Has use of GPS altered your set configuration?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
GPS has definitely had an effect on my game. It has made it easier to commit to a club choice and not subconsciously quit or decelerate on a shot.

But another thing that it did was significantly change my set configuration.

It's ironic, given present circumstances, but I bought a new set for this season--my first new one in a very long time.

When I bought every previous set, I wasn't playing with GPS. Nobody was, actually.

Now that I do, that radically changed the makeup of the set that I assembled.

Have any of you had a similar experience?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
No...why would it?

I don't know. I was just curious.

It did for me because GPS showed me that I hit two many long clubs too close together in terms of distance increment, so therefore I didn't need as many long clubs.
It also encouraged me to go with more wedges because it could help me decide when and where to hit each one, when the time that I could commit to practice would be insufficient to accomplish that.

I was simply curious to know if that was a shared experience or not.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no i've had a range finder the last 5 years and they really improved my game, just got a trolley with GPS with is fine for bounce games and winter gold where i'm less con about distance

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
no i've had a range finder the last 5 years and they really improved my game, just got a trolley with GPS with is fine for bounce games and winter gold where i'm less con about distance

Distance calculating devices, GPS or rangefinder, have helped your game, but prior to using them, you had apparently already settled on the set makeup that was appropriate for you.

I had more long clubs than I needed, it turns out, for most of my golf life, but back toward the beginning, there weren't multiple wedge sets available, even if one would know how to use them.
That has changed with GPS helping to sort out which of the multiple wedges to hit in a given situation.

That's why, playing with GPS, I radically changed my set makeup with fewer long clubs and a big set of wedges.

Carrying it a little further, most of the folks with whom I played as a boy (many years ago) had a set of four matching woods, 1, 3, 4, 5---a set of nine matching irons, 2-PW, a putter, and no concern about the 2-ron / 5-wood overlap and not having a sand wedge.
Let's say that they hit those old 52º pitching wedges about 115 yards, give or take, just for the sake of example.
They thus had 12 clubs for over 115 yards, and 1 for 115 yards in. Nobody thought that that was strange because we didn't know any better.

GPS, in a way, mitigated my insufficient practice to help me take advantage of multipole clubs from 100 yard or less.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, I bought a range finder even before they were allowed to be used in comps so as to build up a yardage book. It just made life easier when they were ruled legal in comps as it saved referring to the book all the time. I've only ever bought clubs and found which ones go what distance

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Comps haven't been the issue for me, because I've stopped playing in them.
I play in pickup games with other old timers on weekday mornings and afternoons.

But right now, I'm not playing at all, nor can I guess when and if I will again.
I'm in the "high risk" group, supposedly.

Anyway, it looks like GPS hasn't affected many peoples' bags as much as it has affected mine.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Distance calculating devices, GPS or rangefinder, have helped your game, but prior to using them, you had apparently already settled on the set makeup that was appropriate for you.

I had more long clubs than I needed, it turns out, for most of my golf life, but back toward the beginning, there weren't multiple wedge sets available, even if one would know how to use them.
That has changed with GPS helping to sort out which of the multiple wedges to hit in a given situation.

That's why, playing with GPS, I radically changed my set makeup with fewer long clubs and a big set of wedges.

Carrying it a little further, most of the folks with whom I played as a boy (many years ago) had a set of four matching woods, 1, 3, 4, 5---a set of nine matching irons, 2-PW, a putter, and no concern about the 2-ron / 5-wood overlap and not having a sand wedge.
Let's say that they hit those old 52º pitching wedges about 115 yards, give or take, just for the sake of example.
They thus had 12 clubs for over 115 yards, and 1 for 115 yards in. Nobody thought that that was strange because we didn't know any better.

GPS, in a way, mitigated my insufficient practice to help me take advantage of multipole clubs from 100 yard or less.
yes already settled on clubs and had my distances, the main thing for me was carry distance, over bunkers etc and most of all being a links course we have (had ) big greens and the pin could be sometimes 2 clubs difference, esp just using the yardage on the fairway sprinklers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first bought mine it made me realise I did not walk a yard and I did not hit my irons as far as I thought I hit them but nothing changed in the bag.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My setup is dependant on our par 3s you need the correct clubs for them.
Everything else is down to skill/ luck.
Rangefinder just tells me the yardage to select the correct club.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would argue that the launch monitor and digital accuracy when it comes to strike/launch conditions/carry/spin etcetera had more influence on peoples sets than GPS.
I still like the GPS/range finder for distances and subsequent club selection.