• Geoff Ogilvy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lorena Ochoa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Was watching Sky's coverage of the golf this w/e and Ewan Murray mentioned that he always found the hardest shot in the game to be when the ball was resting above his feet in a bunker...

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
It's gotta be the 40 yard bunker shot for me.

How ever much I try this shot I just can't quite get it right. I either take too much sand and it comes up short, or I blade it 60 yards over the green.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
possibly not the hardest but the riskiest has to be the flop shot off the tight lie - surely the highest of high tarrif shots...

pull it off and hear the wows, fail and you'll be looking for your ball in the bund, bunker, trees or maybe even water

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be doing anything to avoid the flop shot off a tight lie. I'd be looking at wall of death options around bunkers, putting it up to the fringe, ramming it into the face of a bunker with a seven iron and hoping it bounces up and over.... nightmare

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I love playing a flop shot off a tight lie. The harder the shot the more I concentrate... I'd much rather this scenario than a straightforward chip - that's got dunch written all over it.

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
The drive down a tight, tree lined fairway can probably do the most damage- smash it in the trees and your likely to make a big number. If you duff a flop shot at least its unlikely to end up in much trouble.

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hardest shot, how about walking back to play three off the tee, the following fourball are standing there stoney faced. You tee it up, address the ball, your nervous, hands shaking, your thinking "pleeeez God let it go down the middle." You look up just to check your target in the distance, your clubface touches the ball and it drops off the tee. Now tee it up again and just try and clear the ladies tee. NOW THAT is the hardest shot in golf. I know i have been there!

Tigers_balls

Visit site
In my opinion the hardest shot has to be a drive down a tight, tree lined fairway. The fear it can strike into the heart of even the most copetent golfer has to be far greater than any other, espeically if you suffer from a wicked slice like me, its goodnight veiena!

AnotherNITBY

Visit site
It has to be a NITBY, off a bare lie, to a pin just the other side of the bunker, and with water at the other side of the green. Probably won't get to sleep tonight now!!

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Lipout, you make a good point. I once played on the Old Course at St. Andrews. My 2nd shot on the 1st came up just short of the swilken burn. I then dunched my chip into the burn... My only option was to play the same shot again. So I did, and guess where the ball finished. It was a bad start to my dream day

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Reading all these just makes me nervus to even think about my next round! Having originally gone for the 3-foot putt to win i now take it back - it's got to be the long-ish par-3 into a stiff sea-breeze...is it the 3-iron (danger of the unmentionable!) or a 3/5-wood (massive high slice diappearing with the wind) - i already feel helpless!!!

Shooter_McGavin

Assistant Pro
Visit site
None of this is doing my confidence any good-Its giving me flash backs of a three footer i missed to win a match on the 15th-missed it and went on to half the match-think i need to go have a lie down!

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday and had to face. 1 - A tight drive down a fairway lined with gorse on both sides. 2 - A 3-iron to a 190 yard par 3 with a 40mph wind off the left and OB to the right of the green. 3 - A 15 yard pitch over a pot bunker with the pin just on the other side and another pot bunker waiting on the other side of the green. It was the third one that had me looking about for the nearest divot to crawl under.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The most difficult shot in my book, is the short chip over a greenside bunker to a tight pin position. It is usually followed by a short bunker shot.

JamieD3

Medal Winner
Visit site
Well said Dave. In my case, when I go into the bunker to play my next shot in this situation, my brain is doing somersaults. This means it's at least another two shots to get the ball on the green from here.

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some very interesting opinions here, but everyone is somehow missing what is undoubtedly the hardest shot in golf - the next iron shot after a shank. Whoever you are you are standing over that ball with zero confidence wondering where that 'golfer's worst nightmare' just came from with every likelihood of producing exactly the same swing and exactly the same result!

Best option after a shank? Simply walk off and come back again another day before it gets irredeemably ingrained into your swing and psyche - or play every remaining shot as as a chip and run with your hosel-less utility club!!