Higher numbered Woods

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a relatively new golfer (been playing for 3 and a bit years now), everyone I have spoken to has told me to focus on my iron striking as Woods are so hard to hit well, especially off the deck. Maybe look into hybrids if I need a bit more distance. In fact, rummaging through pro shops, I very rarely even see a Wood other than a 3-Wood.

Those that play with 4, 5, 6+ Woods...can I please ask why you do so? I would be interested to know how did you get into owning and playing with these higher numbered woods?

I am wondering if I will wake up one day and decide that I need a 7 wood :S.

D

Deleted member 21258

I play a 7 wood and 9 wood(also have an 11 wood, doesn't every shanker need one of those in their life:LOL:), reason is that I find a 7 + 9 wood a lot easier and consistent to hit than 6,5,4 and 3 iron.

It also has a higher flight for me and lands softer.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Higher numbered woods are not as common as they used to be, I think hybrids have possibly killed them off a bit as they are designed to do the same job. Still very good tools if you can find them.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
As a relatively new golfer (been playing for 3 and a bit years now), everyone I have spoken to has told me to focus on my iron striking as Woods are so hard to hit well, especially off the deck. Maybe look into hybrids if I need a bit more distance. In fact, rummaging through pro shops, I very rarely even see a Wood other than a 3-Wood.

Those that play with 4, 5, 6+ Woods...can I please ask why you do so? I would be interested to know how did you get into owning and playing with these higher numbered woods?

The theory is that a wood will give you higher launch. So for someone with a slower swing speed, they might get better launch and ultimately better distance with a wood or hybrid. With an iron, they might not get the ball high enough to get decent distance.

That's why you never see Rory McIlroy hitting a hybrid, because the speed he'd generate would launch it into orbit.

Generally, for an amateur you might find that a well hit 4 iron might go a similar distance as a well hit 5 iron - and at that point, it would make sense to switch the 4 iron for a club with more launch - such as a hybrid or fairway wood.

With regards to a wood being harder to hit... I don't think that's necessarily the case. If you take a 5 wood at 16 degrees and try and hit that or a 16 degree 2 iron... I think you'll find the iron is much harder to hit consistently well, from the tee or fairway.

Personally I have a 3 wood and a 19 degree hybrid. I only hit the 3 wood off the tee and generally use the hybrid from the fairway, or decent lies in light rough.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My dad plays a 9 wood and absolutely swears by it. He plays it everywhere, even out of really rough lies, where I'd never dare to use a wood. My highest lofted wood is a 7 wood, but I don't use it that much. The distance is comparable with my 22° hybrid, and I find that more versatile and slightly easier to control (the shaft is shorter than that of the 7 wood). Actually, I mostly use the 7 wood off the tee when I need a bit more distance than I can squeeze out of my 5 iron. Off the tee, the 7 wood goes noticably higher than the hybrid and is therefore a bit easier to stop on a green.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a 7 wood in the bag frequently but now find that the hybrids I put in the bag, to replace the long irons, do the same job.

My 7 wood was mainly in the bag for shots out of deep rough that needed long distance.

The number 4 will have disappeared simply because most manufacturers will call it a 3HL (High Loft). It still should be easy to find 5 woods.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site

5 wood in my bag. Used to have a 3 but that's been out for about 5 months now. Can hit the 5 off the deck a lot more consistently so used on long par 4's and par 5's as a second, or off the tee on a short/tight par 4.

Only cost £20 which helps.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
High lofted woods and hybrids are absolutely fantastic.

They changed my game in that 150 -210 yard range where I believe so many handicap golfers throw away shots due not not having at least one if not two of these clubs in their bag.

Many people have the same bag set up as a top PGA tour player while also not having half the speed or skill the strike these clubs.

If you look at the set up of many LPGA players they embrace the high lofted woods. They swing about the same speed as an male amateur golfer and get the most out of their swings. Most will have a hybrid in the bag. Many will have high lofted woods in there too.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
While I have always struggled with long irons, I didn't find hybrids that easy to hit straight away either. It took me a bit of chopping and changing, and obviously plenty of practise, but now I've finally got a couple I can hit, and I can finally say I hit them better than I do long irons. But hitting woods off the deck is another kettle of fish again, I think. That's something I still haven't got to grips with, I've been trying to practise my 4 wood off the deck lately so I can hopefully add that to my game, but for every nice one there's a horror slice or a duff at the minute. But even having said that, that's probably already a higher success rate than I would have trying to hit a 2 iron off the deck.

Ultimately it's just nice that you have pretty much three options to try for that 160-200+ yard range. Whether it's irons, hybrids or high numbered woods you can simply try them all and see what works the best for you.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My dad plays a 9 wood and absolutely swears by it. He plays it everywhere, even out of really rough lies, where I'd never dare to use a wood. .......
Me too.
I sold my Ping hybrids on here a couple of years as I personally find the woods easier.
I've got a TM 3HL (16.5) Ping 7 and Callaway 9 in the bag. Got a Ping 5 but am leaving that out of the bag as the loft, at 18, is close to the TM 3HL
The 9 is my go to from the rough unless it's really buried deep. I've also had good results using it from fairway bunkers when I've got a good lie and a long way to the green.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a 3 and 5 wood, 3 wood is used mostly off the tee as I find it hard to consistently hit off the fairway so for someone new to the game I would not recommend for the moment, but the 5 wood is a great club for me, with the loft on a 5 wood and with a bit practice it could be a good option for you, also I find for me is easier to use than any hybrid.

D

Deleted member 1147

A 7 handicap friend of mine used a 9 wood to great effect against us st Ganton this week.
We stopped mocking him for using it after he beat us 🤭

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lots of guys (and not just those of us getting on in ages as per the pre-conception of some) at my club are carrying a 7 wood and even higher and I play regularly with a guy who has a 7 wood and is deadly with it. If you can find one that works its a great asset

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This brings back fond memories of flopping my old Dunlop 7 wood over tall trees. If you want to improve, accept your kit, get lessons and practice. Beyond that, get fitted when you can afford it. Properly fitted by a recommended pro, not just a well known store fitted.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just carry a driver and a 5 wood.
Grip down a bit on the 5 wood and it gives me more control, to a point where I'm fairly accurate with it - always with a little baby fade.

Having said that, I have a hybrid in another set I occasionally use in the UK, and although it's a little 'clunky' it goes well enough.