High handicapper needing advice

Cainy5d

Visit site
Hi all,

I don't currently have a handicap, but let's just say it's high.

I have been brought a round of golf at Celtic Manor twenty ten course for my birthday.

Has anyone played this course that could pass on some advice, as I will be playing with a pair that I don't know to make a four ball. Could be really low handicap) I don't know and don't wish to embarrass myself.

Thanks in advance.

BristolMike

Head Pro
Visit site
It's a tough course but it's really fun. The best advice I'd say is to enjoy the whole experience. Get there early and take it all in. As for the golf, don't worry, everyone is new to the game at some point

Cainy5d

Visit site
Thanks for all the replys has put me at ease to hear that thank you. I'm sure I will can't wait to play on a course of this quality. :)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
1st time I played with a low handicapper I remember feeling slightly nervous.
The nerves had gone after a couple of holes.
Like you they're playing the game for fun & playing the course,not you.

Remember that you get plenty of shots on them for a reason.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most playing partners are more bothered by what kind of person you are not what kind of golfer you are. Enjoy.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I actually enjoy playing with low handicappers. There is absolutely no pressure on me, because if anyone is expected to play well, it is them, not me. And most of the time they are very encouraging towards beginners or high handicappers. Try not to put pressure on yourself to have to hit it as far as they do. Just keep your ball in play and play your own game. Your additional shots will probably just take care of the rest ... that's what they are there for, after all.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Swing slowly, don't try too hard, just try to relax and enjoy the course.

If you keep up with play, watch your etiquette and pick up if you look like taking more than 10 at a hole you will fit in.

Good luck

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Try to not get down if you don't play great - when playing a new course the holes seem to whizz by and if you are deep in 'beating yourself up' thoughts you won't actually be noticing and appreciating the hole you are playing. And before you realise it you are putting out on 18 and it's over. And try as you might you struggle to replay the round in your head.

So what I suggest is you play your shots but in between really look around as you walk and take in the surroundings - look at how the holes are designed and laid out; imagine playing off the championship tees - and enjoy the views and the company. In fact almost focus more on the walk and the experience as much as on playing golf. I'm not saying just whack it round willy-nilly - but take in the experience and don't let your golf overwhelm you - especially if it's not going great. I took this approach when out in Dubai recently and played The Emirates Faldo course. Though not so easy when you are in a buggy (why I don't like using buggies). I have to say though that I especially remember my two birdies :)

Last edited: