HC going up mid competition. Is it right?

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
I recently played a pairs better ball inter club competition. There were 2 pairs from our club and we both ended up with 44 points (a winning score). My pair would have won on count back but one of the lads in the other pair had done badly in previous day's comp. When we started we were both on 19 HC and that's what was on the card. Mid way through the game or maybe at the end, he checked and yesterday's comp result had been published and he gained 0.1 which took his HC to 20. As he had scored on the SI 2 hole he therefore argued that he should have had an extra point and therefor winning the comp.
Is this right? I know that if you know you are likely to be cut then you should cut yourself before a comp but not increase.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I recently played a pairs better ball inter club competition. There were 2 pairs from our club and we both ended up with 44 points (a winning score). My pair would have won on count back but one of the lads in the other pair had done badly in previous day's comp. When we started we were both on 19 HC and that's what was on the card. Mid way through the game or maybe at the end, he checked and yesterday's comp result had been published and he gained 0.1 which took his HC to 20. As he had scored on the SI 2 hole he therefore argued that he should have had an extra point and therefor winning the comp.
Is this right? I know that if you know you are likely to be cut then you should cut yourself before a comp but not increase.

I'm sure someone will be along with chapter/verse but for me the bit in bold is all that really matters. His handicap when he tee'd off was 19 end of story

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So how did it finish up??

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
No. He/You should have been off 90% of handicap.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now im getting confused!

Whilst 19 was 'On the card' at some point we have not been told whether, as a result of establishing that a handicap had changed prior to submitting the card, the player altered this.

It's a stroke play competition.

If the player amended the handicap prior to returning his card then that is the relevant fact; and providing at the time the card was returned the handicap entered was correct that is the one that should be used to establish their stableford score.

The wording of the original question, where it references arguing that they should have an additional point, strongly suggests that the player actually returned the card with the original handicap and subsequently argued that his handicap was actually higher now. If this was the case then his original score, based on 19, should apply.

It's probably worth considering what should happen if the player received and viewed an email advising him of an unexpected decrease in handicap (ESR, or increased CSS above SSS, for example) during a strokeplay round...

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, my comment was poorly expressed. I was assuming that the words 'claiming the win' meant that the claim had not been upheld. If the claim had been successful the words should have been 'they were awarded the win'.

Also 'that was on the card' implies, in this context, when it was returned and recorded.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
Okay, What was on the both cards prior to the start of the competition was 19. After the competition he checked his email and realised his handicap had gone up by 0.1 which would make his HC 20.
I'm not sure if he changed the card but he went to the pro and the competition organiser and told them. One wasn't sure as to the correct ruling and the other said the he'd leave it to us (as we were all from the same club and it was a sort of friendly competition) to decided and they decided they had won. We did not want to argue the toss over basically one bottle of wine difference in prizes between first and second and left it at that.
I did ask our HC secretary later on and he agreed that what was recorded on the card at the beginning of the competition should have stood.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did ask our HC secretary later on and he agreed that what was recorded on the card at the beginning of the competition should have stood.
As the card seemingly was not altered, it doesn't make any difference but the player is only obliged to have any handicap on the card when it is returned.
19 is his handicap if not altered, 20 if it is.

Matchplay is different.