Has your game literally changed overnight?

albie999

Visit site
Not practiced on the skytrak for a week (since a mate came over), jumped on it last night .. and literally cannot hit a shot ... I am shanking every club out of the hossle

It feels like I'm a beginner. I usually setup with the ball in the middle of the club (irons\hybrid), and that gives me a central strike

Just been back in this morning to see if it was a one time thing, but same again. So, decided to setup with the ball more to the toe, suddenly start hitting more out of the middle

Am confused how suddenly changed

robbeh32

Visit site
Yes. I shot my best round the other week 86. Then the next day couldnt hit the ball and was topping everything. Happens to all of us.

D

Deleted member 25172

Yes, I had a spell for about a month in the summer last year where I started to shank the ball probably 1 of every 4 shots or so without any apparent reason. It was just there one day. Finally it disappeared. No idea what changes I made, but glad it all was sorted in the end.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine can go somewhere in the backswing. It’s golf.

We all have tendencies we work with or fight against. For me it’s my takeaway, if I get quick or too inside all hell breaks loose. Take a day off, head to the range and really take your time, don’t go with a half hour time limit. Pick a pin about 100 yards out and pitch a few balls at it, trying to get each one closer than the last. I’d be surprised if that shank hasn’t disappeared by itself. My mate has a wicked shank and I’m convinced having seen him do it so often it is 95% mental

albie999

Visit site
It's happened for the last 2 sessions I've done, the only thing I could do is setup different to the ball to get my strike back ... It's just so weird, as it does not 'feel'like I'm swinging any different

D

Deleted member 23270

Buy a left handed club and practice with that. Trust me, it works. You'll be sorted out in no time ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I had to give up playing on a course for about 6 months. For every 100 yards forwards I was 50 yards right. I used to go to the range twice a week to see if it had gone
Tried lessons but the pro could not see where it was coming from because I used to swing so fast.

On day on a range after hitting about 10 balls I suddenly hit an absolutely perfect draw. Stopped hitting balls and thought about what I did different and finally worked it out.

The shot is still there every so often but at least I know what causes it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My game change change in a middle of a round.
Phew, starting to think it was only me!

Personally I put it down to physical issues like back/pelvis locking, unlocking, neck etc but there's no doubt that the simple action of thinking about what I'm doing during the swing can destroy things during a round that was otherwise progressing normally! Sometimes I can get it back; normally I can't.

Confidence and competence are so closely tied together in golf?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yes, I had a spell for about a month in the summer last year where I started to shank the ball probably 1 of every 4 shots or so without any apparent reason. It was just there one day. Finally it disappeared. No idea what changes I made, but glad it all was sorted in the end.
I'd suffer a move if em too if it was followed by the golf yours was fella!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You're literally being punished for the overuse of literally ???

Feb this year I had a lesson after a good warm up and pretty much shanked 50 balls in a row. Pro was at a loss, and I was scrambled. Few months later gained a cut to single figures. It is a frustrating & beguiling game.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Phew, starting to think it was only me!

Personally I put it down to physical issues like back/pelvis locking, unlocking, neck etc but there's no doubt that the simple action of thinking about what I'm doing during the swing can destroy things during a round that was otherwise progressing normally! Sometimes I can get it back; normally I can't.

Confidence and competence are so closely tied together in golf?
Read a book called hole I one nutrition mate. A lot can be frustration or concentration which can do with how you fuel before and during a round or practice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Biggest downer for me is the way form can suddenly go mid-round. You know the scenario, going along through the turn and into the back 9 and perhaps a couple under handicap and then wham, a really bad hole from nowhere (worse if that's a medal round) and then another. The brain gets scrambled, the tempo goes and you suddenly have no idea where the next shot is going. Is it just as simple as nerves and expectations?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
3/4 of golf is knowing how to fix your game. Go find a pro, get a lesson on fixing your faults yourself.

Coaches should both take your game forward and help you combat your tendencies.

In other words a good pro makes your bad shots better first then works on your good shots.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
It can go from bad to better within minutes as well. My last game I had 5 blobs in the first 6 holes, was getting worried I might run out of balls then from nowhere came a run of pars and a score of 29 points.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My golf game changes every night. :LOL:

Early this year I developed shanks that were ruining my game. I did some research online to find the most likely cause, which I think was that I didn't rotate my hips much - swing was all arms. Started focusing on rotating the hips more and that fixed it. Not only that but I started hitting the ball better than ever, and a few months later I'd been cut 5 shots.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
has it changed overnight? blimey mate, it's changed over a hole. you haven't played golf until you experienced how it feels to play and feel like a tour pro one hole and then feel like you've never held a club before on the next. just drink beer after. its like a reset button

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I doubt if your game has changed overnight.
You'll probably find it's just one thing that has slipped. One piece of the jigsaw has moved and now it all feels wrong.
In your attempt to find the cure, you're moving the jigsaw pieces that are right and making things worse.
Go and see a jigsaw expert.
Good luck