Help buying clubs - Is this a reasonable setup?

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hey everyone,

New member but hopefully someone can offer some advice, it would be much appreciated!

Basically, in the past couple of months I've got back into golf, playing with a couple of mates (and using their spare clubs) and I've very much caught the bug again. Used to play about 8 years ago (when I was 14) and played off 12 at my lowest.

Obviously I'm not back at that standard yet (shooting 18-25+ on average atm) but feel that I should be able to quickly get back to that level as I'm twice as big as I used to be so just need my short game to reappear.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy myself a 'new' set of clubs. I have about £400-£450 to spend, all in, and really want a set that will last me a decent amount of time so will have been looking at quality clubs second hand as I don't fancy a cheap set of new clubs that are ****. Just know that if I did I'd end up buying a new set 6 months later...

Currently, within my price range I've managed to find a few deals, which would mean I'd have the following in my bag:

Driver: Ping G15
Woods: Ping G15 3 Wood, Ping G15 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW, Mizuno MP SW
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #9

I can manage to get the above for £430. Does this sound like a decent deal(s)? All the clubs I've found are in very good condition considering their age, so hopefully once I've spent some money on them they'll be able to stay with me until my game drastically improves (if it ever does...)

Any help would be amazing, cheers!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hey everyone,

New member but hopefully someone can offer some advice, it would be much appreciated!

Basically, in the past couple of months I've got back into golf, playing with a couple of mates (and using their spare clubs) and I've very much caught the bug again. Used to play about 8 years ago (when I was 14) and played off 12 at my lowest.

Obviously I'm not back at that standard yet (shooting 18-25+ on average atm) but feel that I should be able to quickly get back to that level as I'm twice as big as I used to be so just need my short game to reappear.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy myself a 'new' set of clubs. I have about £400-£450 to spend, all in, and really want a set that will last me a decent amount of time so will have been looking at quality clubs second hand as I don't fancy a cheap set of new clubs that are ****. Just know that if I did I'd end up buying a new set 6 months later...

Currently, within my price range I've managed to find a few deals, which would mean I'd have the following in my bag:

Driver: Ping G15
Woods: Ping G15 3 Wood, Ping G15 Hybrid
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW, Mizuno MP SW
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #9

I can manage to get the above for £430. Does this sound like a decent deal(s)? All the clubs I've found are in very good condition considering their age, so hopefully once I've spent some money on them they'll be able to stay with me until my game drastically improves (if it ever does...)

Any help would be amazing, cheers!

sounds a bit over priced TBH. Driver and woods well over 7 years old Irons prob Older same with the Iron.

£300 max for everything but the putter, not sure about that

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
sounds a bit over priced TBH. Driver and woods well over 7 years old Irons prob Older same with the Iron.

£300 max for everything but the putter, not sure about that

Yep, really good setup based on what you have written, might be slightly expensive just because those irons should be super cheap.

Yeah I do feel like it's a bit expensive considering the age of the clubs, but from what I've found everything that is newer for a similar price doesn't seem to be as well reviewed, how much that matters I'm not too sure.

It's the irons that are particularly expensive, so I could probably find a better deal, but is there another set you think I could look for that would fit my budget?

Basically looking to to get as much bang for my buck as possible within my budget. There's so much available though online I have no idea what that will constitute haha, maybe the Mizuno MX200s?

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sounds a little expensive to me too, but nothing excessive so if in good nick I'd say far away. Also a real decent set up of woods and irons. Bloody good clubs and enough forgiveness in them to help when you need it, but good enough to see you through for many years if you want. I personally would be looking for the updated models of these or very similar lines for that price. I bought a G30 driver for £100 a few months back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally couldn't stand the g15 hybrid , get on very well with the taylormade jetspeed hybrid which can be picked up from clubhouse golf for £59

Chrisb83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like others I'd say its expensive, I've just upgraded my whole by buying them from ebay. I just kept an eye out for auctions ending at odd times like 2pm on a Tuesday or really late on a night and got them for a price I was happy with. If you can its worth hitting the clubs though as newer isn't always best, I bought a G30 3 wood and much prefer the G25 one.

Below is what I
Ping G25 Driver - £95
Ping G25 3 Wood - £70
Ping G25 Rescue - £50
Mizuno JPX Ez Iron - £140

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks so much for the help everyone. I really do appreciate it.

I've definitely realised that I can get newer clubs within my price range, might have to be a bit more savvy but I'm sure I can sort something.

Back to the drawing board! Should be able to at least get newer models of the Ping woods and some Mizuno GI irons.

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go to the golf factory
Havnt been myself but I know a few lads who have and they say it's just a golf cave! Full of gear at good prices

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
Go to the golf factory
Havnt been myself but I know a few lads who have and they say it's just a golf cave! Full of gear at good prices

The place in Denton Burn? Was planning on making a trip over there this week actually!

Can't imagine it'll be as cheap as buying online but a friend of mine recommended I tell him my budget and see if he'll sort me out with a decent deal, fingers crossed haha.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
So... managed to pick up some JPX 825 irons in great nick for cheap.

However, still trying to find a bargain on a driver. Does anyone have any thoughts on a Taylormade R15 driver for someone my level? There's one which looks pretty much brand new selling on Gumtree near me for just £70 (way cheaper), but a lot of reviews are saying it isn't as forgiving as others, i.e. the G25 which I'm hoping I could afford if I keep trying.

Once again, cheers!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

However, still trying to find a bargain on a driver. Does anyone have any thoughts on a Taylormade R15 driver for someone my level? There's one which looks pretty much brand new selling on Gumtree near me for just £70 (way cheaper), but a lot of reviews are saying it isn't as forgiving as others, i.e. the G25 which I'm hoping I could afford if I keep trying.

Once again, cheers!

I loved my R15, set the weights in most forgiving setting and its a nice driver

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Once again, cheers!

I have an old G25 (slight dent in the edge of the crown but not visible at address and doesn't affect performance) you could have for the cost of postage (for which I can get a quote depending on how/where you want it sent)

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Go onto onlinegolf.co.uk and go to the clearance section.
you get some Cobra irons for 210. Easily make a decent set up that's new and will last you a good few years.

Personally - I would invest a bit more in getting your irons right.

do you really need a 3 wood or a hybrid? Could you get away with irons, driver, wedge and putter?? it'll get you started and you can then just modify your set as your get better.