Handicaps in Greensomes

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i was just wondering whether there was any special method of working out handicaps for Greensomes competitions. Our competition cards are handed to us already marked up and my playing partner and I were given a handicap of 14 on our card. He plays off 11.6 and I am currently off 17.8. My thoughts were that we played off half of the combined and so should have been given a handicap of 15 and not 14 as half the combined is 14.7 so rounded up to 15. Thing is that one shot would be the difference between first and second in the weekend honours board competition.

(I would just add that the results were not on the board when I was last at the club but the pro shop told me that a 65 had won when I phoned in. We shot a 66 on the card with a 14 handicap so it is just possible that it has been adjusted and we have won but that may be wishful thinking)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We use half combined, as apparently the correct way of doing it is too complicated for the membership to calculate.

And the combined is playing handicaps, not exact decimals added together.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
We use half combined, as apparently the correct way of doing it is too complicated for the membership to calculate.

And the combined is playing handicaps, not exact decimals added together.

you will always use the playing handicap under CONGU for any calculations, but you only then apply a final rounding after then calculations are complete.

in this case that means -

11.7=12 x 0.6 = 7.2 added to 17.8=18 x 0.4 = 7.2 so 14.4 is then rounded to 14

I mention it as I've met people trying to do every combination from (11.7 x 0.6) + (17.8 x 0.4) = 14.14 rounded to 14 on the one hand to 11.7 = 12 x 0.6 = 7.2 = 7 added to 17.8 = 18 x 0.4 = 7.2 = 7 to get 14

In this case I think all the combinations get to the same answer of 14, but that's definitely not always the case!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The easiest way is to get two copies of the CONGU Appendix F (link posted above by Twire) and put one on the notice board and one in the pro shop.
Saves a lot of brain ache.