high h/c golfers and top gear

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
with ref to the "snobs" no matter how much we would like to think snobbery had gone from the game i'm sorry to say it is alive and kicking from the cat1 who will not play with cat3 players or the private members club player who looks down on someone who plays at a muni,to the loud mouth who tells everyone he meets that he is a member of the golf club thinking this gives a better status than them or the 20 h/c who looks down on the juniors in front for slowing him down or the struts his stuff peacock who has everything the glossy golf mag advertise and looks down on everyone else for daring to turn up for a game in dunlop clothes,all of us like it or not fall into one or more of these groups snobbery gone from the game not yet and it probably never will.

Really?......you must play with some strange people!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think alot of people should mind their own business and let fellow golfers buy whatever the banana they want.
What harm is it doing you? Well seen you have nothing better to complain about!!!!!

People comment on a 'FORUM' because that's what forums are for. If someone asks a question then what's wrong with people giving an answer and stating their own opinion on the subject.

I guess you could take your own advice! "What harm is it doing you? Well seen you have nothing better to complain about!!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't have a "problem" with higher handicappers using decent clobber. If they want it, and can afford it, fair play to them.
What always amazes me though is how "higher" handicappers, (and I count myself in there off 13), claim they can tell the difference between a Wilson DX3 ball and a Srixon AD333 or Titleist NXT Tour.
OK they "prefer" one ball from another, I "prefer" Wilson DX3's to Nike PD Soft's because I find Nike PD Softs scuff up a bit more in comparison. That difference is tangible.
But can I honestly tell which brand I am playing by the amount of spin, or distance I get with them???? Nope.
Sure, I can tell a DDH500 or Molitor by the noise it makes off a putter or driver compared to a "softer" ball but I wouldn't have a hope in hell of telling you which mid range ball I was playing if the manufacturers name was stamped out.
And when I see a novice player asking which is the best ball for him under the assumption that it will make a difference??? Eeeeek! I'd always say "the cheapest ball possible", because you ain't half going to lose a lot!

whackywoman

Club Champion
Visit site
nothing wrong with been keen, everyone is guilty at some time or another of been over keen and spending on the latest must have be a gadget for the car, home golf or anything thinking it will make life better or easier - after all it is their money and it does keep folks in jobs.

Saying that I was given my golf clubs by an ex and only now beginning to splash the cash as I get to grips with them and finding what suits and does not suit me but being a tight old biddy I do shop around and am able to resist the urge when I see the prices on some items............saying that I did notice the white ones yesterday and had to force myself not to look closer or at the price as they did look very impressive ..........lol

With regard to balls well what can one say if you like the feel of it when playing the go for it the price or label does not matter and some do not notice a difference but some do - what matters is are you happy with your choice beit kit or ball - can you afford it and fingers cross it improves things for you at some level be it the game or state of mind,

Last edited:

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What always amazes me though is how "higher" handicappers, (and I count myself in there off 13), claim they can tell the difference between a Wilson DX3 ball and a Srixon AD333 or Titleist NXT Tour.
OK they "prefer" one ball from another, I "prefer" Wilson DX3's to Nike PD Soft's because I find Nike PD Softs scuff up a bit more in comparison. That difference is tangible.
I only know I cant hit a ProV1 off the tee - but i can feel a difference round the green with it. its not a ball I would choose.

I really dont care what ball I use - however I tend to go for something in the 'cheaper' range such as a pinnacle, nike or a precept. But if I get a dozen balls for a prezzie then i will happily play with them - no matter what make. Until I learn how to put spin on a ball then I wont be wasting my cash on a premium brand ;)

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really?......you must play with some strange people!
so what you are saying in all the years you have been playing golf you have not said or played with anyone who has criticized any one else? have you never been behind a 4 ball and not muttered why are they taking so long, or seeing someone with all the latest gear or flash clothes not said or heard said some derogatory remark?we all have in our time and i'm no exception, that was the original post was about snobbery and i don't care who anybody is we are all guilty of it in one way or another.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TBH I have never looked down my nose at a "peacock" golfer or one with the latest clubs. More often than not I would ask them what their opinions were of the club, shoe, jacket etc.

Recently asked a guy in front of me how he liked the new adidas 360 ATV shoes he was wearing as I am Tour 360 fan.

Nothing wrong with his or his partners etiquette as they let me play through, despite the fact they had their adidas & FJ shoes and Galvin Green gear on.

Similarly never looked down my nose if they are wearing golf gear from Aldi (decent golf socks BTW).

As I've said on other posts too many people hung up on what others wear, have in their bag or what ball they hit.

Be content with what you have or change it and leave others alone!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Papyt
I have found that to be the case on many occasions especially if you combine flash golfer and high handicap.
[Says he who 40 years ago wore pink shirt crimson sweater powder blue troosers and white shoes in a 36 holer. Played out of a water hazzard on the 2nd hole and played the other 34 holes looking like a Dalmation dog.]

I realise that it is a very big generalisation though.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Papyt, i think your original post had some merit but the way you have slated high handicappers and club players seems to me you need to find a new club to play if this is your beliefs.

Golf for most of us is a hobby and nothing more, if we enjoy spending money on new gear why not ? to some thats part of the fun of the hobby trying new gear etc etc

Others will not care what they play or even understand shafts, ball types, wedges, putter types etc yet they will have some beat up old clubs and still be a low handicapper, maybe they spend their money on other things perhaps ?

