Help For Heroes 2013

Fish

Banned
Visit site
For those that may not have seen a Challenger Tank, this is me in front of one when doing a full war exercise in Canada.

You heard them rumbling towards you in the night and then go straight over you in the trenches, madness it was but bloody fantastic at the same time.

IMAG0370.jpg

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
For those that may not have seen a Challenger Tank, this is me in front of one when doing a full war exercise in Canada.

You heard them rumbling towards you in the night and then go straight over you in the trenches, madness it was but bloody fantastic at the same time.

View attachment 5410

Didn't realise Challenger tanks were that old.:whistle:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Didn't realise Challenger tanks were that old.:whistle:

TBH, I wasn't 100%, it might have been a Chieftain as the Mk1 Challenger came on the scene mid 80's which was when I was in Canada and the Chieftain overlapped it.

I'm sure we'll get a 9 mile sniper come on and correct me :)

A

Alex1975

View attachment 5410

What's that on your head?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I've never done one of these before... but as it's on my doorstep, it would be a shame to say no to it.

Please add my name to the list!

Nor had I last year, only the 2nd time I had driven away from my club to play, took 3 hours and I've been hooked ever since.

Great days in great company

Just throw yourself at it, I did :thup:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
still an ugly sod back then eh Robin ;)

meanwhile the chefs were grafting their nuts off in a crappy tent on no4 cooksets while you lot posed for photo's and minced about :p

Fish

Banned
Visit site
And Fish, that's definitely a Chieftain. :rolleyes:

Cheers, I wasn't 100% as I said, we only got glimpses of it at 3am when 55 tonnes came thundering over us with a single spot light like something out of War of the Worlds.

I'm pretty sure they showed off a Challenger their as they had just become available.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
still an ugly sod back then eh Robin ;)

meanwhile the chefs were grafting their nuts off in a crappy tent on no4 cooksets while you lot posed for photo's and minced about :p

If I remember rightly, I was just back in from about 5 days out on the silt plains and off to the shower blocks, then down to Medicine Hat where some of us came back with black eyes and some didn't make it back at all, the Monkeys had them :whistle:

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
just wanted to give you an update to the final sum raised for 2012. Myself and Robin had some wristbands left over that we have been trying to promote and last night both added another £25 each to the website total taking us over the magic £11,500 mark.

Final total was £11,512.54

Not sure if we'll match that this year as its going to take some beating, but whatever we make you can be sure it will be gratefully received by the HFH team..

I'll be closing down last years web page and opening a new one in the next week or so......this is where you will be able to start paying the deposits for 2013 (£30) and any bets/fundraising that you have been having through the season as and when they become due.

In the meantime, I'll leave you with this letter that I received from Bryn from the HFH team which shows how your efforts are making a difference.

Dear Rick,
I was at one of our Recovery Centres on Friday night when one of the residents, a Rifleman who has lost both his legs, came to show me his new prosthetics. He has the brand new Geniums and was full of enthusiasm as he described all they will enable him to do. They are a big step up from his C-legs and he wanted to thank all at H4H for our part in enabling him and his colleagues to get them.
It made me think about H4H and with what extraordinary speed the last five and a half years have passed as we have battled to improve the lives of heroes. Perhaps we haven't spent enough time reflecting on what we have achieved, thanks to your support.
Would our wounded still be swimming at Leatherhead instead of their own rehabilitation pool at Headley Court? Would we have seen thousands enjoy adaptive sports and other Battle Back activities with some winning Paralympic medals? Would there be £millions available to support individuals with immediate financial grants? Would other charities have been as well supported? If we had not fought for the provision of Genium prosthetics or the Murrison limb fitting centres, would these provisions have been made?
Would there be relatives' houses near hospitals for the nearest and dearest as they sit by the bedside of their loved one? Would there be the Band of Brothers and Sisters networks offering fellowship, or Support Hubs providing coordinated welfare help? Would there be an employment partnership with the MOD? Certainly there would not have been Recovery Centres offering life-long support, perhaps not even the Defence Recovery Capability.
What about the way the public now show our members of the Armed Forces respect? The public now realise that while we Civvies don't want to wear uniform and risk our lives; we can help those who do.
Despite everything that we have done together, it's not over yet. After five years of working together, we now have the framework in place, something better than has ever existed before, but now we have to build on that to deliver our promise of support for life.
Please keep doing your bit; they have done theirs. Pull on that Lycra and join the Hero Ride. Get baking, running, quizzing, climbing, swimming; do whatever you can. Keep going, they have their whole lives ahead of them and they need us. We may have peace one day but they will still be battling.
Thank you all.
Onwards and Upwards!
Bryn

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nor had I last year, only the 2nd time I had driven away from my club to play, took 3 hours and I've been hooked ever since.

Great days in great company

Just throw yourself at it, I did :thup:

I'm looking forward to it - and it's far enough away to try and clean up my short game!!