Hello and Help!!

Rsince81

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, long time observer here, I have been registered for a while, but have yet to make a contribution!

I have been playing for two years and I'm currently a member of a club in Berkshire, playing off 22 (I recieved my first handicap a little over a month ago). I am lucky enough to play and practice regularly, however my enthusiasm to hit balls often overshadows meaningful practice of the things I should be working on.

I have therefore decided to use this winter properly, identifying and working on areas to improve my overall game, and to reduce the handicap to a significant level that matches the amount of time I currently have a golf club in my hands!!

My short term plan for the winter was to have a lesson a month until spring starting this friday, but unfortunatly the pro has cancelled the first lesson, so I thought now would be a better time than ever to ask if you guys could have a little look at my swing? In particular, I am quite concerened about some very noticable head movement (towards the ball), and poor weight transfer. At the moment I am hitting my irons well with a slight draw, however this is getting more extreme with the hybrids and woods (driver is awful, with regular snap/duck hooks).

Any contributions will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

7 iron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k83weYBaR8Q

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I recognise that range as the Downshire. Where do you play? Sadly hitting balls isn't constructive practice. One bucket is more than enough for any session and you need to focus on what you are trying to work on each time. Which pro are you using and how much is he charging?

Rsince81

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Homer, well spotted, it is indeed Downshire! I live in Crowthorne, I'm a member at Sand Martins. I have used head pro Steve Cox for a couple of lessons when I first joined (April). He is quite reasonable (£25 1/2 hour), and I plan on continuing with him.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi & welcome to the forums.

I'm not an expert but until one pops along, I think you have a great address position. The club looks like it's being taken away outside the line a touch initially, and for me the tempo could be better, but I don't think you'll be 22 for very long.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ok. The reason you're falling forward is due to the fact that your right leg is not maintaining the flex in the backswing. That's coupled with a very flat swing plane which means that you need to fall forward slightly to have any real chance of hitting it. It's also the reason why you are gripping down the shaft and 'reaching' for it at address.

You need to stand a little closer to the ball and also a lot taller. Focus on maintaining the right knee flex which will help you maintain height and also on picking the club up a little more with your wrists rather than rolling your hands under the shaft (if that makes sense).

Most importantly... see a pro. They will sort you some drills out for this.

Rsince81

Hacker
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the input. I had a feeling the head movement was down to the flex in my legs, but thought it might be due to the left knee flexing too much, so I'll work on that right knee.

I also have have a habit of 'rolling the wrists' on the takeaway, so I think I know what you mean about picking The club up with the wrists. I'll have a tweak at the range and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Jonny

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No worries..

The easy way to spot it is to take a look at the vid frame by frame. Click it along slowly and you'll see the forward movement is coupled with that right knee unflexing...

Also. Get a front view. You may also be swaying slightly which would have an impact on the right knee positions as you move.

And seriously. See a pro. They easily spot this sort of thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi Homer, well spotted, it is indeed Downshire! I live in Crowthorne, I'm a member at Sand Martins. I have used head pro Steve Cox for a couple of lessons when I first joined (April). He is quite reasonable (£25 1/2 hour), and I plan on continuing with him.

I know it very well. My other half worked there for a year in the office until she and Andrew had a massive falling out. I've used Steve a few times and he's a decent enough teacher. It's a nice course although I don't think Andrew has forgiven me for my actions when she left and so I doubt I'll be visiting again soon.