I am happy as a high hcp and often play and sometimes win against low to mid hcp players, at our club we all enjoy playing the game regardless of cat 1 etc and hcp snobbery doesnt exist

You also must remember that many high hcp players with expensive gear may be high hcp because they have limited time to play and get the hcp down, doesnt make them any less a golfer to which your posts seem to indicate.

I have great respect for anybody who plays golf regardless of hcp as we all know how tough a game it is, and thumbs up to all who love to shop

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is not just golf that suffers from this.
Take for example the guy who spends £250k on a pair of Purdeys and couldn't hit a barn door at 20 paces. Or the person who spends the monthly mortgage money on fishing tackle and can't catch a cold.

Those who know just smile and quietly shake their heads.

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Popyt, i think your original post had some merit but the way you have slated high handicappers and club players seems to me you need to find a new club to play if this is your beliefs.

Golf for most of us is a hobby and nothing more, if we enjoy spending money on new gear why not ? to some that's part of the fun of the hobby trying new gear etc etc

Others will not care what they play or even understand shafts, ball types, wedges, putter types etc yet they will have some beat up old clubs and still be a low handicapper, maybe they spend their money on other things perhaps ?

I am happy as a high hcg and often play and sometimes win against low to mid hcp players, at our club we all enjoy playing the game regardless of cat 1 etc and hcp snobbery doesn't exist

You also must remember that many high hcp players with expensive gear may be high hcp because they have limited time to play and get the hcp down, doesn't make them any less a golfer to which your posts seem to indicate.

I have great respect for anybody who plays golf regardless of hcp as we all know how tough a game it is, and thumbs up to all who love to shop
my post was not to call high h/c golfers or club golfers it was to see if snobbery existed regarding equipment.If you read the post regarding clothes it stemmed from that and how i was ridiculed for spending £150+ on clothes but the same is never said when a 24+ h/c player buys a driver that he cant use and is bought for vanity.I was just replying to other comments posted to me and that is my right,if it offends you i am sorry but i have been playing golf for over 35 years and this is my feeling on the subject.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well - I just couldnt resist a new toy today
popped into that direct golf place - and while the old man was trying on mental tartan trousers I started playing with the putters

the Scotty Cameron wasnt doing it for me (just as well cos when i looked at the price tag I nearly fainted - seriously £250 for a stick??!!)

However, the Taylormade Raylor Ghost was doing it for me...am in love...;)

Now - its not top end - but it was still just a touch over £100 BUT i got a bonus last pay day and its been burning a hole in my pocket. Its my treat to myself and i'm gonna enjoy it!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
my post was not to call high h/c golfers or club golfers it was to see if snobbery existed regarding equipment.If you read the post regarding clothes it stemmed from that and how i was ridiculed for spending £150+ on clothes but the same is never said when a 24+ h/c player buys a driver that he cant use and is bought for vanity.I was just replying to other comments posted to me and that is my right,if it offends you i am sorry but i have been playing golf for over 35 years and this is my feeling on the subject.

Hi again Papyt, i wasnt offended and commend you in spending your money how you wish and i think we all should feel the same.

It does seem in this country many people are very jealous of success and do not like to see others spending money or achieving good things and the rewards it brings

As posted earlier it is a great hobby and some spend very little money and time invested others dedicate their lives to the game and their hard earned cash, i am not sure why people would ridicule you for spending £150 on golf clothes they are either jealous, broke, or muppets so i would say good for you for doing what you feel is right.

Keep it on the fairway buddy

beggsy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it's the same as me buying £150 football boots shouldn't I wear them as I'm not a pro or should I instead wear a £30 pair

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, sure got people talking
My view , for what its worth
If u have the Money, buy what u want, not hurting anybody

Ive only EVER said anything if a friend was looking to buy something, or was using something, that clearly wouldnt, or wasnt, of benefit to them............ie , wrong shafts, etc......
Anybody outside my group of friends, use whatever u want

As for clothes.......wear what u want, as long as within the Club Dress Code
But I do confess to the odd chuckle :D ( to Myself ) when I see middle age guys ( I am 43 BTW ) wearing pink trousers, white trousers even, ( ill fitting I mean aswell ) when they are the shape of Darren Clarke, or Bigger, and Yes I AM the proud owner of a GUT Myself :whistle:
But I would choose something bit more flattering

I am NOT a Snob in anyway or form, but YES I have witnessed various forms of it, at Golf Clubs, at Workplaces, almost everywhere u can think of..............THATS LIFE

papyt

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep, sure got people talking
My view , for what its worth
If u have the Money, buy what u want, not hurting anybody

Ive only EVER said anything if a friend was looking to buy something, or was using something, that clearly wouldn't, or want, of benefit to them............is , wrong shafts, etc......
Anybody outside my group of friends, use whatever u want

As for clothes.......wear what u want, as long as within the Club Dress Code
But I do confess to the odd chuckle :D ( to Myself ) when I see middle age guys ( I am 43 BTW ) wearing pink trousers, white trousers even, ( ill fitting I mean as well ) when they are the shape of Darren Clarke, or Bigger, and Yes I AM the proud owner of a GUT Myself :whistle:
But I would choose something bit more flattering

I am NOT a Snob in anyway or form, but YES I have witnessed various forms of it, at Golf Clubs, at Workplaces, almost everywhere u can think of..............THATS LIFE
thank you,that was my point.As for middle aged men wearing pink trousers i'm 54 and have just sent for 2 pairs of the latest sub70 claude tartan ones check em out AWSOME!!!!!!