Hole in one - who pays?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just because that is what is done at your club, doesn't mean that it is universal. It's also not very inclusive what if people don't like whisky, don't drink, or are juniors

Ah ha!!! A picky one. A drink has been purchased for you. Enjoy. If you don't like it...tough.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in board comp yesterday, and was in second last group out. Chap in group behind had the perfect hole in one. Got it on our 17, 1 for 5 points. He finsihed with 38 points, and won competition on count back. Being in last group there were only about ten of us in the clubhouse, so a very cheap round of drinks. He won the hole in one kitty, which was probably £100 plus and even got a share of the two's sweep. Not sure how he qualified as he didn't have a two.:unsure:

Now don't start that again!!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have had 4. First time I was 25, newly married, newly mortgaged, playing in the evening with a couple of friends from the club, and we just legged it after the round. I had absolutely zero cash, and neither did they, they were only teenagers. Bar was mobbed, so no chance of going in.

The other 3 were at my present club, where we are covered for up to £200, as part of membership. Get one on the wrong day, and it will still cost, but it is lessened, by the £200.

Outside the club, I would now buy drinks. It is easy to say this now I can afford it.

But please not at the Sunnigdale meet,

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had 4. First time I was 25, newly married, newly mortgaged, playing in the evening with a couple of friends from the club, and we just legged it after the round. I had absolutely zero cash, and neither did they, they were only teenagers. Bar was mobbed, so no chance of going in.

The other 3 were at my present club, where we are covered for up to £200, as part of membership. Get one on the wrong day, and it will still cost, but it is lessened, by the £200.

Outside the club, I would now buy drinks. It is easy to say this now I can afford it.

But please not at the Sunnigdale meet,
If you get one there just declare its Not your ball!

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I've been fortunate enough to have an ace at the fabulous Notts Golf Club on my first ever time playing there and it's a moment I'll remember for a long time.

After the initial excitement and elation I did spend the next few holes worrying about how much my bar bill was going to be, although I was fully prepared to take the hit because I wanted to bask in the moment so to speak.

However because it happened on one of the wettest days of the year (it never stopped raining the whole way round) when we got back to the clubhouse there was no body in there so all I could do was buy a round for my 3 PPs. I actually bought a couple of rounds to make up for it.

It was a strange feeling afterwards because part of me was a bit disappointed not to be able to celebrate with some more people but then also relieved that my bank card didn't take a big hit lol. I'd previously heard of some real horror stories from my home club where blokes have ended up forking out in excess of £300 because they've got a hole in one on a busy hot sunny weekend! I obviously shared the story with all of my friends and family afterwards and then also learnt of the alternative tradition of buying a bottle of whiskey which is what I will do if I'm ever lucky enough to get another one! :D

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As a side observation

Just daydreaming but if I'm lucky enough to get one some day. I'd rather spend £300 on drinks for folk who are there rather than a bottle or two behind the bar for folk to get a drink from who aren't there
Its not that I want to spend £300 (my wife might hit the roof) but not sure why I'd be buying a round for someone that turns up a few days later?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had one at our club championships, 3 years ago. It was the 2nd round of the day, on our par 3 16th. As I was walking up the 18th fairway, there were a ton of people out watching the final groups coming in and all I heard was "congratulations on your hole in one, mine's a pint etc"

That cost me a pretty penny I can tell you. Didn't have insurance either. I did win the 2's money though :-D

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A guy had one last week at our captains day.

No drink was bought and I didn’t ask. I wouldn’t expect a randomer to buy me a drink because he got a hole in one.

If I got one, I would buy a bottle and put it on the bar. Although I tee off at 7 am so I can’t imagine the bar bill being too big anyway!

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
When I got mine on quite a famous par 3 on an Alister Mackenzie designed course ;) I got them in for my 8 mates that were playing together and offered to others that were in the club house at the time, but there were not many in and only a couple took me up so I stuck a bit in the charity collection on the bar.

To be honest if there would have been a packed club house I probably wouldn't have offered everyone, as I was only there for one day on a golf break and would not feel the need to spend a lot of money on strangers I'll never meet again. If I was a member of that club then I would feel a bit differently. Think it's up to the individual who will make the call based on their financial situation, I don't judge strangers I've never met based on if they get a drink in or not after a hole in 1.

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The whole tradition needs to die tbh People can't afford to shed out a few hundred, it is 4 to 5 quid a pint at my gaff and sometimes 50+ people there

At my club if you win a comp it is tradition to buy everyone a drink on the day...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The whole tradition needs to die tbh People can't afford to shed out a few hundred, it is 4 to 5 quid a pint at my gaff and sometimes 50+ people there

At my club if you win a comp it is tradition to buy everyone a drink on the day...

Drink drive laws up here don't allow even one pint to pass your lips and your over the limit.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site

I agree with this a pint at our place is nearer £ 10 than £ 5

I had one a couple of weeks ago in my regular Saturday morning game with mates and brought them a drink

I like the idea of leaving a bottle at the bar

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

A tradition is not the same as an obligation. You make a good point, that when this tradition was first coined the cost of a pint would have been tuppence ha'penny whereas nowadays you'd have to take out a small bank loan to get everyone in the club a drink. The fact that people actually feel the need to take out insurance for this eventuality just shows you how ridiculous it is really, in that respect.