Callaway Rogue

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I played at the weekend with a guy who has binned off his Epic driver for a Rogue. Not pretty. Not good. Not impressed. We normally hit a similar ball (yep, I have found another pea shooter to play with), but he was way shorter, with an ugly low ball flight.

But, i quite fancy a new fairway, and a new hybrid. Ok, that is pushing it a bit, as I hate hybrids, and am junk with fairways.

I have read up about Rogue stuff, and think a 4w, and may be a 24 ish hybrid. I have had a 24 hybrid for about 4 years, and it must have spent about 4 days in the bag. That said, i rediscovered it recently, and it is a keeper. Well, til I buy a new one.

I lack club head speed, so have always struggled to hit woods, unless on a tee peg. Similar with hybrids, but can knife a mean 3i off the deck.

I have a titleist 913 13.5 degree 3w, which is impossible to hit off the ground, a 913 4w, which i have cut down to a frankenwood, and re-weighted. I have a Nike 5 wood, two Adams hybrids, a Nike hybrid, and a few others. On a good day, i can may be hit any of these over a very low hedge.

Well, I was passing an AG today, and dropped in to have a looksy. Ok, to me all the Rogue stuff sits closed. That said, every golf club ever made sits closed to me. It just does.

They had demo stuff. I fancied a go with a 5 hybrid, around 24 degrees, and a 4 wood, around 17 degrees. No point hitting a 15 degree 3w, wont get it off the ground. Similar story for a 21 hybrid. Tried them before, rubbish.

So, demo stuff. Very limited, esp in a stiff shaft. I like to flatter myself that I need stiff. Fast transition as they say.

All they had in stiff was a 19 hybrid, and a 15 sub zero 3w. Yep, love a low spin 3w off a tee, but flipping useless off the deck. Had time to kill, offer of free range balls, what the heck.

Tried hitting my stock (I like to think) draw. Hybrid first, rubbish, 3w next, equal junk. Cannot get a tune out of either. Flat, ugly, awful.

Swapped to hitting a fade. (Not my preffered shot shape, but needs must, I have 25 balls left).

Wow. Nailing the hybrid, nice high flight, probably about 4 yards fade. Consistent too. Higher flight than I hit my 24. Love it.

Swapped to the 15 sub zero. Slight fade, solid strike, beautiful ball flight, high enough, but would have some run. Love that too. Can nail it off a low tee, but also off the ground. Not what I would have chosen. Have never hit a 3w like this.

So, what do I do. Try hitting my own clubs with a high fade is probably the cheapest option. Is it flattering to hit off a mat? How would the squishy conditions affect the strike?

Do I go 3w, 4w, 5w, sub zero or standard Rogue for the wood? Do I go 19, 21, or 24 for the hybrid? Ok, I can get c/f, but I dont have a gap in mind, I just want a fairway I can hit up in the air, and a hybrid I can hit from a dodgy lie.

I can go get c/f, but on a range, off a mat, I have no idea what I am looking for.

Nice clubs though!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
13.5 degree wood probably isn't suitable for you if you don't have the club head speed to hit it off the deck.

Try 16.5 3 wood/4 wood , 21/22 then high hybrid 25/26 or so. Give you a higher flight and plenty of options.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you're struggling to get them off the deck and have a slow swing speed... why not try a less stiff shaft?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
realistically (not forum #'s) how far do you hit the 3i in the air - carry only? - not counting run out

& has the flight you got out of the 3i as a 'norm' been on the low side?

how much difference in carry only between the 5i 4i & 3i ?

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s amazing how poeple see clubs. All Callaway drivers/Woods/hybrids look wide open to me, same goes for all the Taylormade Woods. All point too far right at address for me to feel comfortable.
Even the draw bias Rogue appears to aim right.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
realistically (not forum #'s) how far do you hit the 3i in the air - carry only? - not counting run out

& has the flight you got out of the 3i as a 'norm' been on the low side?

how much difference in carry only between the 5i 4i & 3i ?

When I have been fitted for irons, they always tell me not to buy a 3 iron, but I am a sucker for one. Carry off a tee peg is ok, carry off grass is pathetic. Realistically, I am probably better off hitting a 5i most of the time, as the 4i and 3i are similar, and I have always hated hybrids.

I am thinking 24 hybrid, 19 hybrid, and 17 4 wood. That is a lot of money though, and that would mean dropping the 3i and 4i, which is sensible, but no fun.

Also, that sub zero 3w was something else!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you're struggling to get them off the deck and have a slow swing speed... why not try a less stiff shaft?

Because it feels like damp spaghetti, and I have no control with bendy shafts. My 55g hzardus in my epic feels terrible, and that is meant to be stiff.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Have you tried a heavier, regular flex..?
I have a fairly quick transition too and a fitter told me a few years ago to forget the lighter stiff driver shafts and go heavier regular.
Got a Rogue Silver regular in my View series and I almost can't hit it to the right.
Feels good too.
Might be a route....
New Rogue range looks good to me but lots of coin.
250 quid for a fixed model fairway is over the top regardless of tech...