Hole in one - who pays?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Obviously, but the very idea of it doesn't make sense to me. It's like getting 'wedding insurance' in case you decide to get married one day and they'll come and pay the catering for you. :ROFLMAO:

but like most insurance its paying for something that might not happen (HIO) where as marriage the premiums would be pretty high;)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually can't understand how or why it exists. Insurance for a social convention?? If you can't afford to buy everybody a drink then just don't! I can't get my head around there being insurance for that.

Because a majority of people will follow the tradition of buying everyone a drink, and for the cost to insurance company is minimal and the odds of it happening to a policy holder are very high. So they put it in as an inducement

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because a majority of people will follow the tradition of buying everyone a drink, and for the cost to insurance company is minimal and the odds of it happening to a policy holder are very high. So they put it in as an inducement
Fair enough, cheers for that explanation as that makes more sense to me when you put it that way. I just found it odd because usually you insure against things which are out of your control that force you to be out of pocket, whereas in this instance you're not really forced to hand over any cash, you choose to.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fair enough, cheers for that explanation as that makes more sense to me when you put it that way. I just found it odd because usually you insure against things which are out of your control that force you to be out of pocket, whereas in this instance you're not really forced to hand over any cash, you choose to.

I'm sorta with you on this, claiming the money back does kinda devalue the gesture you made when by buying a celebratory round

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm sorta with you on this, claiming the money back does kinda devalue the gesture you made when by buying a celebratory round

Because of rising costs of booze etc the same tradition that wouldn't have been a big deal decades ago could potentially be extremely costly now-a-days. If you actually buy a drink for everyone and not a bottle it could ne £100s

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
There were 2 people in the bar when I got my first. 😂😂 and they didn't want a drink.
I think if there were lot id just by a bottle of something.
On the same token if someone wants to not buy drinks then that is also a perfectly acceptable choice and sad to see some of the responses on here. Welcoming sport my arse.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Because of rising costs of booze etc the same tradition that wouldn't have been a big deal decades ago could potentially be extremely costly now-a-days. If you actually buy a drink for everyone and not a bottle it could ne £100s

Totally get the cost aspect. Just asking if it takes the edge off a tad when you say 'I want to take part in the tradition of buying everyone a round for my hole in one... as long as someone else pays for it'

I guess if the HIO insurance component is 'thrown in' as a freebie with the policy that's primarily for club theft/causing injury etc I absolutely see why people would use it since its there, but if they reimburse 100% of the round, the lucky player didn't actually buy anyone a drink

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Totally get the cost aspect. Just asking if it takes the edge off a tad when you say 'I want to take part in the tradition of buying everyone a round for my hole in one... as long as someone else pays for it'

I guess if the HIO insurance component is 'thrown in' as a freebie with the policy that's primarily for club theft/causing injury etc I absolutely see why people would use it since its there, but if they reimburse 100% of the round, the lucky player didn't actually buy anyone a drink

I get what you're saying, but with the cost of doing it I think the tradition would totally die out if people didn't have insurance. It is part of my policy so if I'm lucky enough to get one I will get everyone a drink knowing I can get most of if not all my money back. If it was just out of my own pocket then I probably wouldn't as I couldn't afford the bar bill.

Also, what do people who are getting a free drink care if the guy is getting reimbursed. They are getting a free drink. You could also argue that I am paying for it by taking out insurance. For al the years I pay insurance and don't get a hole in one take it as an accumulative addition to a bar tab

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why on earth is this still being discussed when it has been answered?

Hole in one?

Buy a bottle of whiskey from the bar, if it's your club, borrow one and replace it the next time your in.
Job done.

ooo and as for the divot thing, pet hate for me too,

New rule. On the fairway. If the player thinks his ball is lying in a divot, (the player has the sole decision on this) he can mark his ball and have a one free drop no more than 15cm from where his ball came to rest, no nearer the hole.
Job done.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Why on earth is this still being discussed when it has been answered?

Hole in one?

