Handicap

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More predictive text problems?

I would criticise but I am an awful typist. If you were to see how many corrections I have to make before hitting 'post reply'..............
You learn something every day. Today’s lesson is: Don’t post when you have just got in from a night out! 😀

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
There's a few reasons I don't enjoy generally playing with people over say 17 handicap.
I generally hit the ball an average of 290 off the tee, I can hit it up to 100 yards past them. I have to troop about looking for balls and I have to wait what seems like a long time to hit my shot. Find it hard to get into any sort of rythym. It's not an enjoyable experience for me, I also find they have poor etiquette on tees and on and around the greens, they don't realise shadows can be off putting, they don't Mark balls, walk over lines, stand in line of sight.

Nothing better than playing with someone who does a 360 of the putt lines it up a million times take 4 million practice swings before every shot, talks you through every good shot and stoney silence through every bad shot.

I’d play with a high handicapper who was out to enjoy themselves competition or not compared to tiger woods playing off 6 :sleep::sleep::sleep:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing better than playing with someone who does a 360 of the putt lines it up a million times take 4 million practice swings before every shot, talks you through every good shot and stoney silence through every bad shot.

I’d play with a high handicapper who was out to enjoy themselves competition or not compared to tiger woods playing off 6 :sleep::sleep::sleep:
Haha I'd chuck it if I was off 6, genuinely couldn't enjoy playing off that. It's all relative, just the way I am

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a few reasons I don't enjoy generally playing with people over say 17 handicap.
I generally hit the ball an average of 290 off the tee, I can hit it up to 100 yards past them. I have to troop about looking for balls and I have to wait what seems like a long time to hit my shot. Find it hard to get into any sort of rythym. It's not an enjoyable experience for me, I also find they have poor etiquette on tees and on and around the greens, they don't realise shadows can be off putting, they don't Mark balls, walk over lines, stand in line of sight.

I'm more concerned about someone's course etiquette than their handicap. Also I'm staggered by the number of low (cat 1.) golfers that think they're too good to replace divots or fill in the divots with sand on the tee box!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry but that's a pathetic and elitist attitude...
But, given his explanation of 'why', I see no 'elitism' about - simply a reasoned 'preference'!

Note that word 'preference'!

I should hope that vhenever the occasion arises where he does play with a high-capper, then he also takes the opportunity to (delicately and. probably best after, or with explanation about 'why' for specific instances during the round) suggest how the high-capper's ignorance of 'etiquette' can be improved.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
But, given his explanation of 'why', I see no 'elitism' about - simply a reasoned 'preference'!

Note that word 'preference'!

I should hope that vhenever the occasion arises where he does play with a high-capper, then he also takes the opportunity to (delicately and. probably best after, or with explanation about 'why' for specific instances during the round) suggest how the high-capper's ignorance of 'etiquette' can be improved.

Fat chance, I think a lot of higher handicappers will have had a lucky escape playing against him.

Personally there are morons across all levels of golf and you must be bit of asad, narrow minded person to think anything different.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Fat chance, I think a lot of higher handicappers will have had a lucky escape playing against him.

Personally there are morons across all levels of golf and you must be bit of asad, narrow minded person to think anything different.

I probably am!

But the biblical expression 'Physician, heal thyself' springs to mind also!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

As I say I don't play in drawn handicap competitions, can't be bothered with it and tend to play 36 holers and other events around the central belt of Scotland. I dont mind playing with high guys now and again but if it's a medal or something I'd really prefer not to because of stated reaaons and i dont find it enjoyable alot of the time. For those who say you were a beginner and people must have played with you, well not really as I taught myself how to play golf and my first hcap was 10. All preferences of my own, I have nothing against playing with them in bounce games but in a medal I'd rather not as it feels too much stop start for me a lot of the time

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand some of the hatred towards some of the posters on this thread. If you don't want to play with a high handicap golfer because it ruins your round having to wait for multiple shots and search endlessly for balls then that's fine, it's up to them. I'd understand if they said in the next breath that they struggle to find people to play golf with.

People seem to be appalled by this. It's their money and time so leave them to it

DD32

Visit site
I took up golf about 10 years ago, lasted about a month due to the negativity about a high handicap.

Started playing again in September , joined a club where i was made to feel welcome and got a handicap of 32.

Joined the winter league that runs Oct to the end of march where your best 13 scores count. There are 30 of us in it, two of the top 3 have the lowest handicaps in the league, our captain unofficially changes your handicap based on your score, im down to 30 now. All us high handicapers of 28 and over are in the bottom 7.

Fortunately my club is very welcoming and the majority of everyone is happy to play with each other, support each other and offer advice over a pint or on the course.

I dont want to be a high handicap forever so im having lessons, some weeks on the course i score mid 20s best is a 41 and the majority are low to mid 30s. Ive had 3 birdies which im amazed at.

Shame that some dont like playing with high handicapers, at the end of the day we are all there to play golf. Some just happen to be better than others

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some players don't seem to like playing with anyone but the majority of players I've met in my golfing life are happy to play with anybody

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I took up golf about 10 years ago, lasted about a month due to the negativity about a high handicap.

Started playing again in September , joined a club where i was made to feel welcome and got a handicap of 32.

Joined the winter league that runs Oct to the end of march where your best 13 scores count. There are 30 of us in it, two of the top 3 have the lowest handicaps in the league, our captain unofficially changes your handicap based on your score, im down to 30 now. All us high handicapers of 28 and over are in the bottom 7.

Fortunately my club is very welcoming and the majority of everyone is happy to play with each other, support each other and offer advice over a pint or on the course.

I dont want to be a high handicap forever so im having lessons, some weeks on the course i score mid 20s best is a 41 and the majority are low to mid 30s. Ive had 3 birdies which im amazed at.

Shame that some dont like playing with high handicapers, at the end of the day we are all there to play golf. Some just happen to be better than others
I wish you well in your golf, but would you really enjoy playing with a scratch player or plus handicap player who's hitting it most likely a long way past you, hitting most fairways and at least 2 thirds of greens.
It would probably make you feel a little uncomfortable and nervous. It's not good in competition for either type of player in my opinion

DD32

Visit site
I wish you well in your golf, but would you really enjoy playing with a scratch player or plus handicap player who's hitting it most likely a long way past you, hitting most fairways and at least 2 thirds of greens.
It would probably make you feel a little uncomfortable and nervous. It's not good in competition for either type of player in my opinion
No, i enjoy it. As mentioned the majority of golfers in our club are very supportive of each other.

I watch and learn, they offer tips and support

All very pleasant

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
No, i enjoy it. As mentioned the majority of golfers in our club are very supportive of each other.

I watch and learn, they offer tips and support

All very pleasant
How many scratch guys or plus guys have you played with? I know I make higher guys nervous because when they see your hcap they tell you a lot of the time. If you can hit a fairly straight ball, can keep up and have etiquette no problem. If you hit it in the junk a lot, break rules like not knowing about drops or build stances in bushes etc it's going to take time and it's going to get pretty wearing in a hurry.

DD32

Visit site
How many scratch guys or plus guys have you played with? I know I make higher guys nervous because when they see your hcap they tell you a lot of the time. If you can hit a fairly straight ball, can keep up and have etiquette no problem. If you hit it in the junk a lot, break rules like not knowing about drops or build stances in bushes etc it's going to take time and it's going to get pretty wearing in a hurry.
A few, not lots though

However, Just because someone has a high handicap doesnt mean they dont know the rules.

Ive also managed to not lose a ball for 5 rounds, one of ours this week lost 4 on Saturday, he plays off 3 and had a mare. We didnt complain about having to look for his ball so often!