Hitting it fat

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How many different things can make me consistantly hit my irons fat?

The longer clubs aren't too bad, but the irons are definitely iffy.

I've been practising on a matted driving range rather than a grass one, so I suppose that's been letting me get away with it just enough.

I'm thinking that I'm keeping my weight too much on my right side, but sorting that involves complex thought processes and complicates the old 'swing back, pause, hit it' philosophy.

I can get plenty of advice given time, but for my next visit to the range, what are likely to be the reasons for most duffers to get into this state? Can it be something simple like hand position at setup? Or is it definitely a swingfault?

:(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
How many different things can make me consistantly hit my irons fat?

Loads

Can it be something simple like hand position at setup? Or is it definitely a swingfault?

Next time your at the range, try this.
At address, make sure your shaft is leaning a bit towards the target. Check the ball isn't too far back or forward in your stance and lastly make sure you dont sway too much onto your back foot on your backswing.

One of the biggest causes of the duff is the player moves the ball back in the stance to stop the duff, he then stays back on the back foot and duffs it again.
Try with the ball in the centre of your stance.
The next biggest cause is the player tries to scoop the ball into the air.
If you feel you are doing this, place a headcover about 8-12in behind the ball and try and hit the ball without hitting the headcover.
HTH

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A few reasons why you may be hitting fat....

Left arm not straight or extended enough at address or throughout backswing. Arm will fully extend on downswing.

You may not be maintaining your height through the swing, perhaps dipping or swaying.

Too steep angle of attack. Dont aim to hit at the ball, instead swing the club through it to a high finish.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I was hitting it really fat at the beginning of last season. It was driving me mad. Combination of wet fairways and bloody great divots was seeing a 7 iron flying about 80 yards if I was lucky.
Mate of mine suggested I had the ball a bit too far back in my stance, so I moved it a tad forward. He was right, and I started hitting the ball again.
Try it. It could be that simple Geezer
;)

w1ndw1ll

Club Champion
Visit site
Started having this problem through February, can't understand why. Then it dawned on me, Posture had gone to pot, back to basics stood up slightly straighter problem solved. It might be as simple as that!