Hitting at the green when there are people on it

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always thought this was pretty poor form and you're justified in having a stern word with anyone who does this while you're on the green.

Rory, however, seems to think it is acceptable: '"I was trying to get it to the front of the green and I was in two minds whether to hit it at that point or not because the guys in front were still on the green. I thought I'll just say sorry if it gets close to them." http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/41431036

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
would depend.

if it was a definite hit the green from say 150 yards or the like, that's not acceptable, but occasionally you hit a shot of your life when your playing partners say go you will never reach in a month of sundays . you apologise end of.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing a long(ish) par 3 last weekend I heard the group behind tee off while we were putting. Ok they didn't reach and clearly knew they wouldn't but I still found it rather disconcerting!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
He was talking about the risk of his ball disturbing them when landing short of the green, not the risk of it hitting them.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think there is a difference between hitting a club you are expecting to hit the green with and hitting a club which you may (with the best shot ever) hit the green with.

I would normally wait no matter what as I obviously dont want to hit someone. But there is the odd time you catch it a bit too well and it rolls onto the green. Quick apology and its all OK. But if I am say 240 yards away and I hit my 3 wood about 210-220 on average I would probably go for it, chances of me getting that extra 20-30 yards with a brilliant hit are very very slim, most likely ill be topping it 50 yards.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He was talking about the risk of his ball disturbing them when landing short of the green, not the risk of it hitting them.

Exactly, Duncan. He was talking about it landing and running up to the front of the green, or onto the front edge if he hit a freakishly big one. He wasn't endangering anyone on the green (just those in the rough, as it turned out).

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I do hate it when you hear a ball thud into the ground 30'ish yards short of the green, even if they would never reach, it does seem unnecessary and sometime an obvious hurry up signal

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do hate it when you hear a ball thud into the ground 30'ish yards short of the green, even if they would never reach, it does seem unnecessary and sometime an obvious hurry up signal

But rarely meant as one. Usually it’s just people playing up to save waiting for a whole group to putt out.

Played up many times when I was aiming lay up short while others putt out. No doubt they heard it but never been complain to.

I do always worry I might disturb them though.

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They've probably spent the round watching you faff about with aimpoint and decided a shot across the bows is warranted :rofl:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yup not happy when I hear one drop within earshot when on the green. What I do find odd is usually when that happens the next three players normally end up miles behind the big hitter so why don't they tee off before.
if we are playing behind others, it is usually me that tees off first as I am the shortest hitter.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm no Rory (though I've got the same accent) so deduct about 200 yards, but in similar circumstances I will wait, saying to my playing partner "I can't reach them from here but I CAN irritate them"