Hitting down to compress!

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
At impact my 5 iron shaft is virtually straight up and down and I managed to get a respectable handicap

Well done you! :clap:

Having the shaft leaning forward at impact is not essential to play good golf

Having the shaft leaning forwards even 1 degree is preferable to having it leaning backwards. I 'heard' that 7 degrees forward shaft lean is optimal... I'll pretend that it wasn't Robert Rock who I wasn't discussing that with :whistle:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some of the golf videos on the web explain that we need a forward leaning shaft at impact and demonstrate an impact position with the shaft leaning at something like 20/30 degrees. This is not correct and gives gofers the wrong impression of what they should be doing.

The shaft has a natural forward lean built into it's design when the sole is grounded and the angle gets less as the club gets longer. If you allow your hands to get too far ahead it has the effect of opening the clubface (try it) and also makes it more likely that you will hit fat and thin shots.

Here is a typical one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0s6zjfszww&feature=related

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get some spray or scrape a line in the grass then practice taking a divot after the line.

Stack and Tilt also promotes this.

Watch this, I'm sure it will help,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im5UAZHeoDc

It is a video of Mike Bennett who co-wrote this book with Andy Plummer.

books

The Stack and Tilt Swing: The Definitive Guide to the Swing That Is Remaking Golf.

I hope you find this as helpful as I did.

Slime.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Tommy Gainey at impact.... [click picture to enlarge]

gainey.jpg

Apparently he just won a few quid :whistle: ...... and had a putt for a 59!!!!

(note the angle between his right forearm and the clubshaft)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tommy Gainey at impact.... [click picture to enlarge]

View attachment 3206

Apparently he just won a few quid :whistle: ...... and had a putt for a 59!!!!

(note the angle between his right forearm and the clubshaft)

His club shaft is not leaning that far forward, it's more the way his spine tilts back that makes it look that way. You did suggest that 7 deg was optimal a few posts ago James.

I still suggest that the forward lean designed with each club is the way it's meant to be used.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You did suggest that 7 deg was optimal a few posts ago James.

And I stand by that :D

I lined up Gainey at address and impact with the tee marker... see how much his knee gets close to it, and his hands at impact...[click picture to enlarge].... they both move a pretty impressive distance.

gain2.jpg

As bizarre as his swing looks he's still following all the basic principles of a decent golf swing. His hands are forward, the club is descending (with amazing lag), his head remains back and his spine angle (away from the target) is a result of the hips moving laterally towards the target. He also has amazing extension through the ball to the finish.