Hard greens

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A genuine question, do green keepers create artificial breaks, undulations or indents on greens near the hole, using some kind of device ?

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When its firm and fast it's not just a case of landing the ball at a certain point.

If you can you have to try and control the trajectory of the shot aswell. In a lot of cases its hit the ball as high as possible.

I do have the ability to do that with wedges. Fairly good at it too for accessing front / middle pins.

I do tend to hit the ball on the low side with my irons so any shots further out I can struggle with.

Tip to hold par 3s is to tee it up fairly high and kinda scoop though the shot. You can hit a moonball like that and get it to stop fairly quickly.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Absolutey love it when its firm and fast, how its meant to be. Proper mental test dealing with the bad bounces and making plans. Levels the playing field on distance thanks to drives going so far they almost always find trouble. Variance in lies all over the course. Ability to use spin and trajectory to control the ball. Literally sums up why golf is fun for me.

Much more fun than 'Plug and Play' winter style golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A genuine question, do green keepers create artificial breaks, undulations or indents on greens near the hole, using some kind of device ?

Having played at the same course for over 30 years I can say that all the deep tining and the use of a turf iron has definitely changed the breaks the on quite a few greens.