Hole in one - who pays?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s around £25 a year or some banks do it for £10 a year !! And it’s not just about covering for a hole in one it’s mainly to cover for any damage or loss or theft of golf clubs, it also gives you personal liability plus if you cause damage to a car for example you are covered. Not clever to have no golf insurance when it’s cheap to buy - you also get some free stuff when you take it out as well
I'll be fine, but thanks for the sales pitch. :p

Edit: I think they said our membership includes some kind of insurance this year anyway... can't remember now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Edit: I think they said our membership includes some kind of insurance this year anyway... can't remember now.

If I was still at the old place in fife I'd definitly be taking up some insurance (hopefully with HIO cover thrown in)
Side by side fairways, dog walkers & car park next to 18th fairway leaves too many chances to smack someone on the noggin or ding the captains motor ;)

Some courses are just not set up for golf :unsure:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

If you think coughing up for a bar bill might be hefty, just think what it could be if you accidently hit someone and injured them, without insurance you could lose everything. For a minimal outlay you could cover that, in this day and age I think its a very valid and necessary option.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you think coughing up for a bar bill might be hefty, just think what it could be if you accidently hit someone and injured them, without insurance you could lose everything. For a minimal outlay you could cover that, in this day and age I think its a very valid and necessary option.
It's alright, I never miss a fairway anyway. ;)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's alright, I never miss a fairway anyway. ;)

Seriously ? If I were to be hit by a ball and injured sufficiently to need time off work I would have little option other than to persue a claim against the person who struck the ball whether I new them or not, look at recent case history, claimants have received 6 figure sums, I don't think its something than can be discounted lightly and I hate paying for insurance just as much as the next man.

D

Deleted member 1147

I disagree. If I won £50 on a scratch card I wouldn't walk into a pub and buy everyone including strangers a drink. Why should I get strangers a drink for making a hole in one. I never partake when others get one so don't feel any kind of obligation to treat people I don't know to a drink. I would rather enjoy my success with my regular golfing partners and roll up players. Personal choice
I don't think scratch cards are part of golfing tradition - not really comparable :rolleyes:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seriously ? If I were to be hit by a ball and injured sufficiently to need time off work I would have little option other than to persue a claim against the person who struck the ball whether I new them or not, look at recent case history, claimants have received 6 figure sums, I don't think its something than can be discounted lightly and I hate paying for insurance just as much as the next man.
Our course is heavily tree-lined, and while I was obviously joking about hitting every fairway, it is extremely rare, that I'll hit a big high slice or hook that actually clears the trees to reach another hole. Chances of me hitting someone are probably on a par with my chances of getting the hole in one.

You have given me food for thought though. I will look into this insurance that they mentioned with our membership, because I'm not sure what it covers to be honest. If it's useless I might look at personal golf insurance, but I'm just not going to be in a position to go for it unless it's very, very cheap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
all i can say is its just as well we are not on a Japanese golf forum, i'm lead to believe that if you get a HIO there you have to buy all your PP a new set of clubs... or at least thats what ive been told..

Orikoru.... make sure you never play with any Japanese:LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
all i can say is its just as well we are not on a Japanese golf forum, i'm lead to believe that if you get a HIO there you have to buy all your PP a new set of clubs... or at least thats what ive been told..

lol what the hell? Give me an hour on eBay, I can probably buy two sets of clubs for less than the cost of a round these days. ;)

D

Deleted member 21258

After hitting a person with a golf ball fairly soon after taking up golf, it took me back a bit and I would not be without the insurance, to cover any claims.

It isn't to protect me at that time, as I had nothing to lose back then, but to ensure if I hit someone on say the head and disabled them, that they were covered.

As a result the insurance was there to ensure they would be able to claim and would have money to help them along life's future hard path. (yeah it also cover HIO, if I ever get one)

So the insurance was for them not for me. Worth thinking about that for a moment, if you don't have insurance......

D

Deleted member 1147

The dent in my trolley, following a slight snaphook by Kraxx on the 3rd tee at Camberley, tells me that I wouldn't want to be without insurance!
If a ball can do that to metal I'd hate to think what it'd do to a person :eek:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

I thought they had to throw a big party? At least that's what happened in EAL's Adventures in Golf episode in Japan.

Love this series so much.