Has anyone tried any of the new drivers?

D

Deleted member 1147

Fitted for a G430 SFT last night which I should hopefully be picking up in the next week. The correction it makes to my slice/fade was pretty astonishing so very happy I got fitted. Also got some free rounds at the belfry with it so it was a no brainer.

It’s replacing my G425 max which was purchased off the shelf 2 years ago. The fitter explained that my shaft was suited for a pensioner?

Will be a huge difference to my game no doubt. Feels like it’s impossible to slice.

Would anyone be interested in my Ping G425 max as there has to be a few pensioners on here lol
So you had a soft/lightweight shaft and it made the ball go right?
I'd have expected it to go the other way

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Why dont you throw it into the pot for your next round, you like a bet dont you?

Lightbulbs are flashing in my head now you mention this

The shaft weight was too light for my club head speed apparently.

Face to club path was big factor in why it was slicing as it showed around a negative 7 average. The SFT seemed to correct this and the majority of strikes were not far offline (majority left) and the ball flight was very consistent. Something I can definitely work with. Big confidence boost aswell.

My index is currently 16.2 and I’m hoping this investment will bring me closer to 12 by the end of the summer 🙏

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apparently it's not uncommon for the opposite reaction to a soft/stiff shaft..
A softer shaft should go left but with some people it does go right and vice versa..
Just shows that we all swing it differently.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone been fitted for any of the recent drivers that have came out?

If so how did you find them? Pros and cons

G430 with standard shaft that does not suit me, much better than my G410 with the correct shaft, now what can I sell to fund the silly proces they are asking for new drivers :unsure:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I bagged one of Aldridge's finest today, smoked a few long ones out there but not sure it was any better than the model I had in the bag last week.
Dispersion was about the usual for me, 9 fairways missed, left and right.

Maybe I should buff up the shaft a bit before its next outing in the Sunday comp?

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tried the Ping G430 Max against my Callaway XR16 driver yesterday, absolutely no difference in performance for me

No distance gains at all and dispersion very similar. Possibly even better with my XR16 as was getting a slight fade with the Ping which isn’t a shot I ever hit

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tried the Ping G430 Max against my Callaway XR16 driver yesterday, absolutely no difference in performance for me

No distance gains at all and dispersion very similar. Possibly even better with my XR16 as was getting a slight fade with the Ping which isn’t a shot I ever hit

Thats what you should get. Any differences some perceive is simply confirmation bias, poor testing, or a lack of knowledge of statistics and standard deviations. I think its Lou Stagner who put it "all of the manufacturers claims are 100% bs, every single ounce of it". What is amazing at this stage is the number of golfers who do know that and still compare clubs. Or 'comparison' tests that hit 5 balls with each clubs and draw a conclusion.Its hard to know if some of them know what nonsense they are engaged in but see it as legitimate marketing even though hocum, or they actually believe what they are saying.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I was playing with a guy who had a Stealth driver today first one I've seen, I was toting one of Aldridge's finest again.

When we both middled one he had 20 yards on me. He probably had 20 years on me too and 2 inches additional shaft length but there's no denying that the most recent drivers are better than those of 40 or 50 years ago.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was playing with a guy who had a Stealth driver today first one I've seen, I was toting one of Aldridge's finest again.

When we both middled one he had 20 yards on me. He probably had 20 years on me too and 2 inches additional shaft length but there's no denying that the most recent drivers are better than those of 40 or 50 years ago.

Just think how far you'd hit the ball with a driver that’s only 35 years old

D

Deleted member 1147

What was the difference in length of the miss hits?

D

Deleted member 1147

Most of his miss hits were just off line whereas mine were just crap.
Probably around 50 yards but worst case was around 200 yards :eek:
That’s the big improvement in modern clubs that I’ve noticed. The miss hits are so much better than with older clubs.
I had a 5 year old driver and when I changed the misshits went about 20-30 yds further.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Absolutely. The difference between Ti and/or C, and Persimmon or laminate, is chalk and cheese. In the last 15-20 years there has been no advancement though. Effectively since the R&A and USGA forbad that there be any.

D

Deleted member 1147

Absolutely. The difference between Ti and/or C, and Persimmon or laminate, is chalk and cheese. In the last 15-20 years there has been no advancement though. Effectively since the R&A and USGA forbad that there be any.
Rubbish

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
“In the last 15-20 years, no improvement “
Rubbish
No measureable performance improvement that would aid ones golf then. Authoritative analysis has put that question beyond dispute, and only those trying to sell, continue to peddle the improvement illusion. Improvement in the level of marketing imagination has happened for sure, and yes configurability of loft and CoG location. But once actual performance improvement was capped, that was the end of the road. Manufacturers know it very well, but use figures that suggest useful improvement like '17% thinner face', '12% more use of carbon', '6 yds more left right adjustability' to suggest a technical improvement to give salesmen something to work with.

D

Deleted member 1147

No measureable performance improvement that would aid ones golf then. Authoritative analysis has put that question beyond dispute, and only those trying to sell, continue to peddle the improvement illusion. Improvement in the level of marketing imagination has happened for sure, and yes configurability of loft and CoG location. But once actual performance improvement was capped, that was the end of the road. Manufacturers know it very well, but use figures that suggest useful improvement like '17% thinner face', '12% more use of carbon', '6 yds more left right adjustability' to suggest a technical improvement to give salesmen something to work with.

Absolute rubbish.

But of course a ball from last year will act differently to this year?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I am currently playing with a Ping G425 SFT and I can tell you right now, it's miles better than the original Callaway Rogue, the Titleist 910 and the Ping G10, none of which could stop me almost always fading / slicing the ball. I can still do that, but far, far less often. I'm in play so much more and rarely taking 3 off the tee. So I'm very much a believer that newer technology is helping me.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its certainly an interesting topic and must be fertile study for marketing psychologists. The physics and facts of the matter are well know from a scientific standpoint.
Yet a combination of desire for a sharper tool, hope, lack of critical analysis, and a very strong and sustained marketing message can create a totally false belief system. But I suppose people believe in scientology and homeopathy and whatever.

And an inbuilt robustness in the message on drivers is that the very people who know the truth best, the manufacturers, are the same ones who have an existential motivation to not only maintain the omerta, but keep peddling the illusion.

This isnt the best place for a rational discussion on it either maybe. It does feel a little like listening to a group of theologians debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, and someone says - but angels dont exist! Still, I think would benefit the average golfer to have a more accurate perspective on equipment than one which distracts them pointlessly from their goal of improving their golf score.