Hole in one - who pays?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bottle of cheap scotch costs around £15, that's all we put on the bar. They take one out of stock and you just replace it next time you go in the bar.
None of my friends are going to drink scotch when they're driving, that would literally serve to buy a drink for everyone but my friends, which is the opposite of what I wanted.

D

Deleted Member 1156

None of my friends are going to drink scotch when they're driving, that would literally serve to buy a drink for everyone but my friends, which is the opposite of what I wanted.
You really don't like spending money do you.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'm planning to get my first hole in one this Saturday (previous planned attempts have so far proved fruitless) Just a social game so I know I won't get added to any board or pick up the keys to a car etc. It will in all likelihood be a never to be repeated, once in a lifetime achievement

Should I survive the actual event itself in a physically fit state to make it back to the clubhouse I will buy drinks, but unlike the strike that yielded the golden egg I will not pre-plan how many drinks I buy and who I will buy drinks for or even what those drinks will be. I'm happy to let these things take their course

& no I don't have insurance to claim it back, although that doesn't mean cost does not matter (I'm still just a worker bee after all) but I wont set a £30, £50 or £100 limit on my celebration, this may mean in the cold light of day I need to retrospectively (& vigorously) negotiate with the barman before settling the tab, but that's a nice problem to have to deal with isn't it?

D

Deleted member 15344

Blimey didn’t think it was that complicated

I’m lucky I have had a few hole in ones - 3 at my home course and 2 away.

At my home course we just ring the bell then put glasses of whiskey on the bar for everyone to have a little drink , if anyone wanted something different who I was playing with I happily bought them a drink . I then replaced the bottle of whiskey - job done , I know most of the members so I don’t mind one bit that they all get a little drink to toast.

On the two away courses one was in a club match against Ellesborough - there I just rung the bell and bought everyone a drink , took the tab back to the club and claimed it back

Next one was at an Invitational Day at Woburn , I won a load of prizes and everyone had buggered off so I bought my fourball and our mates who were also there a drink - claimed it back

I’m also a member of the RAF Golf Association and they kindly pay out £100 for each Hole in One you get 😀

It’s a very strange feeling getting a hole in one , you end up not caring about buying someone a drink because it’s such a unique occasion - have seen about 6 other hole in ones and everyone did something different in regards what they did after about buying drinks but they all celebrated it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am kind of with Orikoru on this one. Yes I do buy cakes in work on my birthday but my reasoning is I am more than happy to eat the ones others bring in so only fair to reciprocate. However if I am ever to get a hole in one I begrudge paying drinks for a club house full of people I never play with and don't know. I don't drink Scotch and so never partake if there is a nip on the bar and I can count on one hand the number of players that have made an ace and offered me a beer instead and if I followed suit would be able to reciprocate and happily buy them a drink. I play in two fairly large roll up groups at weekends and consider all of them regular PP's and so would be happy to get a round in for them. Add in one or two faces around the place I know that I'm happy to buy and have drinks bought for socially that I'd include that would be my limit. I am not going to get a bottle out for the afternoon roll ups I don't know nor for any play and plays that may happen to be playing on the day

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I am kind of with Orikoru on this one. Yes I do buy cakes in work on my birthday but my reasoning is I am more than happy to eat the ones others bring in so only fair to reciprocate. However if I am ever to get a hole in one I begrudge paying drinks for a club house full of people I never play with and don't know. I don't drink Scotch and so never partake if there is a nip on the bar and I can count on one hand the number of players that have made an ace and offered me a beer instead and if I followed suit would be able to reciprocate and happily buy them a drink. I play in two fairly large roll up groups at weekends and consider all of them regular PP's and so would be happy to get a round in for them. Add in one or two faces around the place I know that I'm happy to buy and have drinks bought for socially that I'd include that would be my limit. I am not going to get a bottle out for the afternoon roll ups I don't know nor for any play and plays that may happen to be playing on the day

I don't think reciprocation or drink of choice plays any part in a hole in one celebration, does it?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think reciprocation or drink of choice plays any part in a hole in one celebration, does it?

Like LP said you stick a bottle of whisky on the bar, but if anyone wants something else they can have it, its a hole in one after all !!! shorten your pockets and smile, somethings are worth more than money.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Like LP said you stick a bottle of whisky on the bar, but if anyone wants something else they can have it, its a hole in one after all !!! shorten your pockets and smile, somethings are worth more than money.
I disagree. If I won £50 on a scratch card I wouldn't walk into a pub and buy everyone including strangers a drink. Why should I get strangers a drink for making a hole in one. I never partake when others get one so don't feel any kind of obligation to treat people I don't know to a drink. I would rather enjoy my success with my regular golfing partners and roll up players. Personal choice

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly that - and I don’t drink whiskey so when some has been on the bar I haven’t taken any but a number of times I have been bought a different drink - and that’s also from people I haven’t been playing with.

