are.

Constantly sniping and attempting to circumvent the rules on politicising threads.
I try and circumvent nothing - the question on this thread was about holidaying abroad. I have quoted verbatim what the Transport Secretary has advised us yesterday in respect of holidaying abroad. There can surely be NOTHING more relevant to this discussion than what we are being advised by the minister in charge, and I make no comment whatsoever on whether I agree with him - or the policy - or not.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes, Easyjet flights booked in August with free re-booking anytime up to 14-days before departure and Apartment booked via Booking.com with free cancellation - prices rising by the day, i saw it as a low risk activity and one that - by God - we would love to get the chance to explore.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Indeed. And perhaps there we have why we are in the mess we are in...we listen to what Ministers say (well some of us do) and then we decide whether or not to follow what they tell us to do (or to not do). Many of us then make our own decisions based upon our own wishes and circumstances rather what we are advised is best for the widest benefit.

To be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make? My decision to book a holiday in August has absolutely no bearing on anyone else and does not impact on the 'widest benefit'. If holidays are allowed I will go, if holidays are not allowed I will not. No one else is impacted so I have absolutely not idea why you seem to be implying that the decision I am making is in anyway going to negatively affect anyone else?

D

Deleted member 18588

I try and circumvent nothing - the question on this thread was about holidaying abroad. I have quoted verbatim what the Transport Secretary has advised us yesterday in respect of holidaying abroad. There can surely be NOTHING more relevant to this discussion than what we are being advised by the minister in charge, and I make no comment whatsoever on whether I agree with him - or the policy - or not.

Disingenuous!

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, Easyjet flights booked in August with free re-booking anytime up to 14-days before departure and Apartment booked via Booking.com with free cancellation - prices rising by the day, i saw it as a low risk activity and one that - by God - we would love to get the chance to explore.

Quite right, you have done your research and you know the risk should you not be able to travel. As I said, I see it as a no brainer to go ahead and book a holiday now on the basis that you know what the cancellation policies are etc. I can only see prices going through the roof regardless of what scenario occurs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
To be honest I have no idea what point you are trying to make? My decision to book a holiday in August has absolutely no bearing on anyone else and does not impact on the 'widest benefit'. If holidays are allowed I will go, if holidays are not allowed I will not. No one else is impacted so I have absolutely not idea why you seem to be implying that the decision I am making is in anyway going to negatively affect anyone else?
Point is simply that throughout many of us hear what we are told are the rules and the guidance, and then increasingly we do pretty much what we want or decide is appropriate for our own needs and circumstances. And what we decide for ourselves is not always going to be to the wider benefit in respect of reducing the risk of us transmitting the virus and/or moving it around the country. Just how I see where we are today. As far as booking a holiday - well we just take the risk we lose it.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Point is simply that throughout many of us hear what we are told are the rules and the guidance, and then increasingly we do pretty much what we want or decide is appropriate for our own needs and circumstances. And what we decide for ourselves is not always going to be to the wider benefit in respect of reducing the risk of us transmitting the virus and/or moving it around the country. Just how I see where we are today.

I agree if you were talking about something that would directly affect others in the sense of the virus however we are not. I have booked a holiday to Cornwall, I will go if I am allowed and I will not if the government says that I cannot. Which part of that is putting others at risk? I still fail to see what your point his here as the only risk is financial and that is my own personal risk....although it's not as I know what the Covid policy is.

Reactions: ADB

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just how I see where we are today

Also, we are not talking about today, if I were off on holiday today then yes, you would be completely correct and I would be a cretin however I am talking about a booking made for mid-August at which time, I hope, we are not under today's restrictions.