Help with my swing pls

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
"The method he has sent me away with is a downswing andfollow through in two motions. The downswing starts by swiping the club handlethrough the same plane to which it arrived there causing the club head tostrike the floor by my right foot. The second motion is to turn my shouldersthrough towards the target drawing the club head through to strike the ball. "

I've read this a few times and still can't quite work it out. How can it be a 2-piece motion from the top of the backswing, or is that just a drill? Did you get a video of it? It's been a long week so maybe I'm just being dim :mmm:

Sounds like the pro wants to make sure that the left arm reverses direction first and drops to around waist high before unwinding the shoulders. Unwinding from the top with the shoulders is a major cause of OTT , out to in swing path.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
He is trying to show you some drills I think Monty. Your new to the game so he has a clean blanket to play with. What he wants is to show you the correct way to swing and how to get the maximum potential from it. DO not think about it too much and listen to what he is saying. As you have more lessons it will become obvious. I had some lessons a year ago and was getting taught how to slice the the ball...:angry:. But after I had finished having the lessons I was hitting the ball long and straight. Just remember sometimes it is not obvious what he is doing, but he knows best as he is the one that makes money from doing it.

tommyangles

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replying, busy working and sneaked a quick nine in again this morning before work. Temporary greens due to the frost and have to say I hated them, my first experience of temporaries was not enjoyable.

The new swing was broken down into a drill comprised of two actions:

1. At the start of the down swing my coach had me swiping the club (primarily with the right hand) through the same plane / angle to which it had arrived there from via back swing. The drill was to throw the club handle away from the right shoulder causing the right elbow to fully extend keeping the club head at its furthest point from the body. I think this was to stop me drawing the club into a steep down swing causing the out to in strike. One point I forgot to mention, at this stage he asked me to turn my wrists on the down swing to what felt like a closed position.

I continued this part of the drill until he was happy I was making the correct angle of down swing. This is where the club was striking the floor by my right foot.

2. Make a full turn with my shoulders so the torso faces the target.

The hardest thing for me was the timing between the two actions and not turning my shoulders fully through to the target, but practice makes perfect!

I'm at the range tomorrow and will knock up a quick vid of the two individual stages and them together. Hopefully it will make clear the babble above!

Tom