Hard greens

Mandofred

Visit site
Over the last couple of years....a big push to put more and more sand into the greens. Helps with standing up to heavy use, and drainage.....but crap.....I've hit some lovely high shots into greens lately, and they just roll right off the green. The days of landing on the green and making a big dent in the green are over where I play. I might as well just put my repair tool in the bag and forget about it.

petema99

Visit site
We have nice firm greens (especially in summer) too - great to putt on. Probably just need to account for it and hit short for the ball to run in, unless you can get enough spin to stop it on the green, which i ususally can't if hitting from rough or if there is wind behind

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a 4bbb open this weekend at a nearby course. I don't think one of us repaired a pitch mark at any stage, nor did I see any left unrepaired by other groups and we played at 2.50. It seemed weird at first but then you adjust. Perhaps weather related as well?

The Dog.

Visit site
Play for short of the green then and run up to the pin. Imagine you’re at a nice links course because that is what is required there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours are very firm. It is a case of adjusting your game to allow for the run. I am still managing to stop the short irons within a good distance but I play high spin balls.

D

Deleted member 15344

Depends on what iron you are coming in with , also depends on what time of day ( is it after 8 hours of baking sun) , are they ironing them every day ? Allowing them to grow - and what type of course it is

D

Deleted member 3432

Depends if you are into a 2/3 club wind or you are 2/3 downwind :D

Mandofred

Visit site
My point.....was that in past years......a shot from me from 100yds would land on the green, put a decent dent in the ground and just roll out a little bit. Now....yes, I have to allow for a LOT more roll out and have to plan accordingly. It is what it is and I have adjusted..... but the world changes.

D

Deleted member 1147

My point.....was that in past years......a shot from me from 100yds would land on the green, put a decent dent in the ground and just roll out a little bit. Now....yes, I have to allow for a LOT more roll out and have to plan accordingly. It is what it is and I have adjusted..... but the world changes.
You need to put some spin on your wedge shots

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our place in April was like the middle of summer. hit it short watch it run on or through the green. It really was pot luck. May with all the rain we had, you could hold the greens. It was surreal. Now the ball is running through again. The greens look slightly seedy. The next cut and the greens will be like lightning. It’s tough trying to gauge what the run on is going to be.
As a partner says, it’s the same for everyone.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah ours are like that. There's one hole at my place where you can go two clubs short to try and run it onto the green, and it still rolls off the back. It's pretty ridiculous to be honest. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do really.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah ours are like that. There's one hole at my place where you can go two clubs short to try and run it onto the green, and it still rolls off the back. It's pretty ridiculous to be honest. I'm not sure what we're supposed to do really.
If you're talking about the 11th, there's an extra sting in the tail. There's a dip just before the green which means when you try to land it short, it can stop in the dip. So any attempt to run it on has a VERY small margin of error - it'll either stop short or go through the back. The only players who can confidently hold the green are the seriously good ones who can put huge amounts of check on the ball. (Not me, that's for sure)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're talking about the 11th, there's an extra sting in the tail. There's a dip just before the green which means when you try to land it short, it can stop in the dip. So any attempt to run it on has a VERY small margin of error - it'll either stop short or go through the back. The only players who can confidently hold the green are the seriously good ones who can put huge amounts of check on the ball. (Not me, that's for sure)
I've almost had half a plan recently to try and land it on that bank of rough just to the front left of the green and see if that slows it up and lets it kick on.. but I've not been accurate enough to see if that works yet. ?

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
What is your point ?‍♂️
Stating that his ability to hold the green has been diminished by the injection of “more and more” sand in recent years.

We’re doing the same. Tonnes of the stuff. Just when they’re running great, another load gets dumped on. I think it’s to try and reduce fusarium long term. Some playing partners complain bitterly but the work is in the online diary and explanatory emails are sent out. If it works, great. We shall see.

Is it exacerbating the issue stated in the OP? Don’t think so. That’s all down to the weather as stated by others I think.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And still the point is missed.............oh well. I give up.

Perhaps it is you who is missing the point.

Soft greens do not take spin, they just leave a large hole where your ball has landed. [so they suit less skillful players]
Once that happens whatever spin that was imparted is lost.

Firm greens take spin especially if the ball is hit correctly off firm fairways.
This should be noticed on the second bounce when the spin imparted is increased.
On a good green you should be searching for your pitch mark.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
What I take from days like this is how good the top players strike it and control spin, there are not many pga greens where you see big pitch marks, but they all hold the green.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a few elevated greens that, unless your ball is coming in almost vertically, you're not stopping the ball.
You just have to allow for it and adapt your game to the conditions.
Our summer greens are hard and fast, but like all they get softer and slower in winter.
You can't play your winter game in the summer and vice versa..
A good shot, with a good contact and a high spin ball, should stop on all but the most concrete-like greens.
Getting the descent angle high enough is key and most amateurs don't hit the ball high enough.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose that's one of the beauties of golf, you have to be able to adapt to conditions. Our greens are rock hard and sand getting applied every week in the run up to the Amateur, still take a well struck wedge of 8 or 9 iron no problem. Most courses I've played this year have been the same,Brora last week you def had to land it short as it was downwind on the front 9