Helping people playing a course for the first time

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
Interesting question.

Should clubs do more to help people who are playing a new course for the first time?

Over the past couple of years I've played around 15 different courses - I'm not a member of any particularly club, but generally float around and pay-and-play with friends.

I know this might sound a bit stupid, and I don't expect any sympathy for it, but last week my mates and I played somewhere where none of us had played before.

There was no course layout guides on the back of the scorecard, no signs on tees.

On the 14th, I set up to play a lovely fade around a tight bend in the trees. I played the shot well...only to realise when I walk to my ball that actually the hole dog-legged in totally the opposite direction (this wasn't obvious from the tee box).

Equally, quite a few blind tee shots, or pins obscured on the approach.

Now, that's all part and parcel of a course testing people, but is it unreasonable to suggest that all courses should provide some kind of course layout guide so that if someone is new to the course they can at least see the layout of each hole? Is that fair?

The number of times I've ended up in bunkers that I couldn't see, or in ditches that I wasn't aware of - probably 40 - 50 times over the past year.

I don't really care, but why should I be penalised purely on the basis of not knowing the layout of a course, rather than penalised for a bad choice of shot? OR - looking at it the other way - should I be discouraged from attacking a pin because I'm not familiar with the layout?

Rant over. My point is why can't clubs print course layouts on the back of scorecards rather than flogging advertising which makes them next to nothing?

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i know there not that cheap,but i do try and buy a stokesaver, although i do realise not all courses hae them,

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Interesting question.

Should clubs do more to help people who are playing a new course for the first time?

Over the past couple of years I've played around 15 different courses - I'm not a member of any particularly club, but generally float around and pay-and-play with friends.

I know this might sound a bit stupid, and I don't expect any sympathy for it, but last week my mates and I played somewhere where none of us had played before.

There was no course layout guides on the back of the scorecard, no signs on tees.

On the 14th, I set up to play a lovely fade around a tight bend in the trees. I played the shot well...only to realise when I walk to my ball that actually the hole dog-legged in totally the opposite direction (this wasn't obvious from the tee box).

Equally, quite a few blind tee shots, or pins obscured on the approach.

Now, that's all part and parcel of a course testing people, but is it unreasonable to suggest that all courses should provide some kind of course layout guide so that if someone is new to the course they can at least see the layout of each hole? Is that fair?

The number of times I've ended up in bunkers that I couldn't see, or in ditches that I wasn't aware of - probably 40 - 50 times over the past year.

I don't really care, but why should I be penalised purely on the basis of not knowing the layout of a course, rather than penalised for a bad choice of shot? OR - looking at it the other way - should I be discouraged from attacking a pin because I'm not familiar with the layout?

Rant over. My point is why can't clubs print course layouts on the back of scorecards rather than flogging advertising which makes them next to nothing?

A course planner between the group wouldn't have cost much. Which course was it you played out of intrest?

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I played a course last year where there were no course guides available and plenty of blind shots. One hole even had a ridge about 100 yards from the tee followed by a hidden dogleg left, made a complete lottery of the day. In my view, there should be a map of the hole on view at each tee, at least giving you the basic shape of the hole, if the club are too incompetent to have course guides available to sell to you.

Yer Maw

Head Pro
Visit site
at the very least a simple map on the scorecard, on a small sheet of paper or on the tee box. Any decent course will have a strokesaver which is what I always buy as much to support the shop and for the advice you get in them is better than most gps in my opinion.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i like the courses that put a nice permanent map of the hole on the tee box
cept i usually have to walk back to the yellows to look at it

played Kingsacre last sunday, and although all i had to go on was a tiny itsy bitsy map on the scorecard, neither me, nor the old man went into any lakes or bunkers!

I still dont know what system they were using for 200/150/100 yard markers tho - we seemed to have all sorts of colours marked - yellow, red, blue, white...most confusing!

Give me a 150 marker and a pretty map on the scorecard and i'm a happy golfer ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
i like the courses that put a nice permanent map of the hole on the tee box
cept i usually have to walk back to the yellows to look at it

played Kingsacre last sunday, and although all i had to go on was a tiny itsy bitsy map on the scorecard, neither me, nor the old man went into any lakes or bunkers!

I still dont know what system they were using for 200/150/100 yard markers tho - we seemed to have all sorts of colours marked - yellow, red, blue, white...most confusing!

Give me a 150 marker and a pretty map on the scorecard and i'm a happy golfer ;)

Princes is like that. You need the stroke saver to decipher the code. The markings are all colours and shapes, and not at any set distance. Pity when I played there they didn't try to sell me a stroke saver then.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely learning a new course and it's various hazards is all part of the fun?

Normally when i have gone somewhere new to play I get asked in the shop if I have been before and upon saying no get given directions to the first tee and maybe a little tip, but i wouldn't want a comprehensive guide to every hole....

Most of the courses I have played (admittedly not many) have been pretty well signposted.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have played courses with a short guide to each hole, sometimes with a comment from the pro, on the tee box and it is very useful. Even if I buy a strokesaver on a strange course it often stays in the pocket as I survey the next hole from the tee - before driving into a hidden bunker or ditch:whistle: