Handicap experts - a question for you

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Have I been harshly treated by our handicap secretary?

I put my 3 cards in for my handicap which was 1 x 16 over (adjusted to 14) and 2 x 18 overs (both adjusted to 16) and was given 14 for my new handicap.

I played my 1st comp on Wednesday and came in with 40pts off 14 (its without doubt THE best round of golf i've ever played) and i've been cut 1.5 down to 12.5 playing off 13.

I spoke to my brother last night who reckons the most i shouldve been cut is 0.9, anyone any ideas?

I know I had a great round in the comp but I really will struggle to regularly play to 13, I aint no goddamn bandit either :(

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Doesn't seem unrealistic to me 14 initial handicap is due to best card now being used and cut will be dependant on CSS if it's gone up 1 40 points 5 under x 0.3 is the 1.5 shots. Good shooting keep positive and believe you can play lower as you have done around 9 over gross? Done it once you can donor again but if you start thinking the whole world and handicap sec are against you, you will score poorly.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would guess CSS was one over par, and being a cat 3 golfer, you will be cut 0.3 for each shot below your handicap...so 1.5 is correct, if CSS was indeed one over par.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seems perfectly acceptable, handicap is a judge of ability and not form. Even if you are playing of 13 you still have a 3 shot buffer zone so you can shoot 15 or 16 over and stay the same (depending on CSS).

Well done on 40 points :thup:

T

thecraw

Only 40 points, you'll need to improve if you want to compete with Valentino and Bunkers!

Couple of el banditos!

AyrshireGolfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Seems perfectly acceptable, handicap is a judge of ability and not form.

First time I have heard that.

I am waiting on getting my handicap through today. Cards were 106, 101 & 84.

22 stokes a difference between best and worst card, but would imagine they will look more at the 84 than the 106/101.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know I had a great round in the comp but I really will struggle to regularly play to 13, I aint no goddamn bandit either :(

why would you struggle to play to 13 if you scored 40 points off 14?:confused:

surely you should be pleased at the extra reduction, is it not your goal to play off as low as possible ?

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
why would you struggle to play to 13 if you scored 40 points off 14?:confused:

surely you should be pleased at the extra reduction, is it not your goal to play off as low as possible ?

It is my goal yes, but its my goal to achieve a low handicap gradually and not suddenly as I have. This all comes down to a discussion from another thread last week, there is nothing more demoralising than being unable to play to a handicap.....and I dont think I'm a 13 handicapper!

The round I played when getting 40pts was like nothing ive ever done before, I'd love to sit here and say I can do it again on Saturday but I know for a fact that the golf I played on Wednesday evening is nowhere near my standard. :(

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not having a pop. You may surprise yourself. I came down from 11 to 9 last year in a couple of big jumps. I thought I would struggle I've had 2 0.1's back in 7-8 comps, been in the buffer the rest of the time.

this includes joining a harder course in this time also. Don't be scared of the lower handicap embrace it. it will focus you mind,

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
First time I have heard that.

I am waiting on getting my handicap through today. Cards were 106, 101 & 84.

22 stokes a difference between best and worst card, but would imagine they will look more at the 84 than the 106/101.

Not only will they look at the 84 current congu guidelines mean your handicap will be the amount over SSS this is approx 12 unless there are any trebles to trim.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ah, the joys of 'proper' handicaps - versus Society ones.

If the 3 cards for handicap are also recent, you are showing remarkable consistency for a 13-capper.

Congu handicaps are indeed based on 'ability' rather than actual scoring. The way the system works, at your level you are 'expected' to play to greater than 16 at least 3 times as often as you play to less than 13 - indeed probably more like 5 times as often. This is because your 'really bad rounds' - that are outside your 3 shot buffer - count 0.1 each. Your 'better than 13' rounds count 0.3 for each shot below 13!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if it was the Seeley course, off white or blue tees, then 35 points is playing to handicap based on the SSS - this may differ from the actual CSS on the day but provides a good basis for this discussion.

40 points is 5 better than this - you are cat 3 so it's 5 x 0.3= 1.5 reduction.

so, no treatement at all, just system output

fwiw you would probably be given a further reduction at some courses for such a score straight after handicap allocation; committees are required to monitor performance in the first few comps...the logic is simple, if you had put that card in as one of your 3 you would have been allocated 9