Help wanted choosing a Driver please... help!

rhubarbtheatregolf

Medal Winner
www.rhubarbtheatre.co.uk
Can anyone please help me narrow down a choice for purchasing a Driver?

Recently I received driver (and shaft) advice from a Cleveland Staff Pro during one of their Demo days. I was also advised (4 weeks earlier) from a Direct Golf Pro.

As a consequence of their advice, I am now rather confused as to what Driver and shaft combination to actually look for.

Both advisers were very helpful, and I am sure they are knowledgeable enough. However, after watching me hit a selection of drives the Cleveland staff suggested I needed a stiff flexed 10.5-deg Driver, whilst the Direct Golf Pro recommended an A-flex or senior shaft fit to a club with more loft such as an 11 or even 12-deg! Hence my confusion.

Basically, I play to 12 handicap, I hit the ball pretty solidly, my swing is very much from the inside, or as one of the Pros described me as having a 2-deg flat swing. I try to draw the ball mostly (which I do when I am on song). My miss however, can either be a severe hook, or even a fade-spun push right! (I am right-handed). I hit a rather high ball with most clubs, and although this is useful for irons, obviously I lose distance with driver because of this. I would therefore like a more penetrating flighted drive with less spin if possible. I know I need to work on this with my swing of course, and although I can't rely totally on the quality or type of Driver I use to create this kind of drive, I do think a more appropriate club could perhaps compliment my swing-type more effectively?

So, after all that (sorry about the waffling) can anyone recommend a shaft/driver/loft combination for me to at least try out please? I don't mind which make or shape of head. Thank you for reading this rather desperate plea. Looking forward to your advice - I know someone out there must have an answer for me.......? Philip. :D

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can understand the 11 or 12 deg loft as most of us use too little loft on the driver but A flex, no, not unless you have a really slow swing, anyone who hovers around the 90-100mph mark is going to probably need regular, over 100 then stiff would be the better choice.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm no expert but it sounds to me like a regular shaft will suit you down to the ground rather than a stiff or A flex. Try anything 10 degrees and above. Try them all. You'll find one that works for you.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You really need to get accurately measured.

Based on the limited info we've got, the go for something with a Grafalloy Reg in it with 10.5 degrees of loft.

What shaft is in your Wilson?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for your help. My swing speed is approximately 88mph, which is based on my average driver carry of between 200 and 220yds. Philip.

Phil.....if you are carrying 200+, your clubhead speed probably isn't 88 mph.

rhubarbtheatregolf

Medal Winner
www.rhubarbtheatre.co.uk
Imurg: Thanks for your help. Yes I think your right - I just have to try as many as poss.

Sparticus: My Wilson has a UST Mamiya Shaft R-Flex (not s-flex as stated) 50 Series Axivcore. I've never really got on with it - I don't know why. Nevertheless, I'll try out a Grafalloy regular shaft in a 10.5-deg driver as suggested. Does it matter what Make Driver I go for? Or not? I have no particular favourite manufacturer - any suggestions welcome. Or should I simply try as many as possible? Not many places I can do that around here (Lincoln). Perhaps a trip to the Belfry might give me most choice? Any thoughts? Many thanks. Philip.

bigbiffa

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
i have just changed my driver,and was fitted by a pga pro who had many models/makes for me to try before i bought.
the main concern was getting the backspin down as low as possible.this was achieved with an taylor made r9 supertri, with the standard alvida stiff shaft.
now, i find it incredible, that, if you hit the ball high already, that you are being recommended MORE loft?
I was using a 9.5 degree driver before, and my new one is 8.5 degree. i have gained an extra 15 yds, due to a more penetrating ball flight....why would you need MORE height?
Anyway, i would highly recommend the club i ended up with,as it is fully adjustable also for draw/fade flights

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi, Thanks for your help. My swing speed is approximately 88mph, which is based on my average driver carry of between 200 and 220yds. Philip.

Why do you say that?

I swing at about 85 mph and reckon on carrying 200-210 yards, with a total distance of about 220-230, and an occasional biggy approaching 250 ish.

Am I conning myself ?

