Hazard markings

Grunt

Visit site
Par 3 hole. One metre wide creek passes obliquely across, close to the green. The creek is marked as a hazard with coloured lines, BUT the side nearest the green is marked yellow (water hazard) whilst the side furthest from the green is marked red (lateral water hazard). This causes much confusion.
Q.1 Am I right in assuming that the hazard should not be marked in this way?
Q.2 Given that it IS so marked, are players correct in proceeding by the rule which is applicable to the colour of the part of the margin last crossed?
n.b. a ball crossing the red line last (i.e. the side away from the green) may on occasion, depending on the location of that point and the position of the pin, be dropped on the green side of the hazard (but no nearer the pin). To most players this appears intuitively wrong. By the way, there is no obvious reason why the red line exists. It is perfectly possible to drop back behind the hazard as per normal water hazard rules, and thus there is no need to designate any part of the creek as a lateral hazard (see Definitions in Rules of Golf).

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
you're right it sounds funny.

the seemingly obvious explanation is that whoever set up the hazard had problems with the length, and direction, of his putting. either that or he thought it unfair to make you re-cross the hazard if you spun back.

have to admit that I always have problems with where to drop on a lateral. if you abide by the 'on a line from where you last crossed the hazard to the pin' how can you not drop closer if you drop on the green side?