Hitting down to compress!

Morecambe hacker

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all

I'm wanting to learn in the colder months ready for next year to be able to hit more down on the ball to fully compress also to transfer more weight onto the left side to get the most from my iron play and hopefully start to make a divot as I tend to stay to central and scoop 9/10! Direction wise I'm happy either straight or a slight draw so my question is if I learn to transfer my weight more will the correct compression of ball and divot follow? I understand that when you transfer weight properly the club will shallow out after the ball so am I right to believe weight transfer correctly and the divot/full compression of ball will follow? Obviously with correct ball placement???

Many thanks for advice in advance

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be mindful of two things: swaying and getting stuck on the downswing! I have a best friend trying to do this now and it has affected his ball striking (in a bad way) for a good few months now. It will improve, but be warned it may take time....

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bobby Clampett wrote a book called the Impact Zone (if I remember rightly)

my old pro had me working on this, its easier to work on taking a divot 1st, get some spray or scrape a line in the grass then practice taking a divot after the line, 2-4 inches is about right I believe, maybe do 2 or 3 then line a ball up and do the same. I didnt stick to it and scoop the ball still but its a drill I am going back to over the Winter.

Also, before James (JustOne) gets here, stack and tilt also promotes this (something I am going to incorporate as get my weight stuck on the back foot)

I might have to book James for a morning lol.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One way to achieve this is to increase the angle of attack. That will have the affect of moving the bottom of the arc further forward helping you to take the divot after the ball.
I'd suggest you try the following drill with your wedges to start with and then moving up to your 9,8 and 7 as you progress.
Set up 2 balls as in the video below and hit your target ball without hitting the back ball.

[video=youtube;bJ2oBmW37eY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ2oBmW37eY&feature=BFa&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqY BJ3OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

That will help you get the feel of moving your weight onto your front foot without getting too bogged down with the technicalities of what you are trying to do.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The tour striker club seems to be popular to promote that kind of a strike- never tried it myself

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I dont take much of a divot with my shots really. Is this something that could hold me back in the future? Ive never really thought it was a problem.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bobmac I have a feeling that was one of the drills the pro gave me when we started working on my ball striking... didnt work for me cos I am a lazy git and didnt put the practice in.

thanks for the vid, will use that myself :thup:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as a fellow scooper with a poor ball flight, this is exactly what i was working on in my lesson last week. as a drill the pro suggested:

Placing 2 tee pegs in a line about 8 inches apart,

image a line between these tee pegs would be where the ball is sitting.

hitting down steeply should mean that the balls is hit on the down stroke, with the club contacting the floor about 3-4 inches infront as suggested by gibbo, but i have gone to the real extreme of 5/6 inches.

Ive been working on the 5-6 inch extreme as a way of ingraining the downward positive impact position, but out on the course it ends up more like 3-4 inches.

it also turned out that as a rule i was letting my hips get aheads of the houlders at impact, as a drill he had me address the ball, move the shoulders towards the target until the training foot started to lift, square the clubface to the target line and hit 1/2 punch shots from this position. it amazed me that a 1/2 punch 7i from this position would go as far as a pured 7i from the weaker original position. yes its a work in progress but distances are already well up and striking is alot more consistent. the only thing i have to watch is still letting the hips get in front from this position... it gets bloody interesting from there :thup:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
G1BB0; Clampetts book was 'Hit Down Dammit'

OP; Bob's two ball drill is a good one. I also like a two ball drill where you place a ball around four inches infront of the addressed ball and make sure you hit both balls. This encourages you to hit down and forward which will improve ball compression. When practising on grass you can place a short tee pushed down in the grass infront of the ball and try to hit the tee out.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not wanting to complicate thing but ive found this also helps. i find with my own habbit of scooping, comes from letting my hips get ahead meaning compression is near on impossible, if you look at the finish of this video, hes shoulders are over the top of the hips, this is something im working on ATM, when its right, the power gain is massive,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySwyKwsWL0k

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
the power loss is very true, I have lost a club at least since I went back to scooping.

lesson booked for end of the month, must sort out this iffy swing and sha...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Transfer of weight and good ball-striking - the ball gets compressed however you hit it, so I avoid that expression, though it can be a useful thought - are two independent activities in my book.

Indeed, the advocates of Stack and Tilt would (pretty convincingly imo) argue that better ball-striking happens if you don't transfer weight (much anyway)! It certainly promotes a downward strike/steeper (angle of) attack.

However, if you are a weight-shift swinger, as most of us are, then it's the timing of the weight shift and of the strike that are the key to good ball-striking imo. Even those of us prone to swaying can get success by getting everything in sync timing-wise.

Check out Pete Cowen's 'Spiral Staircase' swing method for how to do things more powerfully and better - with 'coil' rather than 'weight transfer'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Without getting into any intricacies of the swing (or even remotely referring to Stack & Tilt) if you look at the video below (which Oddsocks posted) the guy doesn't transfer any weight onto his right leg, he can't, his feet are together. The backswing is a COIL. All the action comes from the downswing and getting into the left side... preferably with the hands leading (some forward shaft lean) as per the other video Oddsocks posted with the impact bag.... this is the BASICS of a golf swing and everyone should start from here.

[video=youtube;WheTnQixPXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WheTnQixPXY[/video]

Some good vids posted in this thread, covering the ball is also a good one as it makes you understand what is happening when you fall backwards off the ball or try to scoop it.. same for the impact bag drill :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
this is the BASICS of a golf swing and everyone should start from here.

At impact my 5 iron shaft is virtually straight up and down and I managed to get a respectable handicap
Having the shaft leaning forward at impact is not essential to play good golf
Those of you who teach yourself should be very careful when trying to increase the shaft angle as it often results in the swing becoming more out to in causing the slice/pull/duff

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At impact my 5 iron shaft is virtually straight up and down and I managed to get a respectable handicap
Having the shaft leaning forward at impact is not essential to play good golf
Those of you who teach yourself should be very careful when trying to increase the shaft angle as it often results in the swing becoming more out to in causing the slice/pull/duff

It's funny you say that, I notice the ones I effectively get right all have left pointing divots

socky

Head Pro
Visit site
The tour striker club seems to be popular to promote that kind of a strike- never tried it myself

These are really good, very disconcerting watching your ball scuttle along the ground. Great feeling when you manage to start hitting the ball properly.

For me the thought that gets me hitting down, is feel like im leading the club with the back of my left hand in to impact. Might not help you but it helps me.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
It's funny you say that, I notice the ones I effectively get right all have left pointing divots

Your divots are MEANT TO point a little left, you've already hit the ball and the club impacts the ground afterwards when it's returning to the inside :thup: If your divots are pointing to the right then typically you are singing out too much. Straight/a little left would be considered roughly ideal.