I use a Benross driver 10*, with a Grafalloy Platinum shaft in regular.

rhubarbtheatregolf

Medal Winner
www.rhubarbtheatre.co.uk
Thanks bigbiffa for your advice. Yes, that's what I told the Pro when he suggested extra loft. He explained his reasoning behind this - but to be honest with you I kind of lost him in all his technical jargon. Another reason for my confusion. I will try the Taylormade R9 SuperTri though, thanks. Philip.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just sold the perfect driver for you. Go and try the Ping g10 12 degree with regular TFC shaft.I believe they come in straight and draw versions. They are cheap at the moment as the G15 is out so you will save a few bob as well. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Why do you say that?

I swing at about 85 mph and reckon on carrying 200-210 yards, with a total distance of about 220-230, and an occasional biggy approaching 250 ish.

Am I conning myself ?

I use a Benross driver 10*, with a Grafalloy Platinum shaft in regular.

If there is a "con" it won't be your distances....I know you are far too honest for that, it'll be your clubhead speed. I reckon you do yourself an injustice.

Smash factor probably comes into it, but in general terms 90 mph can just about squeeze over 200 by a yard or two with the perfect loft/shaft/swing combination.

That's my understanding reading around. That's also my experience fiddling around with various lofted drivers.

rhubarbtheatregolf

Medal Winner
www.rhubarbtheatre.co.uk
drawboy: Thanks for the advice. I tried an i15 regular and i15 stiff 9.5-deg drivers today. Very powerful feel, and to be honest not a whole lot of difference between them. If anything the stiff version kept straighter (strangely). The stiff shaft was an Aldila Voodoo. It felt very different to other stiff shafts I have tried in the past. Difficult to express the sensation, but it was as if I did not have to work as hard to square the club-face at impact. Does that make sense, or am I talking a load of rubbish? I have tried Ping G10s before, and G15s; both of which I enjoyed hitting. Although I have not as yet tried your idea of 12-deg G10 reg. I'll give it a go next time I get chance (tomorrow if I can sneek out of gardening!....shhhh.....) Cheers guys, Philip.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I recently went throught the new driver phase too. my swing speed is marginally quicker (93) and with similar distances. I ended up with an r7 Limited 11.5 stiff (Matrix Ozik x-con 5.5) after trying the same club in a 10.5 regular.
although in pure terms my speed may be below the accepted cut-off for stiff, I 'finish' hard and the stiff gave better results.
moral really is don't be put off by accepted norms, and try before you buy - trite but true. as is 'all shafts differ', that stiff flexed Cleveland may not have been so stiff.

lee_leggett

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a 8.5 degree r7 ltd with a stiff shaft, I have a carry of around 240-260, thats more then enough, I can gain a little extra carry if I need to but the harder you try the less control you will have. I have used a Reg rlex in teh past and, i do play well with it, its a Taylor Made burner 10.5 R flex, Its a nice high draw.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My drives have a low/mid trajectory and I use a Burner 2007 with a S flex, 9.5deg loft. I dont like the shape of the new burner heads so I keep with my trusty 07 model.

Others I play with have 9.5 deg drivers but hit the ball higher than me so its mostly a swing thing I think.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

rhubarbtheatregolf

Medal Winner
www.rhubarbtheatre.co.uk
Hi Sawtooth,
Yes, I agree, I too have looked at and tried the Burner Driver, and also felt unsure about the head-shape.

I finally got to Belfry Golf Centre this weekend for custom fitting, which included swing analysis. It would seem my swing speed fluctuates between 90 and - a pleasantly surprising - 105mph. The pro there noted my swing speed suggested a 'regular' flex shaft fitting. As I have been working on a draw, and been trying to eradicate (or at least lessen the severity) of my fade-spun 'bad' shots, he suggested the TM R9 460 9.5-deg Driver with Reg shaft. The combination of head shape, flex and loft encourages a more right-to-left bias. Plus it was easily the longest (and straightest) of all the drivers I tried (and I tried at least 12!). The trajectory also helped with distance; a lower fight than any other I tried. That, coupled with draw-spin (when I swung well enough) enabled me to obtain more distance (from 213-yds carry with my Wilson Shockwave, to 235-yds carry with the R9). Oh well, fingers crossed I don't wake up out of this 'honeymoon period' too soon.

Cheers for your email by the way, much appreciated.

Philip (rhubarbtheatre)