Harriet Harman is off again

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When it Harriet Harperson going to do something the appalling lack of male midwives? It is less than 1% of the total. I look forward to hearing her champion that cause next.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
When it Harriet Harperson going to do something the appalling lack of male midwives? It is less than 1% of the total. I look forward to hearing her champion that cause next.

Is there a great demand from blokes to become midwives that is being blocked for some reason - no? - then she need do nothing until there is.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Results are just in from the latest poll on the voting intentions of the contributors to the GM forum at the next election. And they are as follows in order of preference:-

1) UKIP
2) Conservative Party
3) BNP
4) National Front
5) Labour
6) Monster Raving Loony
7) The People's Front of Judea
8) Judean People's Front
9) Lib Dems

In truth, if the elected parties did at least 50% of what they promised, then there wouldn't be any need for 'extreme' 'Daily Mail' politics ;)...

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
In truth, if the elected parties did at least 50% of what they promised, then there wouldn't be any need for 'extreme' 'Daily Mail' politics ;)...

Actually it's not really the politics of the Daily Mail that I hate, I do not agree with most of it but hey, I read The Times so I am no stranger to a right wing view. But the fact it's a hateful spiteful little paper blaming anyone apart from white middle class people for most of the ills in this world.

Plus the misogyny of the web site that seems to take the Heat magazine school of journalism as it's bench mark, and print story after story, each including several pictures, of women in their bikinis or tight dresses as 'news' when it's patently obvious they are just doing it so old men can leer at young women in bikinis. Go on, have a look now and no mater what time it is I can guarantee you that a lot of the stories will be about mostly female D list 'celebrities' who have done nothing more than gone to the shops, gone for a meal or gone to the beach.

So slightly racist, spiteful and sexist, not a great combination.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Though there were plenty of folk expressing their view that women members should be allowed.

Plenty of people; her, Salmond & who else? Whilst she said nothing about all female clubs that by definition disbar male members.

If she wants to campaign against single gender clubs for either sex then fine, but to go on about banning only half the single sex clubs in the name of equality is about as hypocritical as it gets, which in the case of a politician is really saying something.

Try reading her Wikipedia page, there's some real gems in there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Plenty of people; her, Salmond & who else? Whilst she said nothing about all female clubs that by definition disbar male members.

If she wants to campaign against single gender clubs for either sex then fine, but to go on about banning only half the single sex clubs in the name of equality is about as hypocritical as it gets, which in the case of a politician is really saying something.

So the concern was purely a media and political confection and none of the public, golf commentators, watchers or golfers like us are in the slightest bit bothered that Muirfield doesn't have lady members. Didn't get that impression myself.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

She really is a piece of work eh?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So what? Your a golfer and your type get off nailing a drive down the middle or draining a long tricky putt. Doesn't harm anyone and it keeps you coming back - th eopium of the golfer.

Besides I though we were a little bit more grown up these days than casually and carelessly referring to the 'loony left' just because the likes of the DM perpetuate it for their own purposes - whether it is real or not. Also I think it is inappropriate to imply that a wish or cause supported by a petition of 70,000 and voiced by a left of centre politician is therefore 'loony'.

Yes, I do like doing that but at least I am honest in admitting it.

I dont need the DM to form my opinions, theirs are quite mild against mine :)

I would agree that there are many more than 70K 'looney lefties' available for pointless petitions. Just look to the teachers Unions, Police federation, NHS, or anywhere that the tax payers money is pouring into the black hole of public waste.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the concern was purely a media and political confection and none of the public, golf commentators, watchers or golfers like us are in the slightest bit bothered that Muirfield doesn't have lady members. Didn't get that impression myself.

My recollection is, based on the thread that was running at the time, the majority of forumers recognised the right of a members club to determine who it wished to admit as members.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My recollection is, based on the thread that was running at the time, the majority of forumers recognised the right of a members club to determine who it wished to admit as members.
As did Mrs. harperson when she presented her Equalities Act, just 2 years ago. Now though, she seems to have a problem with single sex members clubs. Well, those with an exclusively male membership that is.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
Given her repeated lack of concern for the safety of other road users, I propose a national 'Harman is behind the wheel' alert system. They could put out on that TP thing that always kicks in and overrides the best bit of your favourite driving track on your cd.

Blue in Munich

Visit site

You've pretty much summed it up there, politician looking for cheap publicity, media looking for an easy headline and most people really not that bothered one way or the other. The impression I got was that a lot of forum members, indeed people in general, would rather that she addressed what were perceived as the country's real problems than stick her oar in here. Still, I suppose it is a slightly more worthy cause than trying to get MP's expenses removed from the scope of the Freedom of Information Act.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've pretty much summed it up there, politician looking for cheap publicity, media looking for an easy headline and most people really not that bothered one way or the other. The impression I got was that a lot of forum members, indeed people in general, would rather that she addressed what were perceived as the country's real problems than stick her oar in here. Still, I suppose it is a slightly more worthy cause than trying to get MP's expenses removed from the scope of the Freedom of Information Act.

Except the 70k who signed the petition. And do you really think that HH spendng a little time on this issue significantly detracts from her working on those other important issues the country is facing - of course it doesn't - those it is easy to pretend that it does. Anyway. We disagree.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Except the 70k who signed the petition. And do you really think that HH spendng a little time on this issue significantly detracts from her working on those other important issues the country is facing - of course it doesn't - those it is easy to pretend that it does. Anyway. We disagree.

According to the BBC report, 70,000 people signed a petition about a female TdF. My comments have related to the Muirfield issue, about which I am not aware of any petition, just the soundbites of Harperson, Alex Salmond & Maria Miller.

If she is spending so much time dealing with the more pressing issues that bother me, and according to the press a significant proportion of the population, then surely she would gain fantastic media coverage for so doing? And yet she doesn't. Which leads me to the conclusion that she works on her agendas, and not necessarily what needs addressing in this country. But as you say, we agree to disagree.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
70,000 signatures is nothing, especially when you consider that a significant number probably have no interest in watching a womens' TdF anyway but were signing merely to support a principle.

The equivalent event died through a lack of sponsorship, if big money sponsors were making a noise that they want the event then it would happen, they aren't.

TV coverage would be minimal, probably on channel 5 at 3 in the morning on Thursdays. Sky wouldn't touch it for the simple fact that the viewing figures would make companies reticent to purchase advertising time during coverage.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
70,000 signatures is nothing, especially when you consider that a significant number probably have no interest in watching a womens' TdF anyway but were signing merely to support a principle.

The equivalent event died through a lack of sponsorship, if big money sponsors were making a noise that they want the event then it would happen, they aren't.

TV coverage would be minimal, probably on channel 5 at 3 in the morning on Thursdays. Sky wouldn't touch it for the simple fact that the viewing figures would make companies reticent to purchase advertising time during coverage.

Bit daft to say it would be on at 3 in the morning, especially as the 1st event if it happened would be screened live. How often do they ride in the dark on the TDF.