Help!!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I continually lack power although I have played sport all my life including squash,tennis, table tennis and am therefore aware of top spin and turning my wrists over etc. Go to the gym 2/3 times a week and having also played football and cricket to a reasonable standard know I have the necessary power but not the technique!

My problem is that I am not turning my body enough and I have recived some instruction from the trainer at the gym. I am mid 55's playing off 15 and realise I am casting at times and not getting through the ball enough.

What tips can some of you guys offer please as I feel realistically a handicap of 11/12 is achievable.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Power is only one bit of the game - games are won and lost on the green! Are you hitting greens in regulation or coming up short?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
3OTT ............ FORGET POWER .

Power is only a little bit of it. The key aspect to hitting longer drives is 'TEMPO'. I personally tee the ball level with the outside of my left foot. This way you catch the ball on the upswing, hitting it farther than if the ball was located in the centre of your stance.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm way down in experience compared to the other two but I've learnt already that power doesn't do it. I often find that cutting back the power improves accuracy and distance. All I've got to do is to remember to apply it.

I've also played lots of different sports - most of which don't translate into golf.

B

birdieman

Of course you need power, pro's dont work out every day for fun. You need power combined with the correct technique however. These days it's all about power through the core.
Over the top is one move I'm prone to, key is to have a good upper body turn and wrist cock BUT do not lift the arms at the top of the backswing. Slow backswing and slow start to downswing is key. Think about a smooth slow transition from backswing to downswing.
If you want to play some of the new tracks off the back tees you definitely need power.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best description I have been given was to treat a drive like a tennis swing. To hit a tennis ball you do not rush the racket back then forward, you draw it back slowly and then accelerate towards the ball. A golf swing should feel the same.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
hi 3.o.t.t.!

I know exactly where you are coming from and totally understand what you are going through.

My confession to you (all!) is that I have struggled all through my golf career with not hitting the ball that far.

There are 3 good reasons for this, two of which I can do nothing about and the other is a mixture of weaknesses in my fundamental swing technique. BUT, what I can honestly say is that as I have improved my swing generally, my distance has gone up and up. I'm not going to get into the exact problems, but even with reduced power I have reached a decent "average" distance these days, not long enough to match the true single figure players, but as good as most mid-handicappers. I make up the rest with solid straight hitting (which is easier with a controlled tempo) and a good short game. I only expect to play 3 shots on the very longest holes (over 430 or so) and make good use of a friendly 12 degree driver.

If you are casting, or have no width, or a million other "classic" faults, a lesson or two can improve your striking no end (without becoming a text book technician) and with this comes a better trajectory and allows the clubs to do their work "naturally". I bet there is something fundamentally wrong somewhere in the chain to stop you generating speed and quality strike.

Most importantly, learn to use your woods (especially fairways), develop a way to hit the ball straight, so you can hit the long stuff with 3/5 woods when all the other lads take irons. Maybe learning to draw the ball would also help, an open face takes huge distance off your ability.
When I was at my best, I consistently hit 3-4 degrees from the inside with a degree or two open face (ball starts right and gently turns "over") This was tested on special equipment (as they use for custom fitting)
With an 80 mph swing speed I could challenge at least 12-15 holes on any course, anywhere. I did it by fixing my plane, firming up my base (feet and legs), working on extending through the ball and insisting on destroying any out-in as soon as it appeared.

Enough.....but I hope this gives you some insight.

Dave

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for the comments which are appreciated.

Went out last night with a 5 handicapper who told me I was taking the ball too far inside on the backswing which meant I was trying to overcorrect. This he thought was a reason for the lack of distanceand the casting.

He tried to get me to turn more,and when my club was horizontal with the ground and my left arm straight, quite difficult for me, cock my wrist.

Going on the practice range in 1 hour to try it out!!

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Madandra - good tip - going to try that out.

3oftt - concentrating on your technique will go much further than spending hours in the gym. Look at the tiny little asian girls like on tour who must weight about 6 stone with the muscle tone of a girbil - they hit it miles. It's all to do with timing which only comes with experience and practice. Keeping up your fitness is good though - looking like a sweating monty heaving up the 18th won't do you any favours. Has anyone ever played 4 rounds in a row?? There's no way I could do that week in week out.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't manage 4 rounds in a row in the clubhouse let alone on the course. I see guys of all builds smashing seven shades of 5h1t out of their golf ball only for it to go 180yds. I think if you have strong wrists that don't yield at impact then you can strike through the ball.

As Peter Allis says:
The golf ball gets in the way of the perfect practice swing.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. I was taking the club too far inside on the backswing which meant I was trying to overcorrect. This he thought was a reason for the lack of distance and the casting.

2. He tried to get me to turn more,and when my club was horizontal with the ground and my left arm straight, quite difficult for me, cock my wrist.
1. yes, very likely......
2. that old chestnut.......in essence, taking it back on the right line, making a wide arc and cocking the wrists as the club shaft hits parallel to the ground - all correct, yes!
but it's not that easy, and takes extraordinary patience.

One drill (I never did it) is to put a ball behind the club and roll it backwards off the practice mat as you make the backswing. Someone here will know the exact description.
You don't neccessarily need a wide arc to hit it decent (although you will for big hitting) but you do need to get in good shape at the top of the swing to make a half good shot.
Try Faldo/Leadbetter's pre set and coil drill.
Practice extra hard to extend through impact
Practice baseball swings (concentrating on turning your torso)
Get a mate to check your swing plane, you can be a little flat (sergio, jimenez et al) or a little upright (furyk, monty?), but not way off.
There is a chance your takeaway is killing any chance. (I apologise to those who don't think this term exists!)
Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally tee the ball level with the outside of my left foot.

Tried this on the range last night. It's too far forward for me but bringing it level with my left foot had me hitting straighter far more consistently - even in the wind. At least there were fewer wild excursions off to the right. Thanks Mate

OOB

Medal Winner
Visit site
Best description I have been given was to treat a drive like a tennis swing. To hit a tennis ball you do not rush the racket back then forward, you draw it back slowly and then accelerate towards the ball. A golf swing should feel the same.

I have heard this too- and gave it a go on the range, only thing is my tennis forehand is loaded with tons of topspin. With a golf driver this translates into a banana hook, by cutting it down a bit I can use the technique to produce a draw, but sadly cannot get it under control on the course.