help me find my gaps!

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
so going through my bag just now and i've realised i've got a few gaps in the <100 yards range

Ping G20 irons -
9 Iron - 40 degree loft - 130 yards(ish)
PW - 45 degree loft - 110 yards
SW - 54 degree loft - rarely use if i'm being honest mainly in bunkers.

I was thinking about a 52 degree callaway mack daddy wedge as a bridge between the PW & SW - any other thoughts on where I could go from here?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
52 degree wedge is my 'go to' club for most chip and pitch shots. For me it gives the best compromise between choosing to chip and run or pitch and all shots between the the two.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
52 degree wedge is my 'go to' club for most chip and pitch shots. For me it gives the best compromise between choosing to chip and run or pitch and all shots between the the two.
I'm currently talking to an ebayer about a 52 degree callaway mack daddy 3, 52 degree S grind wedge. He's looking for around 50quid for it (it looks like its in good condition).

Is this a fair price?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
so going through my bag just now and i've realised i've got a few gaps in the <100 yards range

Ping G20 irons -

I was thinking about a 52 degree callaway mack daddy wedge as a bridge between the PW & SW - any other thoughts on where I could go from here?
I'd look at 50 degree to keep the spacing from 9 and PW, From there I'd be looking at 56 degree SW to give a little more versatility especially when it's opened up

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am using Ping G700 irons with the power spec lofts. The PW is 43 degrees and is my 110 yard club. I then have Cleveland wedges at 46 (95 yards), 50 (80 yards), 54 & 58. I use the 46, 50 & 54 for chip shots depending on how much roll out I need. The 58 is only used when I need to get the ball over a bunker when short sided.

I agree with Bunkermagnet & Homer that you would be better off with a 50, rather than 52.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Ping G20 irons -

52 would be a bit close to the 54 wouldn't it? You should probably go for a 50°.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
50º wedge all day long for your gap. I'd also take a look at the difference between your PW and 9 though, for me 20 yards is too much of a gap unless you're good at manipulating shots and can hit your 9 less.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all..i'll have a look and see what 50degrees are out there.

i've found a 52 "lucky clover" callaway which i love the look of...finding it hard to resist!
You can buy a 52 if you want but then you'll be getting rid of your 54 to get a 56 or 58.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 50* Callaway MD 3.
In good condition .You can have it for £55 posted.
I also have the original grip as I blow them off and use midsize.
It’s the raw model so will have a bit of rust on it.
I havnt mastered photos on here but if you pm me your email ad I will send you some.

I have a 56* MD3 to match but my mate has it atm it’s hardly used as I won it and never used it.
If your interested £ £120 for both posted Parcelforce 48.

Ps. Or I have a Callaway MD5 jaws model I am using atm you can have that for £85.posted.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
I have a 50* Callaway MD 3.
In good condition .You can have it for £55 posted.
I also have the original grip as I blow them off and use midsize.
It’s the raw model so will have a bit of rust on it.
I havnt mastered photos on here but if you pm me your email ad I will send you some.

I have a 56* MD3 to match but my mate has it atm it’s hardly used as I won it and never used it.
If your interested £ £120 for both posted Parcelforce 48.

Ps. Or I have a Callaway MD5 jaws model I am using atm you can have that for £85.posted.

Thanks for the offer - i took the plunge and went for the 52 with the intention on adding a 56 in a few months time

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Late to the party as the OP already got his club but sorry guys I don’t see the clamour of support for a 50 over a 52 ?

The OP says the 54 wasn’t getting used so there is no equal loft space between 45 PW and 54 SW that would mean an obvious shout for a 50, the OP was using PW to cover the distance from 1 to 110 yards

What was needed was a club to correctly fill a distance gap not a loft gap

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Late to the party as the OP already got his club but sorry guys I don’t see the clamour of support for a 50 over a 52 ?

The OP says the 54 wasn’t getting used so there is no equal loft space between 45 PW and 54 SW that would mean an obvious shout for a 50, the OP was using PW to cover the distance from 1 to 110 yards

You'd still expect 40-45-50 to be decent gapping though since we didn't have much else to go on. As he's bought the 52 now he'll just have to try it out on the course and see if the gapping works or not.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Would also say the 50 degree option to help with gaps.

One of the 1st 'new clubs' I ever got was a Vokey 54 degree oil can wedge. I then ended up getting a Cleveland 52 degree as I'd simply heard loads of guys hitting their 52s for approaches and at shorter par 3s.

I assumed I'd be able to get 100 yards out of the 52, but I couldn't and had major problems trying to get too much out of it and was so frustrated at not having a 100 yard shot.

So for years I had a 46 PW, 52 gap wedge and 54 sand wedge. Clearly not ideal and last year I treated myself to a couple of Vokeys at 50 and 54... which for me is a great set up. I also have a chunky old 60 which I find great for bunkers.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can buy a 52 if you want but then you'll be getting rid of your 54 to get a 56 or 58.

I do not know why

I carry 52/ 54 they have different grinds and bounce and are used for different types of shots around the greens. I tried a 50 myself good for full out shots but it did not give me the control I was looking for around the greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

My argument would be for the OP to start using the 54 and conquer whatever is stopping him using it regularly. Seems pointless carrying a club and being reluctant to use it if the situation requires. It then gives a better gap in my opinion and would provide more shot options especially if he also gets creative with loft to hit it higher or lower

Ultimately is there a right or wrong answer. Personally I want an equal gaping for better distance control but I have also worked hard on learning how to hit shorter shots with my wedges for when I'm between clubs. I guess it comes down to how much effort the OP wants to put in