Help Please... before I go mad!

DanfromSheff

Visit site
First of all, this is my first ever post so hello to one and all :)

Secondly, I have been playing golf for about 5 months now. I bought a new but really cheap set of Dunlop Clubs and set off on my way to teach myself the game of golf. Had a few lessons, watched some Youtube Videos, read some blogs, watched the pro's etc and really got into playing.

I have been playing 2 rounds of 18 a week, playing a short par 3 'pitch and put' course twice a week as well and going to the driving range probably twice a week as well (I work from home so can sneak off to do some practice when the feeling takes me). I reduced the amount of shots from 133 the first time I ever played 18 (3 months ago) to 91 (last week)...

All was going great, I understood what I was doing, hitting my driver about 220 etc and so I decided to buy a better set of clubs. I opted for a second hand set of Mizuno JPX 800 HD Irons, and TM RBZ driver, hybrid, and 3 wood. Took them to the range today and it is like I have forgotten how to play. My right hand keeps moving on my grip, my swing feels like it has totally broken down, even the way I am addressing the ball feels different. --

Can anyone help me... please!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm wondering if the shafts are different than your old clubs to your new ones making them feel different.
The Dunlops are probably regular shafts and I'm womdering if the Mizunps are stiff shafts

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the JPX 800HDs. If you feel nothing has changed in your setup and the grips are still fine then my contribution as an 'expert' would be the head weight, perhaps the 800s are heavier...?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lie angles way way out of wack maybe?

Woud love to see the result of someone hitting 4 degree upright irons when they need them 4 down.

DanfromSheff

Visit site
Yes, the 800's have more of a heavier cavity back. I believed this made them even easier to hit though (or is supposed to). The Dunlops I have are really cheap clubs, no where neat as good quality. The lie angles don't see too much different if at all.

The driver is also a problem. Dunlop driver to TM RBZ. Can't hot that either. One is steel shaft other is graphite. Maybe that is the problem...?

Is practice with new clubs just the key with maybe some lessons?

I may be over thinking this and be back to normal tomorrow... Hopefully!

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, the 800's have more of a heavier cavity back. I believed this made them even easier to hit though (or is supposed to). The Dunlops I have are really cheap clubs, no where neat as good quality. The lie angles don't see too much different if at all.

The driver is also a problem. Dunlop driver to TM RBZ. Can't hot that either. One is steel shaft other is graphite. Maybe that is the problem...?

Is practice with new clubs just the key with maybe some lessons?

I may be over thinking this and be back to normal tomorrow... Hopefully!

I bet it is just the excitement of having new clubs. After using a set of old Dunlops, i imagine (maybe incorrectly) that you had been thinking that these new Mizunos would really help you hit the ball better, straighter and further. Its only natural to think this.

Then at the range you hit a few duffers and confidence was affected. You have probably messed your swing up (temporarily i bet), chasing the swing in frustration.

I bet you any money that over the next few visits to the range, you will start to swing like you used to and the new clubs will come good for you.

:thup:

DanfromSheff

Visit site
Completely right mate. Booked an 'emergency' lesson with club pro today. He fixed the swing and after about 15 minutes I'm hitting it better than ever!