Hitting them high

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit high off the tee and would like to be hitting it lower as I know I'm losing distance as a result. I'd rather not go to the expense of a new driver just now (though I will try some out) so what's a safe inexpensive fix?

Usually use white/blue tees and set up with the ball just inside the left heel. I can't hit the driver off low tees.

D

Deleted member 1147

Can you move weights around in your driver head?

Put the ball further back in your stance.

Are you sure you're losing distance by hitting drives high?
I find the higher it goes the longer it goes as I get more carry.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gil' if you saw how high some of them were this morning; I can bring snow down on a summer's day!

The only weights are for draw/fade bias.

I'd love to hit the shot that starts low then swoops up but if I try to force them low I end up with a daisy cutter.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are you getting a sky shot? or do you hit the ball solid on the sweetspot with an upword blow?

I find I get high shots when I really blast the ball - In effect I hit a semi sky shot but they still go 180 yards.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate hits his drives so high its unreal, so much back spin on the ball it climbs like a fighter jet.

One drive yesterday actually started coming backwards.

It could be the shaft. I know Taylor made clubs do get the ball high anyway. You may have the wrong kick point in your shaft for your swing.

Dont mess around with the ball in your stance. It should always be played off left heel. move it back and you will start putting them left. Use a white wooden tee and just tee the ball slightly lower. Do you have the equater of the ball in line with the top of the clubhead?

D

Deleted member 1147

Gil' if you saw how high some of them were this morning; I can bring snow down on a summer's day!

Could you get some impact tape (off the pro perhaps) to see where you're striking the ball? This could tell you part of the reason.

Otherwise, try a stiffer shaft.

D

Deleted member 1147

Dont mess around with the ball in your stance. It should always be played off left heel. move it back and you will start putting them left.

I was wondering if maybe it was too far forward, ie, ball of left foot?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont mess around with the ball in your stance. It should always be played off left heel. move it back and you will start putting them left.

I was wondering if maybe it was too far forward, ie, ball of left foot?

Nah not really, that seems fine, If it was too far forward I think you would hook it as the club has to travel further to the ball the hands have more time to turn over, closing the club face.

Regarding the 3 wood, many say it should be played the same as a driver, I dont think so, I too moved it back in the stance when I was hooking it and it was better. Didn't really take any height off it though!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to always get too much height and used to use what sounds like the same tees as you white with a blue stripe to show you how far to stick it into the ground, but the reason I had to hit it off this high platform is because I was in fact swinging too shallow and would have hit the ground before the ball and topped it if I teed it any lower, but I have steepened my plain a little bit and whilst the drives have become a little bit erratic again they now fly on a beautiful trajectory so once I get used to it and find some accuracy I will be fine. Perhaps try teeing it lower and swinging a little bit steeper.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks guys.
I think I swing on a fairly steep plane as it is, shallow usually promotes a hook.
I can just use masking tape on the face next time I'm at the range, hopefully that will give me some idea.
The high shots can take 50-60 yards off based on previous good ones on the same hole, and I've been told that even they were high. A Sunday drive I can get 240+ (knocked it onto the green on a 260 yd par 4 recently), and can average around 220 for a round <u>if</u> I can keep it down. Unfortunately the trend of late has been to the higher tee shot.
Full blooded swings I have to avoid, very high, big slice.

sounds like it may be a case of simply teeing lower, if so a good cost-effective fix (the white/yellows are cheaper too).

eagle, fortunately you'll get a chance to check it out soon.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
yep I look forward to it viscount ,you may want to get it fixed before hand though, high tee shots on some exposed holes can be disastrous! Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything. ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
An early wrist break will sky the ball, as you produce a swing like a flop shot. Try sweeping the club away along the ground.

The old style flat drive, which then climbs is ridiculously short now (all that back spin is useless), and no longer in use. Tee it high and hit it on the up swing is the way to hit modern drivers.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting to see you're using a TM driver. (I was too until today) The pro who did my fit today said that ALL TM drivers are designed with the weight low to get the ball high and the angle that the ball hits the deck on landing is steeper than most other makes and gives less roll out.