Head in a spin with choice!

trackdayking

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi i know i know i'm back again! you have all given me great advice but i don't want to spend a bomb and just want to get out and play NOW! so would like just to get a complete set just want to dip my toe before going big guns then if i don't go that of-fern no big loss! I've not played for 15 years so i recon club's have come on quite a bit (wood's were wood ect) seen these on a well known auction site 330476690257 any good? or can u recommend a set up only got £300 cheers. Or bye the way I'm a professional motorcycle racer so if ya need any tip's drop me a line lol.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first question would be have you looked at your local golf clubs/ranges for a set? Most reasonable sized pro/range shops will have similar if not the same (or could order it in) and many these days will price match. You can also get some personal advice and should be able to try a club. They may also have better quality second hand stuff which you could try. If you find what you like in store you can take it home (or on the course) there and then and you'll also be able to get fixed up with balls, gloves, tees, shoes etc.

Ok, having said that, what of the set you're thinking of.

Well Wilson are a good well known brand that produce some high quality clubs. These will be their budget model but I reckon the quality will be OK. It's a current model and is on the Wilson website. You've got everything you need to get you going. You'll probably find a big difference, especially with the driver, compared to when you last played. Other than that I can't say much about the clubs.

As for the price, that seems reasonable for a complete starter set from a good brand and compares favourably with putting together a decent set second hand. Of course there are other online retailers such as Direct Golf or Online Golf that you could check for prices. There's always plenty of deals, special offers, etc around.

One thing I noticed was that this has a cart bag. You can get the same set from the same outlet (or a different set from elsewhere) with a carry bag. If you have a cart or are planning to buy one, or hire one when you play, OK. If not you might want to consider the carry bag option. If you are keen to get out now it's worth bearing in mind that some courses don't allow trolleys over the winter or if it's wet.

Don't know if that helps much. Would suggest you wait and see what others on here think. There are some new starters who might have experience of starter sets that can offer advice. Whatever you decide, good luck and keep in touch with the forum either for advice or updating us on your progress.

Lerx

Hacker
Visit site
I just took up golf in mid summer and was in a similar postion. I opted for a package set of Wilson X31's (currently going for about £180 I think). I can highly recommend these. You get Driver, 3W, 3 & 4 Hybrid, 5-PW irons. Putter I didn't like though and I replaced it pretty quickly. I also quickly replaced the carry bag for a cart bag and trolley.

I preferred getting a shiny new budget package set to call my own than going for a second hand set.