Hand welded... Urgh!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Definitely not for my taste, what a way to destroy the look and finish of a putter, no wonder its not available to buy in shops!
(apparently it's for Reed to use at the RC)

patrick-reed-putter-face.jpg

You?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not know what a 'normal' one looks like but it looks to me like he simply wanted to have the hosel further back in the head.

Easier to do it this way for a one off than set a hole new CNC milling op.

If it works then maybe they will bring out a new model.

D

Deleted member 21258

Love the look of hand welding :cool: (and its certainly a lot better than I can Tig or Mig weld, so who am I to pass comment)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I do not know what a 'normal' one looks like but it looks to me like he simply wanted to have the hosel further back in the head.

Easier to do it this way for a one off than set a hole new CNC milling op.

If it works then maybe they will bring out a new model.

Its certainly listed as 'customised' (here's the article if anyone interested) but I'd guess he didn't say just wack it on like you've used too much superglue :p)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d imagine that is a decent sign if Reed is changing his putter at this stage in the season.

You don’t often change your putter when you are holing much.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you're going to make an adjustment why not get Scotty Cameron to do it for you and do a proper job. That looks rubbish

Scotty Cameron did do it for Patrick Reed. The whole point of it is to look hand done. It won’t be used at the Ryder Cup, he will be using his white hot still.

D

Deleted member 15344

I keep seeing the picture and I’m really struggling to see the issue ? It looks lovely

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stunning looking putter in my opinion and in the 'Scotty Cameron' collecting world add value to the putters that have been welded like this. I think it's so that the tour players get exactly what they want after a fitting.

I've attached a pic of my friends Super Rat, it's a 1.5 neck that's been welded (same as Reed's), this was exactly the look and what he was looking for and cost him thousands, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that!Super Rat.png

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Well its true then, there's nowt as queer as folk

I just look at the finish on the two pieces of metal that're being joined... and then hurl at the standard of finish on the join itself o_O

I've seen better welds on cars going round cowdenbeath racewall :D

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I completely agree, it's not the fact that it's welded that's putting me off it's the fact that it's a bad weld in itself. Good welding is an art-form that I respect greatly, particularly because I'm an engineering and steel bicycle nerd.

This just isn't a good enough quality that elevates an ordinary piece of machined metal to the categroy of hand crafted quality. In my opinion. :)

If it was welded well I'd be drooling all over it, but I can't unsee the obvious wart.