handicap question

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
I have read many comments on here where people state that the first handicap is based on the best of the three cards, however when I got my initial handicap in March it was calculated on an average of the three cards. My handicap averaged 27, but my best card was 23.
I believe my club use handicap master software. Has the system changed recently? I presume their software is up to date.

Although at the time I was disapointed with 27, it made me competative and it is on the way down.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Here we go, copy and pasted from the CONGU website.

It clearly states "The best card"

I think you need to point your handicap secretary to the CONGU website.

Q.1 How do I obtain a handicap?

A.1 A CONGU® Unified Handicap can be allotted only to a Member of a golf club that is affiliated, as defined, to a National Union. To obtain a handicap a player is required to submit a number of cards over 18 holes at his Home Club (preferably over a Measured Course), in such a manner as his Home Club specifies, but not less than three. Each card must be signed by a responsible person acceptable to the Handicap Committee. Any score of 2 over par for men and 3 over par for ladies shall be amended to 2 [3] over par respectively. After these adjustments have been made an Exact Handicap (whole number) should be allotted equivalent to the number of strokes by which the best of the submitted cards differs from the Standard Scratch Score.

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
I was wondering if this was an historical thing. Ie average was used 12 months ago and has changed or vice versa?

In my case a rough calc would put me off about 22/23 so little difference as with 4 handicap comps left I would hope to end the season with at least 1 more cut.

Before the adjustments my cards were 100 104 & 110, although the 100 had a couple of big numbers hence worked out at 23.
My last two medal rounds were 91, so definite improvement and had a few +0.1's off 27 so probably a fair representation of my ability at the time.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Strictly it should be the best of the three as Twire says.

One other thing you need to just check is that you're assessing it against the SSS rather than par, as the two are not always the same. Is SSS lower than par at your course?

mrwoo

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes mine was assessed on SS70 on a par 72.
My last two cuts have been on CSS 69 so realy having to work for them.

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
Strictly it should be the best of the three as Twire says.

One other thing you need to just check is that you're assessing it against the SSS rather than par, as the two are not always the same. Is SSS lower than par at your course?

In all honesty, it does not really matter. Once you get your first handicap - it will sort itself out over time. If it is wrong, it will quickly adjust. The important thing is that you have your first official handicap - so your golf career can now begin!

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I was wondering if this was an historical thing. Ie average was used 12 months ago and has changed or vice versa?

It may have been under the "old" system but my impression would be that most old committee men are of the "two arms, two legs, eighteen" breed so I doubt it. Current CONGU regs have been in for a long time. Problem is, there are too many committees who think they are there to make rules not simply implement them.

Simo19

Hacker
Visit site
At our club it is 3 cards plus Nine holes with a member of the handicap committee who checks your etiquette and basic rules knowledge, just the odd question as you play your round. But I think his assessment of your game also counts to your initial handicap....

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Count yourself lucky, mine was done on my best card and I was given a h'cap of 9. 5 1/2 years later having worked my way up to 12.6 at the end of 2009 I'm only 0.7 away from getting back there :D

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
Count yourself lucky, mine was done on my best card and I was given a h'cap of 9. 5 1/2 years later having worked my way up to 12.6 at the end of 2009 I'm only 0.7 away from getting back there :D

Another common fudge employed by many handicap committees. It's supposed to be a whole number handicap to start. I similarly started off 10 (should have been 13 according to the rules). Also spent 2 to 3 years going up before my ability met my handicap so to speak at 12 and came down to 9 quickly as soon as things "clicked". Could easily have given up though getting maybe 1 red score and a couple of buffer zones a season. Glad I didn't though :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Another common fudge employed by many handicap committees. It's supposed to be a whole number handicap to start. I similarly started off 10 (should have been 13 according to the rules). Also spent 2 to 3 years going up before my ability met my handicap so to speak at 12 and came down to 9 quickly as soon as things "clicked". Could easily have given up though getting maybe 1 red score and a couple of buffer zones a season. Glad I didn't though :D

Count yourself lucky, mine was done on my best card and I was given a h'cap of 9.

5 1/2 years later having worked my way up to 12.6 at the end of 2009 I'm only 0.7 away from getting back there.

Look better? :D

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Count yourself lucky, mine was done on my best card and I was given a h'cap of 9.

5 1/2 years later having worked my way up to 12.6 at the end of 2009 I'm only 0.7 away from getting back there.

I figured the Space after the full stop would be enough, plus the fact that it would be pretty impossible to go up 3.6 in 6 months, my h'cap in my sig is 9.7 and no-one would write "1/2 years later" would mean it was fairly unambiguous :D

Your way is clearer though :D

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner

Ah, much better for my eyesight thanks :D

I read that as 9.5 then 1 to 2 years later ......

I'll have a lie down now. :D

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have read many comments on here where people state that the first handicap is based on the best of the three cards, however when I got my initial handicap in March it was calculated on an average of the three cards. My handicap averaged 27, but my best card was 23.
I believe my club use handicap master software. Has the system changed recently? I presume their software is up to date.

Although at the time I was disapointed with 27, it made me competative and it is on the way down.

The Handicapmaster software (or any other handicapping software) has no involvement in deciding on initial handicap allocation - it's up to the handicap committee.