Handicap question when "leaving" a club for over 1 year

• Thread starter Deleted member 18121
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Hi all

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm struggling to find a proper answer.

Over the past year I have only played 3 qualifying rounds (nothing since september) and my handicap certificate shows a "c" next to the handicap.

I've been really struggling to find time to play and in light of this will only join the par 3 section of my club for the coming year. If I were then to re-join a club in May 2021 what would be the status of my handicap and what else would I need to consider? (I'm finding contrasting info about my old handicap still being valid).

Cheers all

adam

Swango1980

Visit site
No need to worry

Come November this year, WHS will be our new handicapping system, and there will be no such thing as "c" status anymore. You will simply have a handicap. In terms of potentially leaving a club (and not having a handicap) and then rejoining, I suspect your handicap will still be valid from before you left. I don't think the official WHS handbook is out yet, but given you are talking May 2021, I can't see that being anywhere near long enough to lose your handicap if you were to rejoin the club.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good question.

If we were continuing with the CONGU system, the answer would be that your handicap and its "c" status would be restored if you re-joined within 12 months. If you re-joined later than 12 months you would have to go through the 3-card submission process with previous handicap taken into account - highly likely, given your stated timescale, at the previous level.

However, along comes WHS in which "c" status disappears. I don't think CONGU has issued advice on players who have lost their handicap but I suspect your playing history will be resurrected and a Handicap Index calculated.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Sorry for the basic question, but I'm struggling to find a proper answer.

Over the past year I have only played 3 qualifying rounds (nothing since september) and my handicap certificate shows a "c" next to the handicap.

I've been really struggling to find time to play and in light of this will only join the par 3 section of my club for the coming year. If I were then to re-join a club in May 2021 what would be the status of my handicap and what else would I need to consider? (I'm finding contrasting info about my old handicap still being valid).

Cheers all

adam
When would you resign from your club?
If your club didn't remove your record as part of the pre WHS housekeeping, I reckon Rosecott is correct.

D

Deleted member 18121

When would you resign from your club?
If your club didn't remove your record as part of the pre WHS housekeeping, I reckon Rosecott is correct.

This year's membership finishes on 31st April. I doubt a handicap would be maintained on essentially a pitch and putt course? (Maybe a question for the club).

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year's membership finishes on 31st April. I doubt a handicap would be maintained on essentially a pitch and putt course? (Maybe a question for the club).
Would pay the same membership to only play the P&P course?
You could ask them to leave your handicap record on the system until the WHS transition is over and rejoin full membership in May 2031 but with your recent playing record I would be asking for 3 new cards anyway. Your original CDH ID will be retained whatever you do.

D

Deleted member 18121

You could ask them to leave your handicap record on the system until the WHS transition is over and rejoin full membership in May 2031 but with your recent playing record I would be asking for 3 new cards anyway. Your original CDH ID will be retained whatever you do.

Full membership is £900, Flexi (24 rounds main course and unlimited par 3) £600 and par 3 course is £350

So theory is that I can play other places once or so per month and not to be too far off of the same fees.

Point taken on the 3 cards... Doesnt worry me, just wondered on the mechanics.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I would be asking for 3 cards in 2031 anyway:D