High driving

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have always got plenty of height with my drives, too much at times and believe it is costing distance. So, having an adjustable driver, I reduced the face loft from 10.5 to 9.75. Result is still high drives and some that go higher than I might manage with a wedge!!

Anybody any idea what I might be doing to get so much height? I have checked my set up and concentrated on having a full straight follow through but I still seem to have more height than needed.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
We should get out for a game and watch each others drives!! I would love to be able to hit a high drive from time to time. I hit a rather boring low-mid trajectory most of time.

I will get around to posting my swing on here soon so you can watch for any clues that may help you hit a lower ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We should get out for a game and watch each others drives!! I would love to be able to hit a high drive from time to time. I hit a rather boring low-mid trajectory most of time.

I will get around to posting my swing on here soon so you can watch for any clues that may help you hit a lower ball

would like a gander at that too lad.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always got plenty of height with my drives, too much at times and believe it is costing distance. So, having an adjustable driver, I reduced the face loft from 10.5 to 9.75. Result is still high drives and some that go higher than I might manage with a wedge!!

Anybody any idea what I might be doing to get so much height? I have checked my set up and concentrated on having a full straight follow through but I still seem to have more height than needed.

Lower loft does not mean you'll get a lower flight.
launch, spinrate and loft all play a factor in how your ball flys.

I would be looking at your swing and not your club. Your more than likely hitting down with your driver and your spinrate is too high.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are two basic ways of hitting the ball high with your driver.

You can hit steeply down on the ball through impact which will create high spin that gives high trajectory, the problem with this is the ball will tend to drop steeply as the spin drops off giving little roll out.

The other way is to strike the ball on the upstroke with it teed high. This will create a high launch angle but with lower spin, this type of ball trajectory will make more of a rainbow shaped ballflight that lands shallower and runs out more.

There are also issues to do with the amount of driver loft and shaft type than can effect ball height but the two previous methods can be tested with your current driver and shaft to see if you can improve the ballflight.

Hope this helps.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
If you swing down too steeply you normally catch the ball too high on the clubface when it's tee'd up and it pops up in the air.... a sweeping motion is preferred off a tee peg.

If you lean back too far and/or your weight stays back there's a tendancy to hit the ball on the way up.... if you've also opened the face (to stop yourself hooking it) then you've added loft and it's going to go high... open it enough and you're going to slice the life out of it too! :D

(just gotta love high slices..... do you feel it?!!!.... LET'S ROCK!!!!) <<<< :mmm:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
nah its because I have lost my 'slicers' grip after a tip from someone, more upright posture and better swing path. 90% are now slight draw/straight with the odd pull/push.

Anyhow, as I dont use a driver atm I can't comment on this post :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My high driving came because my weight was too much on my heels, it was also causing fat shots. I moved my weight from my heels at address to a more 60/40 towards the front and suddenly I was driving lower and shooting in the mid 80s :D

That was a reduction in 30 shots for a round of golf over the course of a 48 hour period! Just because my weight was in the wrong place at address!

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys, interesting thoughts there, particularly the issue of hitting down on the ball rather than sweeping. Will give that some attention.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can hit steeply down on the ball through impact which will create high spin that gives high trajectory, the problem with this is the ball will tend to drop steeply as the spin drops off giving little roll out.

This is what I've been fighting of late. Now I see it in writing, it matches my symptoms exactly.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what I've been fighting of late. Now I see it in writing, it matches my symptoms exactly.

Its a pretty simple one to solve. All about weight transfer. Try and keep your weight on your back foot more and keep your head behind the ball at impact.
(Its something I suffer with, these two little things have helped me no end)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its a pretty simple one to solve. All about weight transfer. Try and keep your weight on your back foot more and keep your head behind the ball at impact.
(Its something I suffer with, these two little things have helped me no end)

Yeh....I'm getting there....:)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
one thing i did today helped me no end. i would normaly stand with my feet flared out like robert pires / the penguin. stood square for the last three holes and hit the ball like a champion. to be continued! we will see what tomoro brings!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is a problem that has crept into my game. Since I made the changes to my swing I have lost the rainbow flight I got with my driver and I it is starting to baloon. I have been teeing it up lower and lower and that has helped but I am now hitting off a tee height not much greater than I would use for a 3 wood.

I do use a 12 degree driver at the moment so there may be some benefit in using a lower loft but I would not do that if it meant losing some of the consistancy that I have with my current club. I may try and pick up a cheap second hand 10.5 degree driver to play around with on the practice ground and see what happens.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
GB, I don't know if you've read any of my posts recently, but I've been messing with drivers of late.

I tested 4 the other day; 13 (mine) 12, 11.5 and 11 (2nd hand/demo, off my pro) and to be honest, it was the biggest waste of time I remember in quite a while.

Maybe you should have a go with few at a range or something?

It's a minefield out there...I tell you. Incidentally, I found out that both my MX700 and the JPX800 seem to go better teed down a little, as opposed to the Cleveland I tried which was best higher. Weird stuff. Either way, as the loft dropped, the fade started to creep in and the overall distance was not really improved.