Head Covers on Forged irons

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If all goes to plan and i get a new set of forged irons i am thinking of a set of headcovers

Some people hate them some like to stop bag clatter

Should i get some when i choose my new forged irons, what do you guys reckon ??

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am aware that you should dry the irons when you get home without leaving the covers on ( rust risk )

I hate iron clatter, i had a set of cast head Wilson Staff Ci9 irons, the backs of the clubs looked worse than the ball strikes on the face ! and this was purely bag clatter

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've got them on mine, saves bag clatter and keeps them nice and shiney. I do take them off when I get home.

I'll wait for all the insults and abuse to rain down ..........

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't head covers on forged irons cause rust?

Or is that a myth?

For what it's worth I have forged Mizuno blades. They are second hand but were on pukka condition when I brought them. Played them all season, no head covers and they are still in the same condition.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As with many things Golf its a matter of personal preference.
I used them when I had MP58's and after 18 months they looked like new.
Some like the "character" that bag clatter gives forged irons

Don't let anyone tell you that you can or can't use them.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I use the Castle bay clear ones, no bag chatter at all and clubs still look well with no dings. Make sure you give them a quick wipe if playing on a wet day though just to stop them sweating and any potential corrosion.
Everyone has one stigmatic bit of gear in their golf bag, I have iron covers, others have hybrids,chippers,gps,rubber pyramid tees (those horrible ones tied to gether with string...) :D

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use head covers on my irons to prevent clatter and also to prevent noise. I ensure that I dry the head after each shot if it's wet to minimise the cover getting wet and when home they covers are taken off and put on a window sill to dry until needed again. I also do this with driver, fairway and hybrid headcovers as well.
You pay a lot for your gear and you use it a lot and want it to stay at the peak of it's condition surely? Would be like buying a Koenigsegg and never washing it or maintaining it and expecting it to still look and perform as good as it always has.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I love the sound of forged heads clicking, the 'damage' isn't bad as long as your not jogging with them.

T

thecraw

Actually ordered iron covers yesterday, hope they don't bug the life out of me!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
My neww irons will hopefully be here tomorrow and I am going for a set of THESE My current irons look pretty beat up although they are 2 years old now.

T

thecraw

My neww irons will hopefully be here tomorrow and I am going for a set of THESE My current irons look pretty beat up although they are 2 years old now.

Hoots mon, gee yersel a shake!

Horrendous! Like a gimps condom!