High Left Shoulder

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Could it be the fact your ball position is so far forward?

Had another look and it seems that to get your club shaft straight at address your right arm has to reach across and therefore your right shoulder has to drop to allow that which then causes your right shoulder to raise a bit.

If 1 goes down an inch and one goes up an inch they both look bad.

Also what's with the head action? It's like your ducking for apples at Halloween.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Could it be the fact your ball position is so far forward?

Might be the angle but it was opposite my left breast which is how I use to play all shots as a junior and its i something I'm trying again. Ball striking is awesome but suffering from a few hooks and pulls. The good ones are the best I've hit in years and really compressing it well

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Having problems at address with my left shoulder. It is too high which I feel is being caused by a strong grip. Been trying hard to find a way to keep it down at address. Any tips or ideas

Homer. In all seriousness, I think your left shoulder is way down the list! :mmm:

Some good bits though!:)

If that swing is typical, I don't believe you are being well served by changing to a 1-plane swing! :rolleyes: Everything about it shouts 2-plane!

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with Phil, your ball position is forward. If you want to play it a few inches inside the left heel you need to narrow your stance to get more centered. What club were you using?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Having problems at address with my left shoulder. It is too high which I feel is being caused by a strong grip. Been trying hard to find a way to keep it down at address. Any tips or ideas

http://youtu.be/zJIoZQqPQB0

Hi Homer,

I've drawn a line from the middle of your chest (the diamond on your jersey) to your belt buckle to represent your center line... [click pic to enlarge...]

This is something I'd discuss with your pro (seeing as you are working closely with one) unless you want to do it via the forum?

homer1.jpg

DCB

Visit site
Homer,

You're obviously working closely with a Pro on your game at the moment. There are things I can see in your swing that your Pro can obviously see as well. There's a lot of moving parts and overall movement in there. Best bet would be to discuss with your Pro next time rather than try to take on board the general wisdom of the forum ;)

A

Alex1975

What is your grip pressure like? If you are gripping to tight it maybe making your arms and shoulders tense and making your shoulders spiky and obvious to the eye. Just a thought.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Homer,

You're obviously working closely with a Pro on your game at the moment. There are things I can see in your swing that your Pro can obviously see as well. There's a lot of moving parts and overall movement in there. Best bet would be to discuss with your Pro next time rather than try to take on board the general wisdom of the forum ;)

There's an echo in the forum :D

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
There's an echo in the forum :D

:rofl:

I'll agree with those who say the ball is too far forward. That's (....Roughly) where I play my fairway woods from.

It might just be me, but cosidering that's a 7 iron, there doesn't seem a great deal of shaft lean at address? The shaft is almost vertical.

I'm probaby talking garbage though :mad:

DCB

Visit site
Without wishing to be unkind to Homer, watch the video again and look at the relative position of the ball when he is actually swinging. The left leg collapse and the hip sway (to his left) are in effect putting the ball back in his stance at the point of impact are they not ?

That's why I said he'd be better talking to his Pro as the Pro has to have noticed this during sessions together.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hi-jack the thread with a question of my own, but I really want to start learning about swing analysis.

Would I be wrong to suggest that;

a) Your hands / arms start the takeaway?
b) You have an early wrist break?

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Without wishing to be unkind to Homer, watch the video again and look at the relative position of the ball when he is actually swinging. The left leg collapse and the hip sway (to his left) are in effect putting the ball back in his stance at the point of impact are they not ?

That's why I said he'd be better talking to his Pro as the Pro has to have noticed this during sessions together.

I would agree David. Even on this small screen(phone) I saw many other problems. But assumed he knows of those issues already.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sorry to hi-jack the thread with a question of my own, but I really want to start learning about swing analysis.

Those would be things that generally occur when the right shoulder is too low and the hands are in the wrong position, whether or not Homer does those things is a case of looking at the video, you don't necessarily do something wrong just because common knowledge says it might occur... however it normally involves something else compensating... eg taking the club away in a straight line and/or not turning the shoulders properly.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Nothing wrong with starting the swing with the hands/arm, some top coaches teach this and is essence one of the characteristics of an arm swinger. Body swingers would typically start hands, arms, shoulders all together (1 piece takeaway). They're not right or wrong just different styles thats all.

Generally speaking, breaking wrists earlier than what occurs naturally is definitely a fault IMO.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have been sitting on my hands with this one Homer on whether to say what I honestly think. I am not sure if you want to hear it but here goes anyhow. I hope you see this as constructive.

Are you happy with tour current Pro? If he has been working with you on a one plane swing for a year he seems to be failing, your swing planes are very far apart and not looking as they should. This is especially true in the forward swing, your arms get very high and detached from your torso, they should be more connected and turning near your shoulder plane. Your swing should be more compact and centered with body rotation generating the power.

Take a look at the attached One Plane swing of Jeff Ritter, it's the kind of action you should be aiming for:

http://youtu.be/ZsEvZI-1mng