Has anyone here been to Augusta

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was there Saturday and Sunday of the 2017 Masters.

I'm sure I've bored enough folk on here about it since. If you are able, go..you will never forget or regret it.

Brilliantly organised, very civilised as you move around. Put your chair down whe you get there, its untouched when you return later in the day. Plenty of grandstands and catering. (Very cheap to buy)

And seeing all the famous holes up close. Wonderful!!

D

Deleted member 15344

I know a couple who have been - you can normally tell by the fact they are wearing Masters - Hat , top , ball marker , umbrella. Maybe it’s just me but it’s not somewhere that I’m desperate to go , would be a nice course to play ( know one person who has played it ) but again it’s not on my bucket list. There is just something about the whole thing that doesn’t sit right.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I drove past it once, many years ago. If you weren’t keeping an eye out you’d never know you were passing one of the most iconic golf courses in the world.

Fancying a few photos I visited the local tourist office and asked how I could go about it. The lovely lady smiled at me and pointed to a shelf in the corner.

“Sir”, she said, “the postcards are over there”.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
On the Monday Morning we drove back to the course and parked across the street. Got a few pics stood under the Augusta National GC sign next to the gate on Washington Road... 50 yards up the lane was the security hut... I'd walked less than 10 yards before a huge bloke (with gun) and a big hat approached me and asked if he could help! (They are great and doing very scary and polite at the same time!) About turn, quick march!! (my mate was humming the banjo music from Deliverance!)

We'd queued up the previous day to have the official photo (free) outside the clubhouse. If you go on practice days you can take cameras in... I think you'd get shot if you tried that on a tournament day! :)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Went in 2013 on the Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - have to say I thought it was incredible and would do it all again at the drop of a hat. I'm very quick to think things don't live up to estimations but this was sensational. Highlight/lowlight was sitting by the 16th and looking back down 13 and watching Tiger hit the flagstick and rebounding back into the water. In terms of 'patrons' all pretty normal and brilliant to watch as not over-crowded (obviously) and you're often watching from a bit of height. Absolute highlight was walking round the corner on 11 and looking down to the green and 12th - happily admit I had a little blubber to myself at the thought of Woosnam winning round there.

Mandofred

Visit site
I know a couple who have been - you can normally tell by the fact they are wearing Masters - Hat , top , ball marker , umbrella. Maybe it’s just me but it’s not somewhere that I’m desperate to go , would be a nice course to play ( know one person who has played it ) but again it’s not on my bucket list. There is just something about the whole thing that doesn’t sit right.
Same.

OLgolfer

Visit site
I’ve been a couple of times and regretted going both times. It’s too expensive for what it is, too many Americans for my liking, I couldn’t take my phone in for any photos and the place is over the top. The course is too green and conditioned, it sets the bar too high and is an example of over watered and manicured creating a false illusion of what golf is. Also, watching golf live is pretty terrible as a viewing experience. Much better on TV

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve been a couple of times and regretted going both times. It’s too expensive for what it is, too many Americans for my liking, I couldn’t take my phone in for any photos and the place is over the top. The course is too green and conditioned, it sets the bar too high and is an example of over watered and manicured creating a false illusion of what golf is. Also, watching golf live is pretty terrible as a viewing experience. Much better on TV
With regards to your phone: It is very well documented that you can't bring them in. Were you not aware of this?

With regards to 'too many Americans': It is in America :ROFLMAO:

OLgolfer

Visit site
It’s easy to return when someone else is paying

Have you been?

I think the masters and Augusta is looked at through rose tinted glasses. The history is shocking at that place with regards to race and political issues, Mackenzie was never paid for his work there and the course has been butchered to suit a one dimensional form of the game

IanM

Journeyman Pro
Yes as I said above.

History is history. It is what you learn from it that is important. And crikey, some of those Jackets still have plenty to learn, I agree, but many have learned. Augusta residents would rather have the event there due to the impact on the local economy. Certainly the ones I spoke to...

I think the contrast between the manufactured beauty of Augusta and the raw natural beauty of a Links is a great thing to have in golf. As for one dimensional form of the game, that wasn't something I saw.

Last edited:

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Woods, Reed, Garcia, Willett, Spieth, Watson, Scott, Watson, Schwartzel, Mickelson.

Past 10 winners (technically 9). I can’t say I see too much familiarity in their styles of play....