Has anyone tried any of the new drivers?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was hoping to also book a mizuno fitting, but according to the range that is the dealer, mizuno doesn't have its fitting kits yet.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I like the turbulators, I find they actually help with alignment. Each to their own I guess when it comes to looks
I don't even notice them... even less so now my ball finds the fairway or first cut most times.

Bratty

Visit site
Where were you playing,? I thought I saw a shooting star on the 22nd in the afternoon over Epsom… didn’t realise it could have been one of your drives…….. FROM KENT!
Well, as I beat your score at your old club and new club when we played, I don't need to worry about the driver anyway! ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried the Ping G430 sft today .
bit windy so not ideal ,hit some absolute bombs and my misses were not to bad.
better sound , used my own Alta shaft as it has a midsize grip .
I think it’s defo better than G425 but it’s marginal.
is it £459 better NO.

then tried the Callaway Paradym instant dislike . Can’t say why but thinner grip always makes trying clubs a lottery.
both clubs had 10.5 loft but the Callaway looked about 6* loft.
must be the way the club is constructed but was a bit offputting.
but have to say I hit it well.
very dull sound though. Much lower flight.

going to try the Ping Max tomorrow just hope the wind dies a bit.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Had a crack with the Ping 430 today. A few shots with my M2 which averaged 220 carry , 235 total 14 deg launch and just under 2000 spin. Club speed was well down though mid 90s . On to the ping tried a couple of the Ping shafts. A slight increase in overall distance. We then went down to a reg shaft, but a heavier one, I think it was tour something 70 gram. The difference was a big one, launch was a bit higher , but the Carry went up another 15 yards with a nice flight, total dist over 250, ball speed and CHS were both up.
Very temped, but being tight £460 is a bit on the steep side for me. Going to try the Mizuno when they get the fitting kit in..
The mizuno is going to need to do a lot I think.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had a crack with the Ping 430 today. A few shots with my M2 which averaged 220 carry , 235 total 14 deg launch and just under 2000 spin. Club speed was well down though mid 90s . On to the ping tried a couple of the Ping shafts. A slight increase in overall distance. We then went down to a reg shaft, but a heavier one, I think it was tour something 70 gram. The difference was a big one, launch was a bit higher , but the Carry went up another 15 yards with a nice flight, total dist over 250, ball speed and CHS were both up.
Very temped, but being tight £460 is a bit on the steep side for me. Going to try the Mizuno when they get the fitting kit in..
Would it gave been possible to pop a different shaft into the m2 to see if that made a difference?
I'm tempted to think that, as well as popping on new grips and checking lofts/lies at the start of every season, we should all spend 30 mins on the monitor checking our driver set up is optimised for whatever passes for this year's swing. After all, given a particular swing speed and head delivery, it's pretty well known maths to make sure the setup delivers the preferred flight.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
But...but....fitting is a con.....all shafts are the same......;)

Bratty

Visit site
The Mizuno won't be much cheaper though. Why not get the G425 in the same shaft? Won't be much in it, but there'll be a difference in the price!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting that a heavier shaft helped gain distance. Did the fitter explain why?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Would it gave been possible to pop a different shaft into the m2 to see if that made a difference?
I'm tempted to think that, as well as popping on new grips and checking lofts/lies at the start of every season, we should all spend 30 mins on the monitor checking our driver set up is optimised for whatever passes for this year's swing. After all, given a particular swing speed and head delivery, it's pretty well known maths to make sure the setup delivers the preferred flight.
It is I suppose, but this guy has a trackman, we hit decent balls of my normal tee hight, where as if I wanted to do a comparison the best I could do would be a sim at the driving range with crap balls off a rubber tee.