Hole in one poll

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

Have you had an ace?

• Total voters

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
See, I don't think it's a great tradition having to shell out and be out of pocket for actually achieving what we are trying to do every time and get it in the hole asap. I thought I read on here at some point in the distant past that places like Japan the PP's get the "holer" aa drink/gift. I may be wrong in that but definitely sits better with me

D

Deleted Member 1156

See, I don't think it's a great tradition having to shell out and be out of pocket for actually achieving what we are trying to do every time and get it in the hole asap. I thought I read on here at some point in the distant past that places like Japan the PP's get the "holer" aa drink/gift. I may be wrong in that but definitely sits better with me
No it's the opposite. In Japan they often buy gifts for the playing partners etc, get t shirts printed and so on. Playing golf in Japan is for the very wealthy.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have been playing golf for about 45 years, I have had 4 aces, each one probably cost me around £100, therefore less than £10 a year, a price I am very happy to have paid and with any luck I will gladly pay again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have been playing golf for about 45 years, I have had 4 aces, each one probably cost me around £100, therefore less than £10 a year, a price I am very happy to have paid and with any luck I will gladly pay again.
It doesn't make any sense to calculate it that way. That's like saying a new car will cost me 20 grand, but I've been driving for 40 years so that's only £500 a year! :LOL:

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense to calculate it that way. That's like saying a new car will cost me 20 grand, but I've been driving for 40 years so that's only £500 a year! :LOL:

I can't agree with your reasoning, my approach was how much have hole in ones cost me so far and divided that by years playing. You have taken one isolated cost and divided it into a period which is not applicable to that cost.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't agree with your reasoning, my approach was how much have hole in ones cost me so far and divided that by years playing. You have taken one isolated cost and divided it into a period which is not applicable to that cost.
So have you really, since number of years playing isn't necessarily a factor on whether you get a hole in one or not. Lots of people play their whole lives and get none, or you could get one on your first ever round. Choosing to buy a round for everyone having got one is still a one off cost, all you've done is try and justify it to yourself with pretend logic.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many people that would refuse to buy drinks if they get a HIO would still accept one from someone else :unsure:

Oh don’t worry, the same folk will reason that away by saying something like “well if some fool wants to splash the cash I’m not going to say no am I?”. Completely swerving the self examination.

You’ve been here long enough to know not to bring considered, logical arguments to the table. Have a word with yourself ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Oh don’t worry, the same folk will reason that away by saying something like “well if some fool wants to splash the cash I’m not going to say no am I?”. Completely swerving the self examination.

You’ve been here long enough to know not to bring considered, logical arguments to the table. Have a word with yourself ?
That made me chuckle :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 25172

As with most things in life - it depends on. If I was the guy who had the HIO during our club day, would I have put my card behind the bar knowing it would cost me £600? No, I wouldn't, as that's more than 25% of my monthly income after tax. Cheap skate perhaps. I'd buy 4-5 bottles of whiskey and put on the bar and tell people to help themselves.

If it was on a regular Saturday/Sunday with the usual 20-30 suspects sitting in the bar, then yes I would buy a round.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've turned the offer down. First time as it was scotch and I don't drink the stuff and second time was someone I didn't know (new member).

My first hole in one was at an away club, needless to say I was excited by the event and took pleasure in asking everybody in the bar if they would like a drink, some congratulated me and said yes or no, however a few were dismissive as I was not a member which somewhat took the edge off of the occasion.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never taken a drink off the bar, bottle and glasses left there, and yet to be in a bar when someone has walked in and offered to buy them. I am confident I would still say no though. I'd congratulate them, smile, shake their hand if allowed, but tell them the drink was not necessary. It is not exactly hard to say thanks but not required.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or maybe you could let people answer for themselves. ?

If it was the outdated option of a neat whisky, which would make me puke anyway, I'd do what I've done in the past and avoid it like the plague.

If it was someone who I knew, they were really excited and insistent, then depending on the driving situation and how much I'd already had, I'd take a drink if they genuinely wanted to buy one. It's a cliché, but if someone you know really wants to buy, it would be rude not too.

One thing I DEFINITELY wouldn't do, is go round trying to bully and embarrass some poor bloke into spending a ridiculous amount of money on other people just because his ball went into a hole.

Personal choice is exactly what it should be.

Who said anything about bullying?! And Drive4show didn’t ask “would you refuse a drink you can’t stand?” or “do you drink and drive?”. He just asked all things being equal how many would take a drink, but not offer one. It’s a simple question. I attempted to add some levity to proceedings and it worked for some, not for others. Hey ho, such is life/the forum.

Visit site
I have managed two, but quite a while ago now.
2009 on the 8th at Hollins Hall.
2010 on the 17th at Headingley.
Cost me two bottles of whisky on both occasions. Luckily neither were on Saturdays when the bar would have been very busy. I wouldn't like to be press ganged into buying everyone drinks, and I'm not insured for it, but these moments don't come along so often.....if ever, so what the hell!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a hole-in-one is something money can't buy, I may as well spend some of the money I can't spent on buying one on sharing my good luck with others. I spend plenty of money in other ways trying to buy a bit of golfing consistency and success, and so it would be no big deal for me spending money when my success that day was down to good luck and was free.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I've had a hole-in-one (topic of the thread)

The off topic discussion surrounding buying drinks I guess comes down to whether you have enough money to celebrate the fact.
I'm not sure if I had another hole-in-one that it really means that much to me, perhaps if it was among friends it would mean more. Doesn't mean I would feel like spending £200 on a bunch of strangers.... but if I was minted then it would be a no-brainer..... tell everyone and milk their praise as it would make me super human and mega propular for an hour or so.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was a proud ‘no’ until our 17th yesterday.

White tees 160 yards into a brisk and chilly wind. Pulled a 5-iron but wind got up so swapped it for my old Nike Viper 5 rescue.

Never looked anywhere else as soon as I struck it. Landed on the green, one bounce and in through the front door at a little pace.

Best part of 40 years trying. I was slightly numb after the shot but it was a dragon finally slain.

And if you’re gonna have one then make it a good one. This one was textbook.