Hands ahead of ball at address

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know at Impact we want hands ahead of ball but I've been messing about and getting decent results starting with them ahead at address (as opposed to previously being in line) being able to return to ahead at impact

Are there any downsides to this? I've watched a few slo-mo rory clips and some he starts ahead and some in line

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I will depend on the club your hitting.

If you adress a wedge, 7 iron and 4 iron, you'll notice the butt end of the club in the shower clubs is ahead of the club head. In the longer clubs less so.

[video]https://youtu.be/28jkGGGr-gc[/video]

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Speight hitting a fade on 18th tee yesterday. Allis (I think) points out how he'll address and keep his hands forward to hit the fade round the corner.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I pretty much always do it unless I am looking for a high flight.

Hands starting ahead will likely lower your flight but pretty much guarantee hitting down ball turf contact.

Sybez

Challenge Tour Pro
www.digitalberry.co.uk
Don't listen to what Peter Allis has to say on anything but old war stories!

Have to tried/seen this practise gizmo? http://www.dstgolf.com/ Could be what you are looking for to help, as said is preferred on shorter irons and wedges rather than longer irons.

Trick is to hit down with hands in front of the ball at impact, but try and keep the attack angle shallow so not taking massive divots. This will help control distance and ball flight.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Saw one of those at The Shire last week - one of the Pros there is really keen on gadgets/aids. The concept seems very sensible!