People have golf insurance for it - it covers a good percentage of your bar bill

Out of my hole in ones I’m prob out of pocket 3 bottles of whiskey over 5 years - don’t need a debt management to help me pay it off

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Think I might have confused you with that post (see post 105 for my opinion on the matter)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I disagree. If I won £50 on a scratch card I wouldn't walk into a pub and buy everyone including strangers a drink. Why should I get strangers a drink for making a hole in one. I never partake when others get one so don't feel any kind of obligation to treat people I don't know to a drink. I would rather enjoy my success with my regular golfing partners and roll up players. Personal choice

Not really a valid comparison HJS, its your choice but I honestly feel your missing out on one of lifes little chances to celebrate (with everybody!!)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So how would you prefer to celebrate your first hole in one , genuine question. :confused:
I said in the first place - I'd buy the round for who I was playing with (chances are I would have done that anyway if it was my turn, but I'd make sure the round was on me), and if there was any other groups in the clubhouse that I knew I'd probably offer them a round. I certainly wouldn't be shouting up drinks for everyone in the building, or else I wouldn't be able to afford to play the following week!

Blimey didn’t think it was that complicated

I’m lucky I have had a few hole in ones - 3 at my home course and 2 away.

At my home course we just ring the bell then put glasses of whiskey on the bar for everyone to have a little drink , if anyone wanted something different who I was playing with I happily bought them a drink . I then replaced the bottle of whiskey - job done , I know most of the members so I don’t mind one bit that they all get a little drink to toast.

On the two away courses one was in a club match against Ellesborough - there I just rung the bell and bought everyone a drink , took the tab back to the club and claimed it back

Next one was at an Invitational Day at Woburn , I won a load of prizes and everyone had buggered off so I bought my fourball and our mates who were also there a drink - claimed it back

I’m also a member of the RAF Golf Association and they kindly pay out £100 for each Hole in One you get 😀

It’s a very strange feeling getting a hole in one , you end up not caring about buying someone a drink because it’s such a unique occasion - have seen about 6 other hole in ones and everyone did something different in regards what they did after about buying drinks but they all celebrated it
Yeah, because it's a unique occasion, that's the reason you don't care, not because you're raking it in and it doesn't cost you penny anyway. :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spoken like a true rich person. :rolleyes: I know you mean well, but phrases like that don't really wash for people who live payday to payday.

D

Deleted member 15344

I said in the first place - I'd buy the round for who I was playing with (chances are I would have done that anyway if it was my turn, but I'd make sure the round was on me), and if there was any other groups in the clubhouse that I knew I'd probably offer them a round. I certainly wouldn't be shouting up drinks for everyone in the building, or else I wouldn't be able to afford to play the following week!

Yeah, because it's a unique occasion, that's the reason you don't care, not because you're raking it in and it doesn't cost you penny anyway. :ROFLMAO:

I’m far from raking in - and not rich or anything else you want to suggest , it’s cost me when I have a hole in one and it hasn’t bothered me one bit

Get insurance and then you are covered for it - just claim back it’s not hard and easily done through the club

Oh also got a nice Hugo Boss watch for one as well 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m far from raking in - and not rich or anything else you want to suggest , it’s cost me when I have a hole in one and it hasn’t bothered me one bit

Get insurance and then you are covered for it - just claim back it’s not hard and easily done through the club

Oh also got a nice Hugo Boss watch for one as well 😂
I cannot afford to shell out insurance to cover something that (a) might never even happen, and (b) isn't even compulsory. I still can't get my head around insurance companies actually paying out for something that is nothing more than an optional social convention. Mind boggles.

D

Deleted member 15344

I cannot afford to shell out insurance to cover something that (a) might never even happen, and (b) isn't even compulsory. I still can't get my head around insurance companies actually paying out for something that is nothing more than an optional social convention. Mind boggles.
It’s around £25 a year or some banks do it for £10 a year !! And it’s not just about covering for a hole in one it’s mainly to cover for any damage or loss or theft of golf clubs, it also gives you personal liability plus if you cause damage to a car for example you are covered. Not clever to have no golf insurance when it’s cheap to buy - you also get some free stuff when you take it out as well

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s around £25 a year or some banks do it for £10 a year !! And it’s not just about covering for a hole in one it’s mainly to cover for any damage or loss or theft of golf clubs, it also gives you personal liability plus if you cause damage to a car for example you are covered. Not clever to have no golf insurance when it’s cheap to buy - you also get some free stuff when you take it out as well

Most insurance policies, certainly the one I have for personal liability and theft etc only covers for a hole in one in an official club comp. Get it in a roll up game, especially on a busy weekend and it could leave a person out of pocket. Like Orikoru, I live payday to payday and so a big and unexpected hole in my outgoings could cause issues.