Buy a bottle of whiskey from the bar, if it's your club, borrow one and replace it the next time your in.
Job done.

ooo and as for the divot thing, pet hate for me too,

New rule. On the fairway. If the player thinks his ball is lying in a divot, (the player has the sole decision on this) he can mark his ball and have a one free drop no more than 15cm from where his ball came to rest, no nearer the hole.
Job done.

Just because that is what is done at your club, doesn't mean that it is universal. It's also not very inclusive what if people don't like whisky, don't drink, or are juniors

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but with the cost of doing it I think the tradition would totally die out if people didn't have insurance. It is part of my policy so if I'm lucky enough to get one I will get everyone a drink knowing I can get most of if not all my money back. If it was just out of my own pocket then I probably wouldn't as I couldn't afford the bar bill.

Also, what do people who are getting a free drink care if the guy is getting reimbursed. They are getting a free drink. You could also argue that I am paying for it by taking out insurance. For al the years I pay insurance and don't get a hole in one take it as an accumulative addition to a bar tab

Yup, and it follows I guess that anyone claiming the cost back via insurance wouldn't judge another player without insurance who didn't buy a round (although the cynic in me says there's a few out there)

D

Deleted member 21258

Paying out for a bottle or drinks, would be the least thing on my mind if I ever get a hole in one, I would be far to busy doing a sully around the course ;):ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21258

snip I also have no hesitation buying a drink for all my playing partners after the round. In fact when I host people from on here at my club I'll usually buy breakfast or lunch for them snip

That's really generous and thoughtful.:cool: That has never crossed my mind, like posts that get me thinking about my own actions, thanks D4S.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
I made a hole in one at an away course, not in a comp (so no insurance cover).

I bought a drink each for the group I was with (eight of us) and a bottle of whisky which I offered to everyone else in the clubhouse which seemed reasonable to me, everyone was happy with it and it didn't cost the earth.

I don't drink so the only bit of that for me was a coke!

Anyone got tales of it happening somewhere really big and expensive? When we played The Belfry the bar was rammed and the drinks were eye wateringly expensive, don't think I'd fancy footing that bill.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve had two, both at away Clubs, one playing on my own, one with my Dad. Total outlay a tenner for 2 pints.

Love the bottle on the bar idea. Never heard of that. Don’t know if they do it at my Club.

I’ve been offered a drink a few times for holes in one. I congratulate and politely decline if I don’t know them.

Saw one once from the group behind us on a jam packed course, shotgun start (i.e. everyone in the bar at the same time afterwards) Captain’s Day. The fella was in his eighties and looked ashen rather than celebratory :-(

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I made a hole in one at an away course, not in a comp (so no insurance cover).

I bought a drink each for the group I was with (eight of us) and a bottle of whisky which I offered to everyone else in the clubhouse which seemed reasonable to me, everyone was happy with it and it didn't cost the earth.

I don't drink so the only bit of that for me was a coke!

Anyone got tales of it happening somewhere really big and expensive? When we played The Belfry the bar was rammed and the drinks were eye wateringly expensive, don't think I'd fancy footing that bill.
I think this is a sensible approach. I agree about the Belfry (or similar type of establishment), why would you buy a drink for everyone when probably half the people there probably aren't even golfers, likely they are hotel guests or the like just having a drink.
For me, at a private club where it's all genuine members I would buy drinks or at least put a bottle or two on the bar for everyone.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played in board comp yesterday, and was in second last group out. Chap in group behind had the perfect hole in one. Got it on our 17, 1 for 5 points. He finsihed with 38 points, and won competition on count back. Being in last group there were only about ten of us in the clubhouse, so a very cheap round of drinks. He won the hole in one kitty, which was probably £100 plus and even got a share of the two's sweep. Not sure how he qualified as he didn't have a two.:unsure:

dronfield

Visit site
Both my present and previous club adopt the same procedure that others have mentioned & put a bottle of scotch on the bar for members to help themselves to a drink - you then provide the club with a replacement bottle. They will probably use a blended, not single malt, so cost you £15ish to replace.
At my 1st golf club 25 years ago, they actually ran a HIO club where you paid circa £10 as an insurance to cover the cost of buying the club a bottle should one be required that year - at the end of the year all the HIO club members were given either a bottle of wine or whiskey (paid out of the HIO club kitty).

Rich