Handicap

D

Deleted member 15344

Good to see Handicap snobbery is alive and well - golf courses wouldn’t survive without handicap golfers and that’s all handicaps - the average HC is just under 19 and each one of your clubs needs those high handicaps -

I’m a low HC and I’m more than happy to play with any handicap level - how well they hit the is irrelevant to myself having a nice round of golf

We have all been a high handicap at some point and a lot stay high but still enjoy the game

Dannyc

Visit site
Bit harsh refusing to play someone who ain’t as good as u
I agree with the bandits though they should be punished
Golfers with high handicaps but try there best and want to play the game are different

user104

Visit site
OK folks maybe my question was a bit ambiguousi dont want this to get out of hand i`m will go back to hacking the ball round the course and others can go and play golf.

To any moderators maybe you`d better remove this thread

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
There's a few reasons I don't enjoy generally playing with people over say 17 handicap.
I generally hit the ball an average of 290 off the tee, I can hit it up to 100 yards past them. I have to troop about looking for balls and I have to wait what seems like a long time to hit my shot. Find it hard to get into any sort of rythym. It's not an enjoyable experience for me, I also find they have poor etiquette on tees and on and around the greens, they don't realise shadows can be off putting, they don't Mark balls, walk over lines, stand in line of sight.

Homer

Visit site
42 handicappers are still learning the game and should stick to lessons, the range and beginners courses until they have some semblance of grasp of the game.

I don’t need them playing with me making me look for their balls on every other hole or in front of me not wanting to let me through.

That’s why decent courses have handicap limits to play them.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
OK folks maybe my question was a bit ambiguousi dont want this to get out of hand i`m will go back to hacking the ball round the course and others can go and play golf.

It sounds like you are enjoying yourself and also aware of your current abilities. So just crack on and keep enjoying it and stay aware of other golfers.

The OP was a little unclear, but to try have a go at anwering very crudely.

If you score 114, the 4 capper scores 76.
Take off both your handicaps and it would be a tie.
Is that what you were asking?

Also keep in mind there are "informal" handicaps, which is what yours would be, and proper recognised club handicaps.

Enjoy the journey.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There's a few reasons I don't enjoy generally playing with people over say 17 handicap.
I generally hit the ball an average of 290 off the tee, I can hit it up to 100 yards past them. I have to troop about looking for balls and I have to wait what seems like a long time to hit my shot. Find it hard to get into any sort of rythym. It's not an enjoyable experience for me, I also find they have poor etiquette on tees and on and around the greens, they don't realise shadows can be off putting, they don't Mark balls, walk over lines, stand in line of sight.
And low handicappers have long PSRs, moan about how everything is something else’s fault when they have a bad shot, don’t talk to other players as they take it too seriously and think their life depends on shooting par..........😀😀😀😀😀
Bit of predictable stuff by someone who has never made a mistake on a course 😃

User20204

Visit site
I also find they have poor etiquette on tees and on and around the greens, they don't realise shadows can be off putting, they don't Mark balls, walk over lines, stand in line of sight.

One of my playing partners has been playing the game near on 50 years and has the worst golfing etiquette of anyone I have ever came across, thing is, he doesn't do it intentionally, he just has no awareness. The funniest thing I've heard say to him was only a matter of weeks ago..."you're dancing around like a seagull searching for worms" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: which has everyone rolling in hysterics but he just doesn't know he's doing it, and he's not a high handicapper.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
And low handicappers have long PSRs, moan about how everything is something else’s fault when they have a bad shot, don’t talk to other players as they take it too seriously and think their life depends on shooting par..........😀😀😀😀😀
Bit of predictable stuff by someone who has never made a mistake on a course 😃
I have a good attitude towards playing partners and am pretty talkative. Hit poor shots all the time but do my best to hit the next one good, I try and shoot under par when I play not par

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry but that's a pathetic and elitist attitude. You may be good now but there were times when you started when you made a hash of it, didn't know all the rules and committed unintentional etiquette faux pas. With that attitude, the shoe would be on the other foot and I wouldn't want to share a round with you and your snobbish attitude and would rather play with a high handicapper, all of which you seem to be tarring with the same brush. I would rather play with someone that could laugh at their mistakes, willingly help look for a lost ball, enjoy themselves and be good company to enjoy a game with. What would you do then on a GM meet like H4H? Simply not play because someone isn't up to your standard

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry but that's a pathetic and elitist attitude. You may be good now but there were times when you started when you made a hash of it, didn't know all the rules and committed unintentional etiquette faux pas. With that attitude, the shoe would be on the other foot and I wouldn't want to share a round with you and your snobbish attitude and would rather play with a high handicapper, all of which you seem to be tarring with the same brush. I would rather play with someone that could laugh at their mistakes, willingly help look for a lost ball, enjoy themselves and be good company to enjoy a game with. What would you do then on a GM meet like H4H? Simply not play because someone isn't up to your standard
put like that homer I bet he,s gutted you would,nt want to play with him:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I've no interest in forum meets, if you'd rather play with them that's great I'm really not very bothered

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the great things about golf IMO is that it is always a challenge. A tough par 4 is a challenge. An easy par 4 stroke 18 is a challenge because you may have to birdie it. The game is a physical and mental challenge that will test you every time you play. Play a scratch player and you better be on your game or you are going to be trounced. Play a high handicapper and guess what? The same thing applies. Both players offer the same challenge. You can embrace it or go off and sulk and moan it isn’t fair.
I have enjoyed great games with players of all abilities all because of the handicap system. When not abused it’s brilliant. In 30 years I can’t remember a match I have not enjoyed regardless of how I played. I have played with some real high handicap hackers who were genuinely nice people and really keen to learn the game and improve. I have seen some of those get lower than me.
For me, if you restrict who you play with based on their level of competency you are missing out and you should be pleased others had a different attitude when you were learning.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would add that there is often a misconception about handicap golf competitions. Odd as it may seem the competition is not about who is the best golfer on the day (though there may be a best grass prize). The competition is about who has played best in relation to their handicap on the day.
If all competitions were scratch comps only a handful would enter, to the degree that they would hardly be considered competitions at all.
Those who would rather not play with golfers they deem to have too high a handicap, be that cat 2, cat 3, 24, 28, 36... may wish to consider this is amateur golf. Whether someone is considered good at something is dependent on who they are compared to. If you are say a county player you are a big fish at club level but absolutely unnoticeable in the pro game. So is a 4 handicapper really good enough to claim they shouldn’t have to play with a high handicapper? I would say not. A tour pro, may well see someone off 4 as a high handicapper.
Last week it was the Pebble Brach Pro Am. The worlds best golfers playing with 18 handicappers. If it’s good enough for them...

user104

Visit site
I really did not want this thread to turn out the way it did, so because i started it i can go slighlly of topic and call it

`Handicaps when practicing on your garden`

I once hit my bathroom window it didn`t smash....... i chiipped up it hit the concrete post and shot up and whack............. wife was :mad:

A friend broke a window in his neighbours greenhouse once

any one hit the dog or cat or wife !!!!!

:)