Hitting at the green when there are people on it

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didn't see it but surely it would only just trickle to the green and hence distract rather than endanger?

Back in the day I remember driving 2 (short, not forum length) par 4's in the same round, just a few holes apart.
The first one I thought I'd maybe sneak within 10 yards of the front edge but the 2nd I never even thought was in range, but somehow it shot through the back

Mixed emotions walking to that green, sort of an apologetic strut

Would never endanger anyone knowingly

D

Deleted Member 1156

There is no excuse for this, anyone should wait, end of! Especially pros because as has been pointed out, the sound of a ball pitching just short of the green can be off putting and may lead to a duffed shot or missed putt. That could equal thousands of pounds for a pro at the business end of a tournament.

If in doubt, wait!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One for the older football followers amongst you. Duffed tee shot followed by an absolutely nailed 3 wood. Straight between Cyril Knowles' legs whilst he was putting out. Went up to the next tee to apologise, and recognised it was Cyril. "Well lad, its been a while since I've been nut-megged. Good hit." He could of roasted me for it but he was brilliant.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
One for the older football followers amongst you. Duffed tee shot followed by an absolutely nailed 3 wood. Straight between Cyril Knowles' legs whilst he was putting out. Went up to the next tee to apologise, and recognised it was Cyril. "Well lad, its been a while since I've been nut-megged. Good hit." He could of roasted me for it but he was brilliant.

Nice one Cyril 🤣

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing at Crewe on Monday on a par 4 285 yards, had just watched oppos putt from behind the hole and was walking back to my ball when ball off the tee thuded into the green just missing me by a foot :angry: No shout of fore !!. Chap came up to us on the next tee and his team mates gave him a right rollicking as I had gone on to birdie the hole to win it .

He was bang out of order, he was a long hitter and should have known better. They had apparently discussed it on the tee if he should go or not . If in doubt wait.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Few at Wimbledon Common that are driveable (5, 9, 13, and 15) and I'd normally tee off once the group were on the green. While it was reachable, the ball was never running at speed and so I thought at that time it was an acceptable risk

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Much better IMO if short par 4's are played as 'call up' holes, keeps everyone moving and reduces the risk of getting hit or distracted when on the green